forum

Beatmap Editor Asset Bank

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
Lifemarr
It would be neat if in the editor there was a way to get an asset in the map, like a specific slider or pattern of circles, and save it so that it could be copied anywhere you want it. It would also be neat if you could assign hotkeys to assets so you can just plop something down instantly as you need it.

I know that this sounds kinda silly since you can just highlight whatever you want in the editor and paste it somewhere else, but just think, this would make it so that you don't have to go all back and forth through a map just to find a slider or pattern or whatever to copy/paste. It would improve efficiency with mapping, which would let the quality of maps improve.

I imagine it would work somewhat how brushes work in photoshop where you create what you want to be a brush, save it as a brush, then can pick from any that you've made.

As to how it would actually be implemented, I'm not to sure because I'm not into coding. But I do know you can open a beatmap in notepad and find specific sliders/circles with coordinates and such attached to them. So maybe if you highlight what you want, then press a "save to asset bank" button, that would save that series of numbers and plop it in a folder or something so that it could be saved for use in any map?

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it, especially any mappers :>
-Lifemarr
Zeodexic
i think this is a good idea only if the brushes are map specific
otherwise we'd have people trying to speedrank the same map on different songs all the time
Topic Starter
Lifemarr

Lifemarr wrote:

So maybe if you highlight what you want, then press a "save to asset bank" button, that would save that series of numbers and plop it in a folder or something so that it could be saved for use in any map?
So a friend told me that being able to copy/paste stuff from any map may be a bad idea lol. So how about if each "bank" would be specific to one map?

Edit: yeah that guy above me
_Meep_
This will kill creativity in many ways
Even though it's quite useful, I don't really see a need for it
Mappers will use the same pattern over and over, Players will be playing the exact same pattern again and again, it gets boring if people do stuff like this
GL tho!
CookieBite
cool idea

this sounds like brush tool/saved slot, but in osu editor
but one thing im concern is that this may encourage mappers to using the patterns over and over again :/

well good luck!
Caput Mortuum
Vey useful for slider shapes.
Nitrous
This might start off a bad habit of easily making repetitive patterns. While we do have a system called Ranking Criteria, it's still not a good idea.

I'm not into this idea but good luck with this!
Liquorset
Incomp
The idea isn't bad. It just moves the bank from your head to the editor. How would it increase redundant patterns?
Seijiro
Mappers already do that tbh, don't give me the "creativity gets killed" lol
I personally would use such thing a lot. It is a great way to put down the initial idea and then modify it based on the section I am making or whatever, instead of going back and forth between sections to copy the same thing.

This feature just helps out something that mappers already do. As they can misuse such feature, they can also do the same without the feature (and someone already does)

You have my support, but I get the feeling there was a similar request somewhere...

Zeodexic wrote:

i think this is a good idea only if the brushes are map specific
otherwise we'd have people trying to speedrank the same map on different songs all the time

_Meep_ wrote:

This will kill creativity in many ways
Even though it's quite useful, I don't really see a need for it
Mappers will use the same pattern over and over, Players will be playing the exact same pattern again and again, it gets boring if people do stuff like this
GL tho!
The problem would lie into the mappers themselves, and not the feature. It's up to them to add variation, otherwise how many maps would pass like that in your opinion? (Hint: not many when I'm on patrol)
-Makishima S-
Interesting idea.

On side note - About creativity - there is non right now. Generic anime maps are all the same, literally the same. Mappers right now just copy&paste things. There is no quality either in any generic maps right now. It is not this feature problem or something, it's pure ranking criteria problem.