forum

[Archived] Video / Black Screen Bug

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
honordevs
Problem Details:
When I start to play a song (as soon as the background starts to dim) the entire screen instead turns black.
If I turn on NF and pause the song after the screen turns black, my Osu! pops back up like normal on the pause screen.
If I move my mouse down to the bottom of the screen to access the quick-menu, it goes black again.

I am able to tab out of Osu! and other games work just fine (I can run ARK with full Epic settings on this machine). The desktop isn't affected and nothing is frozen. I also have found that it isn't a power issue or a monitor issue (I threw it under a few benchmark tests and checked my monitor's refresh rate; even clocked it down to see if it was something to do with it's refresh rate).

Before this happened (05/25/17), back when the 1703 update was released for Windows 10 I've been forced to run Osu! in compatibility mode or it would just crash on start-up. Before that everything seemed to work just fine. I'm a pretty technically savvy guy as I fix computers for a living, but this is just really odd and it seems to be continually getting worse. Maybe someone could shed some light on this issue for me? (:

Things I've tried:
Osu! repair to the latest version and cutting edge just to see if either would work, they don't (always in compatibility mode or it will crash).
Updating video cards
Changing the refresh rate on my monitor and stress testing the GPU
Changing the Frame Limiter settings in Osu! and trying to let it detect issues, but it returned nothing.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
For some reason my OBS couldn't detect the screen going black, which is really odd; leading me to think it's not the GPU, but the monitor itself. For some reason it never has this problem in any other games, though. You'll be able to see what I mean in this youtube video I took on my phone, ignore the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VicxtxHNrs <---- Link if embedded player doesn't work

osu! version: Latest(Stable)
Topic Starter
honordevs
So I found out why this happened. It looks like a bug with shadowplay. Not too sure on the details, but after disabling it I am now able to play again.