Osu! Keyboard Recipe - For the DIY Minded

posted
Total Posts
show more
Poku
Looks good and nice guide!

Though I can't get most stuff on the list D:
ArionW
Looks great! I'm planning to build my own osu! keyboard based on ATMEGA8, it may not be so easy in terms of coding, but this microcontroller is almost 20 times cheaper. Although I will probably use your wiring diagram as a reference. So, thanks for that!
Topic Starter
The Gambler
The man has spoken... Thnikk has graced us.
Topic Starter
The Gambler
Testing Build v2

KKoonnraDD
Hey Guys!! I made my own keyboard today. i used MX reds for the keys and a Teensy 3.2. The case is bac becaue i dont have access to a 3d printer so i just had to bend a piece of 1.5 mm perspex.. :lol: Your code sample was very helpful !! thanks ! i set the keys to be K, T which are my initials :oops:

[box=Images]

Topic Starter
The Gambler
Holy shit I thought the thread was abandoned by now... Dude that is awesome.

As for the future builds I'm doing, they're on the back burner due to exams
KKoonnraDD
by the way.. I got my custom Caps today.. so i updated the images :oops:
fb39ca4

ArionW wrote:

Looks great! I'm planning to build my own osu! keyboard based on ATMEGA8, it may not be so easy in terms of coding, but this microcontroller is almost 20 times cheaper. Although I will probably use your wiring diagram as a reference. So, thanks for that!

Did you ever build your keyboard? The Atmega8 doesn't have any USB hardware, so you would have to bit-bang everything. If you just need something cheap, you can buy Arduino Pro Micro clones pretty cheap.
Topic Starter
The Gambler

fb39ca4 wrote:

ArionW wrote:

Did you ever build your keyboard? The Atmega8 doesn't have any USB hardware, so you would have to bit-bang everything. If you just need something cheap, you can buy Arduino Pro Micro clones pretty cheap.
I'm pretty sure he could just use V-USB to create a low-speed USB device. Most Trinket-level devices I know do that as they are powered by the same chip.
KONATAonPC
I've got an Arduino Uno (A clone) that i bought a while back for something that didn't work, will that work?
Topic Starter
The Gambler
I'm not very knowledgeable about this; I've only confirmed this build with the build I have.

If your AVR chip has USB support built-in (ATmega with U - like ATmega32U4 on the Leonardo and Micro) -definitely has support and will work-, or has a built-in USB to serial converter (like the Uno, and Mega 2560), theoretically it should work though you'd have to dig online for actual references.

If not, you'd have to either use a USB to serial converter (like USB to FTDI serial cables) or emulate USB via V-USB, which I have not tried yet. Adafruit Trinkets are nice candidates for V-USB.

As for ARM-based chips, I've only tried using a Teensy, which already has built-in support.
Flami
Looks very cool. I might try it soon!
Kyozoru
dang, this is awesome!
Topic Starter
The Gambler
Sanwa switch build people!!!!

Also this is what happens when you don't account for cable spacing... A wasted breadboard.

Some demos:

A hard drive case is actually a pretty solid choice for an arcade-style build.
[Zarc]
didn't expect to find such project here. I used to work on Arduino projects and I can get the most of the stuff, but I don't know where to get Cherry MX switches. Maybe I'll try it once I get them since it looks interesting.
Topic Starter
The Gambler

iman mutou wrote:

didn't expect to find such project here. I used to work on Arduino projects and I can get the most of the stuff, but I don't know where to get Cherry MX switches. Maybe I'll try it once I get them since it looks interesting.
Works on any regular push button switch. The lovely Sanwa keypad is right above you :)

If not, Digikey or any other mechanical keyboard website like WASD or MechKB should have them in stock.
Better yet, check if Cherry themselves carry it in bulk.
TsuyuRX
OP has been helping me out and i'm currently in the process of building my own, thanks Senpai. o3o
dongwon900
I've been looking at a lot of these osu! keyboards lately. thnikk's keypads are very nice, as well as the one on the osu! store.
I do a lot of keyboards built from parts and this is nothing completely new to me, but its the first time I will be hand-wiring switches.

I'm just gonna use the arduino nano clone from dx, and a custom cnc cut acrylic housing.
What I will add to the previous designs is a palmrest. I'll come up with some more designs in the future.
Switches will be custom lubed 55g vintage cherry mx blacks. my all-time fave
Topic Starter
The Gambler

dongwon900 wrote:

I've been looking at a lot of these osu! keyboards lately. thnikk's keypads are very nice, as well as the one on the osu! store.
I do a lot of keyboards built from parts and this is nothing completely new to me, but its the first time I will be hand-wiring switches.

I'm just gonna use the arduino nano clone from dx, and a custom cnc cut acrylic housing.
What I will add to the previous designs is a palmrest. I'll come up with some more designs in the future.
Switches will be custom lubed 55g vintage cherry mx blacks. my all-time fave
Dayum, looking forward to that then :)

I only handwire in my build since I'm too broke for custom PCBs unlike noodlefighter and Antcenter xd
Vodes
I will probably try to make one with a pro micro, Kailh Speed Copper switches and a case I have laying around. Maybe I will post some pictures then :D
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

I will probably try to make one with a pro micro, Kailh Speed Copper switches and a case I have laying around. Maybe I will post some pictures then :D
Will look forward to it.
Vodes
Well. All the stuff came in yesterday morning. So I made a case out of some wood I found in my basement. It was my first time soldering anything. I'm okay with what came out of it xd It's a Pro Micro (5v, 16mhz) I bought from mehkee aswell as the keyswitches (Kailh Speed Copper). The keycaps are some cheap blue ones from banggood.

As for people living in germany shipping was quite fast except for the mehkee stuff. (Almost 2 weeks for that)

Kiciuk
What's better these keypads can be made with almost anything.
I made mine with old pad PCB.
Only soldered switches properly and it works.

Overall cost=2 switches 0.52$
Yes i know it looks like shit, but hey it works.
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

Well. All the stuff came in yesterday morning. So I made a case out of some wood I found in my basement. It was my first time soldering anything. I'm okay with what came out of it xd It's a Pro Micro (5v, 16mhz) I bought from mehkee aswell as the keyswitches (Kailh Speed Copper). The keycaps are some cheap blue ones from banggood.

As for people living in germany shipping was quite fast except for the mehkee stuff. (Almost 2 weeks for that)

Good job with the build there. Can't wait to see the demo.

Kiciuk wrote:

What's better these keypads can be made with almost anything.
I made mine with old pad PCB.
Only soldered switches properly and it works.

Overall cost=2 switches 0.52$
Yes i know it looks like shit, but hey it works.
A friend of mine built an SDVX controller with a shoebox... A cardboard one.

He still kicked my ass with it :(

Waiting for that demo ;)
Vodes
Here is a bad video for my keyboard
Topic Starter
The Gambler

Vodes wrote:

Don't worry, mine sounds like a toy too. My Sanwa build sounds like hitting a shoebox with a stick. :)
Vodes

The Gambler wrote:

Vodes wrote:

Don't worry, mine sounds like a toy too. My Sanwa build sounds like hitting a shoebox with a stick. :)
Imaginating it is hilarious enough xD
TV-Size Kun
For Teesy 2.0 and 2.0 ++ this will work?
Topic Starter
The Gambler

TV-Size Kun wrote:

For Teesy 2.0 and 2.0 ++ this will work?
Yes, just remember to select Teensy 2.0 or 2.0++ in the boards sections of the Arduino, assuming you are using Teensyduino.
DireDoge
I know this post is pretty old, but I just want to say thank you for this guide. It helped me a lot!
Topic Starter
The Gambler

DireDoge wrote:

I know this post is pretty old, but I just want to say thank you for this guide. It helped me a lot!
Pics or it didn't happen :)

Also, no problem. Kinda wish this was stickied though.
Topic Starter
The Gambler
New build posted on the first post. Happy holidays everyone!!
Topic Starter
The Gambler
New build for you guys. This time, a possible 8-key design, using an Adafruit Feather M0 for the controller.

Holystotle
I can't understand any thing about some techinacl shit anyone can help me

In indonesia someone sell it the price is too high about 40$ and I can't use my credit card too (controlled by my mom) :( :(
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

I can't understand any thing about some techinacl shit anyone can help me

In indonesia someone sell it the price is too high about 40$ and I can't use my credit card too (controlled by my mom) :( :(
RIP... Hopefully I could update the guide as well when I have time.
Holystotle
Anyone know teensy alternative for the no-no keyboard i found the Leonardo one help me pls and in Indonesia it's very rare to found 3d printing place
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

Anyone know teensy alternative for the no-no keyboard i found the Leonardo one help me pls and in Indonesia it's very rare to found 3d printing place
Leonardo is perfectly adequate for the job, since it contans all the native USB hardware needed for the keyboard functions to work. The only reason I don't recommend these is that their footprint is quite large. Take a look at some sample boards below:

Leonardo:
Teensy LC/3.2:
Pro Micro:
Trinket M0 (in inches):
It all depends on the chip you are using, but also importantly, how the board is implemented.

At some point, you might also have to leard KiCAD/Eagle to learn how to mount chips directly to PCB. Nono most likely has already done that, along with Techkeys, MaxKeyboard, etc...
Holystotle
Can you send me the Arduino coding pls I'm using the two keys shift and z

Do you know the alternative for the pcb
Topic Starter
The Gambler

quinton69 wrote:

Code is in the OP, though you will have to modify it for your purposes.
Vodes

quinton69 wrote:

I already made my code for the pro micro. You just need to tell me your keys and the pins, that you're using, then i'll do it for you. (If you'll use the pro micro ofc)
show more