forum

[Archived] [contradiction] How big can be your avatar's filesize?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans
I know that the pixels size requirement is a false/not actual anymore information, as you can have even over 200x200 pixels avatar, but the filesize requirement still holds.

The question is: how big can it be?

While uploading avatar, it says
88kb maximum
but when I tried to upload 235x235 pixels, 87.9 kb (90 052 bytes) .png file, it said that it's too big:

https://puu.sh/wmTp0/323a756b14.jpg

I edited it in Paint, reducing it to 234x234 pixels, which gave 87.3 kb (89 452 bytes) file. It was accepted, even though the red error message in screenshot above says that

filesize must be between 0 and 87 KB.
In other words, we have contradicting informations:

(1) there are two different values being shown as a limit and looks like none of them is true
(2) you are being said that 88 kb is max, but it still doesn't accept a file smaller than this (87.9 kb)
(3) you are being said that 87 kb is max, but it still accepts a file bigger than this (87.3 kb)

So, what is the real filesize upper bound for user's avatar? :P
Dntm8kmeeatu
87.9kb should be the hard drop off.

It should accept 87.9kb files.

Now this part is speculation, it's possible that the file is "technically" 87.999... something something kb, and it gets rounded up to 88kb, causing it to not be allowed upload. Can't say for sure though. The file sizes you provided don't make sense, as they are both way over the file size limit in bites. "Size" and "Size on Disk" are different.

The resolution limit is also 256x256
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans
Thank you for explanation!
I checked and file on disc is indeed higher. It's 90112, which is exactly 88.0 KB :D
I suppose that is must be minimally smaller than exactly 88 KB then.

And I finally read into what's the difference between both of these sizes, glad to learn something new :)