forum

[Archived] PC specs? osu! minimum requirements/needed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-NekoNya
Problem Details:
Hi! i'm gonna buy a new laptop. But i'll buy a laptop cause it's only for school and osu!. I want to ask something about osu!' system requirements.
i asked someone online and they said that the laptop's specs are fine. But he also said that osu only uses 1 core. and is not GPU dependent.
my laptop specs are a little weak cause im on a budget here.
Laptop specs:
i3-6006u (2.0ghz, dual core, 4 threads)
4gb Ram (ddr4)
intel graphics 520

i think those guys are the only ones needed. if you to ask more, just reply.

oh, i forgot. im using a netbook right now. I bought a tablet. (CTL-490) i plugged it in, installed the correct drivers. I get like... 30+ms latency and only 20-30 reports. they said that it was bad so.... they also said that it's the netbook's problem.
so, i i bought a pc like that above, how much latency and reports will i get?

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20160403.6
Alysia_old_1
Seems fine to me :). To be honest osu! isn't exactly the most power demanding game out there and so you dont need to go all out on a pc to play it.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I would avoid using any laptop with a 500 series graphics chipset, as the drivers for this series are borked and cause the "ICD OpenGL" errors, and can cause your game to not run properly, or not allow fullscreen.

This problem persists even if you have a dedicated GPU, if the CPU has a 500 series integrated graphics chipset, you may run into problems. Not to mention Nvidia Optimus supported cards also sometimes have performance issues with osu! and OpenGL. Laptop Graphics are in a bad spot right now I guess.

So I guess it really doesn't matter lmao.
Topic Starter
-NekoNya

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I would avoid using any laptop with a 500 series graphics chipset, as the drivers for this series are borked and cause the "ICD OpenGL" errors, and can cause your game to not run properly, or not allow fullscreen.

This problem persists even if you have a dedicated GPU, if the CPU has a 500 series integrated graphics chipset, you may run into problems. Not to mention Nvidia Optimus supported cards also sometimes have performance issues with osu! and OpenGL. Laptop Graphics are in a bad spot right now I guess.

So I guess it really doesn't matter lmao.
Wait... So basically, i'll run osu on DirectX. Will it still have a problem then? And with my current netbook... When i use OpenGL, i get more frames. But i can't do full screen. But if i do DirectX, I get decent frames (100-120 cause netbook. That's decent for me) and i can do fullscreen. When i select OpenGL, i can't fullscreen. That's why i have more latency. I mean MORE latency. You can REAAAALLLY feel the lag. But on DirectX, it's also decent. From the menu, i opened the raw input (I always have raw input On). I see that the reports on my tablet is only 20-30. With latencies between 30-50. That's crap. On my mouse, i get 120-140 reports with the same latency.
Dntm8kmeeatu
You also seem to be on Fallback which is old and unsupported. (I'm guessing Stable Latest doesn't work?)

Also, what OS are you using currently, and what OS do you plan to use, if you buy a new laptop?
Topic Starter
-NekoNya

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

You also seem to be on Fallback which is old and unsupported. (I'm guessing Stable Latest doesn't work?)

Also, what OS are you using currently, and what OS do you plan to use, if you buy a new laptop?
Yes. I am on stable fallback. That's the only version my netbook can handle. The netbook has a windows 10 OS installed. While the one i am gonna buy is also windows 10.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Hmmm ok. If you happened to be on Windows 7, you could disable the Aero theme which would remove the feeling of input delay due to forced DWM buffering when not in Fullscreen, but it's forced on 8 and 10. So if you can't run fullscreen you'll be forced to deal with the DWM buffering. Which is obviously, not recommended.

Anyways, if you do get that laptop (or any other). Just want you to be aware of the possible issues you may run into.
Topic Starter
-NekoNya
Hmm... I'm gonna get a windows 10 laptop. And i think i can go fullscreen when i switch my renderer to DirectX... Will my laptop handle the Stable Latest updates and others? Rather than just Stable Fallback only?
Dntm8kmeeatu
You can only select DirectX as a renderer in the fallback version, OpenGL is forced in Later versions. How ever there is an option called "Compatibility Mode" which helps the game run with machines that don't support OpenGL as much.

However, This option is known to cause the ICD OpenGL error, causing the game to not launch in fullscreen (if at all).

The 500 series should support the necessary OpenGL version to run newer versions though.
Topic Starter
-NekoNya
I found the ICD OpenGL Error that you're talking about... Seems like reverting the driver is the fix. So if it'll use the compatibility mode, will i still get the same functions as Stable Latest? And is there already a fix to that now?
Topic Starter
-NekoNya
Oh wait... You said that the 500's support the newer versions right? Well... That means, i wont have a serious problem for those graphics. I just need to be careful if somehow an error came up right!
Zombie Chibi XD
Hey.. Seems I am a little bit late down here -_-"

Since I find Stable Fallback annoying, I want to have some opinions here...

So I have this Panasonic CF-R6 Laptop with "Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family" graphics... (And I seems to have some problems with OpenGL)

Is this ok to run Stable Latest?

Topic Starter
-NekoNya
Hi! It seems that you have a seperate problem from mine. You should just create a new topic so many could answer you questions.

Also, If your Laptop can handle it, why not? As long as you have a stable FPS or if not, Just update your chipset. Might have updates as to why those problems happen. Also, when you post.. Add the details of the problem.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Note:
The information in this thread is old and outdated.