forum

osu!Tambourine, DIY Taiko/Tatacon drum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
broswen
DIY Tatacon/Taiko drum (made from a tambourine)

I have recently gotten into Taiko mode on osu! and have seen videos of people playing with the Wii Tatacon controller.
I was appalled by the price. I decided that I could make a homemade version that was much cheaper and still perform well enough to enjoy playing Taiko with it.

The whole thing is made from the cheapest materials possible. A $13 tambourine, some $1 piezo sensors, and extra foam/wood that I had laying around my house. The most expensive part was the Teensy 3.2, which is much more complex/versatile than needed for this project.

Overall, the project went smoothly. The only issue was getting the foam in the right position to isolate the middle sensors from each other while being sensitive to their respective sides of the drum.

For the drumsticks, I took some wooden dowels that were laying around and sanded the "head" end until they were round. I am currently applying varnish and will post a picture when I am finished with the sanding/varnish process.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/vuR5r

Main view

Underside view
More detailed views are in the imgur album.

Schematic

Bill of Materials:
SPOILER
Name Qty Price
-----------------------------------
Generic Tambourine 1 $13
Teensy 3.2 1 $25
Piezo Transducer 4 $1
1Mohm Resistor 4 $1
Foam Padding 1 $0
Total $46~

Build process:
1. Removed nails holding the tambourine "jingles" with a pliers.
2. Find a board to act as a crosspiece/support for Teensy and sensors.
3. Mount sensors on either side of crosspiece and on the underside of the rims.
4. Cover middle sensors with foam and add a vibration dampener in between to prevent both sensors activating at the same time.
5. Wire up resistors and sensors to protoboard and connect Teensy
6. Upload code.
7. Finished!

Teensyduino Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/62q27x8dc0wyb ... e.ino?dl=1

If anyone has any suggestions or questions feel free to post below. :D
ArcanaSol
Hello broswen,

Good to know your build worked well. I'd like to make a drum that is roughly the same diameter/weight of the actual Taiko arcade drums, but have been having quite a time trying to wrap my head around how to build it so this is helpful information. Do you think the sensors of this build would work scaled up to that size (roughly 15" diameter)?
megahaze
I want to see that thing in action :)