forum

[Archived] Issues with OS X/Mac Release/Build

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ateliesta_old
Osu just updated for me (automatically- the thing on the bottom had a "click here to restart") and now it won't load- every time I try to boot it up on my mac an error window pops up.
Here's an image of the error
It says:
"osu!.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error"
"Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application."

Do I need to re-download Osu, or is there a way to fix this bug?

(Edit: I'm playing on a Macbook pro with OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) and using xQuartz to play Osu.)
Kuzato
Please help with this glitch
Forever_

Ateliesta wrote:

Osu just updated for me (automatically- the thing on the bottom had a "click here to restart") and now it won't load- every time I try to boot it up on my mac an error window pops up.
Here's an image of the error
It says:
"osu!.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error"
"Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application."

Do I need to re-download Osu, or is there a way to fix this bug?

(Edit: I'm playing on a Macbook pro with OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) and using xQuartz to play Osu.)
I experienced that problem too, you should re-download your osu! client. Then put osu!installer.exe file that can be found out in the Download page in osu.ppy.sh if you need to do so.
[ADDITIONAL]If there are any of the songs that you want to keep it, you should take it out from the package file you can see when you right-click apps, then back-up to another folder or drive in order to save it.
If it is reinstalled, maybe there can be one more crash(It happened to me, which my computer is OS Sierra), then you will need to login then manually put the song back. Then you can enjoy the game. Sorry that my English is not that fluent.
Quatzil
Hey I'm new to osu so excuse me if this isn't the right place to post.

I just downloaded osu for the mac osx and I've been downloading beatmaps, but for some reason, the beatmaps do not show up in my lists in game and I have no way to play them. I've put them in the osu!/drive_c/osu!/Songs folder (nowhere else) just for reference.

Thanks for the help!
Forever_

Quatzil wrote:

Hey I'm new to osu so excuse me if this isn't the right place to post.

I just downloaded osu for the mac osx and I've been downloading beatmaps, but for some reason, the beatmaps do not show up in my lists in game and I have no way to play them. I've put them in the osu!/drive_c/osu!/Songs folder (nowhere else) just for reference.

Thanks for the help!
Did you try to press fn key and f5 key together? That is the way to restore your lost beatmap.
Forever_
I got the problem which is making me get .NET Framework error(map is not restored even when I put backup file manually), or just opens Wineskin app.
kai99
Reading this thread just makes me sad. I personally have three issues that doesn't really need to get fixed but if anyone's experiencing the same problem, hopefully this post would create some kind of empathy or something.
1. Taking screenshots in-game. It's either a good or bad; the screenshot is either fine or a black screen.
2. After 3-5 hours of play, sometimes the skin gets glitched out. Something like this. Some sliders turn transparent lmao.
3. Sometimes the game lags and the approach circle kinda glitches out. This one's pretty annoying.

Still using 2015 ver. Unstable release ver just doesn't work for me.
LunaBintu
There is an issue on mac where it will start receiving keypresses outside of osu! instead of inside. This happens mid-map too, so it is very annoying. The only thing I have been able to do to keep them in-game is try to tap with my pen on the tablet or click with my mouse at every possible chance. This needs fixing, strongly
Triple Agent
I have had many of these same issues:
1. Keypresses randomly registering outside of osu mid song (particularly bad in mania)
2. When attempting to load a new map, it just infinitely loads and I have to manually delete the map from within osu to be able to play again
3. Random crashes on song select
4. Pretty severe input lag
5. Certain maps having wrong thumbnail or wrong C/B/A/S/SS ranks associated with them at select
6. The worst of them all, after updating from within client, the entire game gets broken with the .NET framework error and must be redownloaded :(

I've found a fix for #2 however, the issue is caused by a certain number of maps being skeletons (that is to say that they have a folder within the game, and they have a .mp3 and a background, but no .osu beatmap file). One of the ways that skeletons get created is by choosing the "Delete all visible beatmaps" at song select, but I'm sure there are others. Choosing this option will create skeletons of all the maps that you want to delete (I'm pretty sure other deletion options are fine). If you have a certain number of skeletons, new maps will not load. Here's how get rid of skeletons:
1. hit f5 at song select
2. If the song that starts playing mysteriously does not have a beatmap associated with it, then you have a skeleton
3. look at the name of the song playing in the top right corner of the main title screen, the song name should be the name of the .mp3 in the skeleton, this will help you find it
4. Go to your appilcations, right click on osu, click "Show Package Contents" then navigate to your songs folder and search for that .mp3 file's name
5. Once you find the beatmap, double check to make sure it's a skeleton (no .osu file inside) then manually delete
6. Hit f5 again to repeat

I once had to delete 50+ skeletons, not fun. Hopefully this will help some people and hold them over until lazer. (But seriously fuck the .NET framework init error, 4th time having to redownload this game)
RealLoki
I have a problem with #2 as well! But pressing f5 (checking for new files) doesn't really take me to any 'skeleton', per se. But adding a new map still keeps me on "checking for new files" indefinitely. #sendhelp
clover
None of the OS X builds seem to work on mac OS Sierra.

For 2016-4-21, XQuartz opens, but that's it.

For 2015-10-17 it opens, but you can't drag in beatmaps.

For 2015-10-15, the file link seems to be removed.

Woo hoo.
RealLoki
You're mostly right but there are a few corrections.
-Osu will open with xquartz, it just takes a while.
-At around 6700 beat maps, the game bugs out and gets stuck in processing. (Seems to be due to Sierra, it wasn't there before)
-Xquartz osu seems to be locked at 60fps due to vsync (beamsync aka 'metal' on Sierra) which can no longer be disabled (on Sierra). (Although for some reason latency on 2015 osu seems to be lower-maybe vsync doesn't affect it? Idk, will do some more testing)
Basically, please fix osu on mac.
clover

AzureRiven wrote:

-At around 6700 beat maps, the game bugs out and gets stuck in processing. (Seems to be due to Sierra, it wasn't there before)
I only had the starting beatmaps when dragging them in however. (which is approx. 26)

Edit - also define a while, it doesn't seem to work for me
Jeni-Desu
It is seemed that many of you still uses the old 2015 release ver..
So im able to get osu! stable latest to work without massive input lag, i already say this on another thread so im just gonna quote it here

Jeni-Desu wrote:

It is seemed that im able to get osu stable latest to work using the wine from http://osuosx.tumblr.com/post/143156889670/alpha-release-2016-04-21 with smooth frame rates and able to fullscreen

i dont really know why it worked, but all i did was updated the engine to WS9Wine2.6 and use wintricks to run :
- d3dx9
- d3dx9_43
- dotnet40 (updated from dotnet20)

and thats about it, it also helped me to get smoother fps by checking the Reduce dropped frames
you guys can try it out if you want

If someone can actually tell me why it worked pls tell me

Btw, to update from dotnet20 to dotnet40, you need to execute the dotnet30 first

Good luck :p

EDIT: It is also worth mentioning to NOT change beatmaps too fast or it'll crash
clover

Jeni-Desu wrote:

It is seemed that many of you still uses the old 2015 release ver..
So im able to get osu! stable latest to work without massive input lag, i already say this on another thread so im just gonna quote it here

Jeni-Desu wrote:

It is seemed that im able to get osu stable latest to work using the wine from http://osuosx.tumblr.com/post/143156889670/alpha-release-2016-04-21 with smooth frame rates and able to fullscreen

i dont really know why it worked, but all i did was updated the engine to WS9Wine2.6 and use wintricks to run :
- d3dx9
- d3dx9_43
- dotnet40 (updated from dotnet20)

and thats about it, it also helped me to get smoother fps by checking the Reduce dropped frames
you guys can try it out if you want

If someone can actually tell me why it worked pls tell me

Btw, to update from dotnet20 to dotnet40, you need to execute the dotnet30 first

Good luck :p

EDIT: It is also worth mentioning to NOT change beatmaps too fast or it'll crash
Do you mean winetricks? Because in that case how would you go about executing the commands? I couldn't find much on google.
Jeni-Desu

FrozenMilkshake wrote:

Do you mean winetricks? Because in that case how would you go about executing the commands? I couldn't find much on google.
Yes winetricks, how i did it:
Right Click osu! > Show Package Content > Wineskin > Advanced (It also worth adding "-nosplash" in the EXE Flags) > Tools > In the Utilities Section, select Winetricks

Search for these in the dlls
- d3dx9
- d3dx9_43
- dotnet40 (updated from dotnet20) [Btw, to update from dotnet20 to dotnet40, you need to execute the dotnet30 first]

Try it out

Good luck
clover

Jeni-Desu wrote:

FrozenMilkshake wrote:

Yes winetricks, how i did it:
Right Click osu! > Show Package Content > Wineskin > Advanced (It also worth adding "-nosplash" in the EXE Flags) > Tools > In the Utilities Section, select Winetricks

Search for these in the dlls
- d3dx9
- d3dx9_43
- dotnet40 (updated from dotnet20) [Btw, to update from dotnet20 to dotnet40, you need to execute the dotnet30 first]

Try it out

Good luck
For some reason when opening Wineskin, it just constantly says "Wineskin is currently busy, please wait" and it will get stuck there forever. Am I doing something wrong here? Sorry for bothering you.

edit: I managed to search for the commands, run them, and all that jazz. However, a blank console in XQuartz still appears after that. Am I doing something wrong here?
Jeni-Desu

FrozenMilkshake wrote:

edit: I managed to search for the commands, run them, and all that jazz. However, a blank console in XQuartz still appears after that. Am I doing something wrong here?
Thats strange, that happend to me to..
I try to download a fresh osu from osx.ppy.sh and trying to replicated what i did before, but it didnt worked.

Whats even strange is that my original copy of osu (the one that i was able to play osu latest with no input lag) stopped working aswell, the same problem like the one i tried to replicated :s

sorry for my misleading information, ill try and figure out what am i missing at
clover
Huh. That's interesting. Not your fault though.
Jeni-Desu
Thanks to <strong>SosPisos</strong> for finding this simple fix

Using the osu stable 2016 version, to do it all you have to do is updating the engine "Change Engine Used" (WS9Wine 2.6 Worked Fine) ( then tick "Use Mac Driver" and "Use Direct3D Boost", in the Set Screen Options

Right Click osu!>Show Package Contents>Wineskin>Advanced>Tools>Change Engine Used>Set Screen Options
rethinking

Jeni-Desu wrote:

Thanks to <strong>SosPisos</strong> for finding this simple fix

Using the osu stable 2016 version, to do it all you have to do is updating the engine "Change Engine Used" (WS9Wine 2.6 Worked Fine) ( then tick "Use Mac Driver" and "Use Direct3D Boost", in the Set Screen Options

Right Click osu!>Show Package Contents>Wineskin>Advanced>Tools>Change Engine Used>Set Screen Options
I dont know where i came from. ive tried all the steps ^. the osu updater works but ive been stuck on the osu logo.
amax
p/6125107#p6125107

saw someone with problems on os x version of osu, thought it might be an issue
Jeni-Desu
I've made a video showing how to play stable latest if anyone is intrested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lT8om-2kfE
clover
It won't let me even update to WS9Wine2.6. It just stays on version WS9Wine1.9.5. Will I need El Capitan to do it? Because I'm currently on Sierra.
Jeni-Desu

FrozenMilkshake wrote:

It won't let me even update to WS9Wine2.6. It just stays on version WS9Wine1.9.5. Will I need El Capitan to do it? Because I'm currently on Sierra.
Im not so sure myself honestly :(
Do you have XQuartz installed, or Wineskin Winery?

If the engine cannot be changed, try skipping the step
Will it still work?
clover

Jeni-Desu wrote:

Im not so sure myself honestly :(
Do you have XQuartz installed, or Wineskin Winery?

If the engine cannot be changed, try skipping the step
Will it still work?
I have XQuartz and Wineskin Winery installed.
When skipping the step of updating it, it doesn't work.

i'm at a loss so i might just try downgrading to el capitan later.
Jeni-Desu

FrozenMilkshake wrote:

I have XQuartz and Wineskin Winery installed.
When skipping the step of updating it, it doesn't work.

i'm at a loss so i might just try downgrading to el capitan later.
Sorry to hear that :( Sierra kinda sucks anyway, No SmoothMouse support and bad Wine support

Good luck
rethinking
I can change the engine and everything but after the update thing. it stops working.
Jeni-Desu

IntelClient wrote:

I can change the engine and everything but after the update thing. it stops working.

What is your OS? and what are your specs?
rethinking

Jeni-Desu wrote:

IntelClient wrote:

What is your OS? and what are your specs?
OSX sierra. Specs: https://gyazo.com/c337a453ed20ab7010a6dab182131372
osu worked on this before but it just stopped working awhile ago
Jeni-Desu

IntelClient wrote:

How are you able to play osu in Sierra in the first place?
And which ver you were able to play?
rethinking

Jeni-Desu wrote:

IntelClient wrote:

How are you able to play osu in Sierra in the first place?
And which ver you were able to play?
sorry for the late reply. I dont know which version i just downloaded either the stable or alpha one. i just installed it and boom. it fired up no problems.
Alestea
Hi! I posted on the forums earlier, but didn't realize there was one specifically for OSX.

Well here goes;
My problem - I tried to install osu!, and install the contents of osu!, there's a wineskin I was supposed to install.
(I tried installing 2.6) But the engine remains at 1.9.5.

Any suggestions?
Jeni-Desu

IntelClient wrote:

sorry for the late reply. I dont know which version i just downloaded either the stable or alpha one. i just installed it and boom. it fired up no problems.

Good to hear its working out for ya!

Alestea wrote:

(I tried installing 2.6) But the engine remains at 1.9.5.
Any suggestions?

Maybe trying to use the newer engine like 2.10? Theoretically it should run better than the stable 2.6
rethinking
it just broke again. i have no idea what is happening....
rethinking
AFTER LIKE 4 HOURS i downgraded to el capitan (impossible af) GOT OSU WORKING finally. i just cant handle playing in full screen
rethinking
and i fixed the fullscreen by t/114600
clover
***IF YOU ARE ON SIERRA, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOWNGRADE TO EL CAPITAN ANYMORE.**

On osu version 20151017, download it, boot it up, and run the updater.

Now when dragging in beatmaps, drag it into the osu! window instead of the logo, unless the window was the target for dragging in beatmaps on versions other than 20141010.

I can make a video if needed, although I don't think it's necessary.
rethinking
im not sure if this is the correct area to talk about it. when i launch osu! it like has glitch textures. like spazzing. i close it and open anyother game (minecraft) it like has the same thing.
Jeni-Desu

IntelClient wrote:

im not sure if this is the correct area to talk about it. when i launch osu! it like has glitch textures. like spazzing. i close it and open anyother game (minecraft) it like has the same thing.

That also happened to me sometimes, dont know what triggers it tho
For me restarting osu! worked fine
show more