forum

Would you come to an osu! festival? (located in Netherlands)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Hey everyone. Haven't really written a forum post before (and posted it on the wrong forum earlier), so bear with me here.

I've been playing this game for about 1.5 years now, and the idea of having one big osu festival/event has gotten more and more appealing to me.
What's bugging me is that I don't know how many people would be willing to actually come to this (located in the netherlands, probably close to german and belgium border) and if they would be willing to pay an entry fee. So I created a quick strawpoll.
Also. You have to understand that the entry fee is not for my profit. It's to pay for the location, services and permits needed for all this to happen. I don't necessarily want to make profit off of this.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12522011

Depending on the interest I'll start slowly organizing this and hopefully get a few sponsors with me.
My ultimate dream is for this to become a big festival, where big companies like razer, wacom, gaomon and benq can come and provide us with some of their hardware for everyone to test out and play on. I'd also like to have a tournament with some top players. But that's.... Really big thinking on my side.

Anyway. Let me know what you think of this.

cavoeboy
Kaiden Mikami
I think you should post this here
JonnyBravo
Maybe a good idea but I feel it should be held in a place more populated with osu players like.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy

Kaiden Mikami wrote:

I think you should post this here
I posted it there before, but removed it when I saw that it's anything non-osu related. And this is definitely related to osu.

ColoGuy wrote:

Maybe a good idea but I feel it should be held in a place more populated with osu players like.
Well yes. I can easily hold it in Germany, because I live close to the border. America not so much. I'd be flying there and back a few times at least, and with the money I currently have available I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I hope there's enough people around Germany interested in this.
marshallracer
Venlo would be the only place in the Netherlands where I could travel with my uni ticket for free so therefore it'd be the only attractive place (for me at least) over there

Strawpoll is allright, I voted for 10 bucks but that'd be more like the maximum I'd really be willing to pay, 5-10 is the range I'd find acceptable but obviously this depends on various factors

Not an outright "osu! Festival" but in Krefeld (roughly a 1 hour train ride from the NL border) there'll be a general "rhythm game party" if you wanna call it like that at a pretty cool gaming bar (TaKeTV Bar), hosting DDR, SDVX & osu! Tournaments (with quite a few top german players like e.g. Imamoto and whoever's good I guess), an "Anime Cinema" sponsored by Crunchyroll an a J-Core Afterparty at 5€ entrance (more info in the Thread located in the German subforum -> t/564960
With the bar having quite a few tight connections around the gaming scene its quite a big thing but your dreams ain't that unrealistic if you ask me, you just gotta approach the right people at the right places
Topic Starter
cavoeboy

marshallracer wrote:

Venlo would be the only place in the Netherlands where I could travel with my uni ticket for free so therefore it'd be the only attractive place (for me at least) over there
Venlo is indeed the place I'm thinking of. It has good connections with train and highway. It's not near a big airport, although Eindhoven airport is not that far (50 minutes by car) for anyone flying in from Europe. Plus tickets are really cheap, some plane tickets start from as low as 20. :)

Big dreams man.
Pittigbaasje
Like marshallracer pointed out. I would be interested in (small) events like these if the price was between 5-10 euros.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Alright. One month after the poll.
These are the results.
http://puu.sh/vjmjk.png
Looks like I'll have to try to keep ticket price to about 10 dollars.
I'll start contacting some people and discuss location, date and duration with them.
In one month I will post an update again. See you then.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Quick update before I leave for work. Last few days we've been to visit a possible location in Venlo. Monday we're having a meeting with the owner about hiring it for 10 days. Here are a few pictures.

Will post update as soon as possible!
marshallracer
holy crap, that looks like a hell lot of space
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Yeah! I think we could fit up to 1000 people in there if not more. With this particular location we're aiming for at least 500 visitors at €10 (makes calculations a lot easier) entry price. Don't want to say too much though, cause we might as well not have a deal with the owner. Will update monday for sure!
Luqanted
yeah id go if im not busy lol
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Alright. Meeting went okay I guess. That big space I showed earlier is not available in september (they're going to build some weird stuff in there) but they offered us 2 floors in their main building instead. The lower floor is one with a high ceiling, and with a stage. I guess we could have our main stage there. The higher floor is a normal office floor, so we can use that for people who want to bring their own PCs/laptops/tablets and have a spot to play.
No more info.
They're sending us blueprints of the floors soon.

To be continued.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
It's been a while guys! Where do I start... So the location I showed earlier, didn't work out. I didn't want to write a post here about it failing, so I waited until we got a new location, and we have one. It's in Eindhoven and it will accomodate around 80-120 people. It has good transport connections; it's on the busline between the airport and the train station, so if you happen to come by plane or train, no problem! Busstop is right in front of the location.
The deal is almost done, we just need to go back there one more time to test the internet and we're good to go. We have to let them know before 1 september if the event will actually happen, and that depends on ticket sales. Currently we will be working on getting the website and webshop up (which will be cavoeboy.com).
I'm so excited, it's actually going to happen :D
The location is a cafe/bar, where we will have 2 rooms for ourselves while the bar stays open to the public. To prevent random people from walking in we're probably going to have some nice wristbands made. Anyway, one room is pretty big (120m2) and the other is 75m2. We're probably going to put the stage in the 75m2 room and have everyone who's bringing their own pc in the big room.
Oh and small detail: it will be a multi-day event, 3 days to be exact, and it's most likely going to be 20-21-22 october. This corresponds with all dutch holiday weeks, and most of germany's holiday weeks.

Alright. That should be a lot of info for now, sorry if it's messy, I just had to get this out to you real quick.

Another update should come soon™
ItzPrizmah
Sounds cool, but maby you should make a deal with NS. Because traintickets are pretty expensive. From Almere (where i live) to Eindhoven is like 20 euros, even though it's really not that far away from each other. (What i mean is to get a deal so you can get tickets for the event + train tickets together for a certain price).
marshallracer
My geography is so bad I just had to look up where Eindhoven is (I mean even if I live roughly an hour away from Venlo I've never been to the Netherlands before)

Now, it took me a few minutes of research (and a good minute or two to realize that ns.nl has an option to change the language to english) and in any case I'd pay around 20€ for getting from Venlo to Eindhoven and back which is fine by me
yet I wonder, what do you expect or at least estimate the entry fee to be or will it possibly stay at 10€?
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
I think that would be amazing, but I don't think the NS would do a combi-deal like that for such a small event.
Maybe when the event has like 10000 visitors, haha.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
We're going to have a 2 types of tickets, simply put: bring-your-own-pc tickets (where you will get table space, power and internet connection), and spectator tickets. We're still debating on the prices, but if you would come all 3 days with pc, it will cost you around 30-40. Spectator tickets should stay around 5 per day.
Keep in mind, these prices aren't the final prices, they can still fluctuate depending on our costs.

The space won't be open 24/7, so I was thinking about maybe getting a deal at a nearby hotel so that we can provide you with cheaper prices if you plan to come for multiple days.
Ovoui
Looks interesting tbh, maybe you can have an official support.
gaming epic
Sounds interesting. Might consider coming.
Topic Starter
cavoeboy
Hello everyone.
It has been a month again. Before I start this post, I would like to say that I'm creating a new thread, as the objective of this thread was to see if people were interested in such an event, rather than coming to the actual thing. (also this thread is filled with some useless info)
We have (almost) finished the website, and you can now buy tickets.
The date is 20-21-22 October. That is respectively a friday, saturday and sunday.
Location is "De Hangar" at Meerbos 4, Eindhoven. It has a direct bus connection between both the airport and train station, and I'll be posting directions later in case you're coming by car.
The location itself will be consisting of 3 rooms/areas. The Playing Area (with all the desks/tables), and the Stage Area (with a nice stage where we'll have some tournaments). Both of those are ours only. That means accesible only by people who have bought tickets.
The other area is the actual bar, which will stay open to general public during our event. This does not mean that we can't go there! Everyone can have a drink or snack there and relax a little on some comfy couches :)
Now for the tickets. There are 2 types of tickets.

Playing Tickets
These tickets are sold per day. €15 for 1 day, €25 for 2 days and €35 for 3 days. You can choose which days you can come.
These tickets also come with your own desk/table, a power connection, and an internet connection (we don't know how fast it will be).
We only have around 60-80 desks/tables though, so some days might be sold out earlier than others.

Spectator Tickets
These tickets will give you access to all areas during all 3 days. These are €10. You can also buy these 'at the door' but we'd like people to buy them on our website so that we have a grasp of how many people are coming.

website link: https://cavoeboy.com/

Ok. I think I've addressed almost everything, but if you don't understand something or you want more info, PLEASE send me a message on either discord (@cavoeboy#4559), my email (timendecavias@hotmail.com) or in osu! (cavoeboy).

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread and giving your feedback. This is going to be awesome! :D