forum

[Archived] osu stuttering/dropping frames

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Problem Details:
(1) osu keeps dropping frames no matter what settings or GPU I use. every single build including lazer. If a dropped frame occurs at the same time as a hit object it will be a miss.
(2) my fps has been steadily dropping over the almost 2 years I've owned this laptop. it was easily in the 900-1500 fps range at first. over time it has dropped to 500, then 300 and now it can't even reach 300. this isn't really a big deal but its really difficult to attempt livestreaming due to the low framerates.

specs:
CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ
GPU: Intel HD graphics 530(integrated), Nvidia GTX 960M(discrete)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
(1) https://youtu.be/3_KXjcpI_Z8
(2) when I first got the laptop: http://imgur.com/a/Crdz0
nowadays: http://imgur.com/a/L7Ygh

osu! version: stable(latest)b20170503.4, stable(fallback)b20160403.6, beta b20170503.3beta, CuttingEdge b20170521cuttingedge, osu!lazer 2017.524.0
Lacrimosa
Are you on Windows 10? If so, try removing the Xbox app completely from your PC. Here's a guide on how to do it.
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Windows 8.1 pro
Lacrimosa
If I'm correct, windows 8.1 have also the Xbox application installed. The way to uninstall it should be the same as windows 10.
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Hmm this problem only started recently so I don't see how it would help but I'll try tomorrow morning.
Lacrimosa
Disabling/uninstalling completely this app usually increases frame rate and improves the performance. You could give it a try for the heck of it.
nub
Do you have this problem with any other games? It would help a lot to know.
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Only osu has this horrible stuttering
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
nope can't find the xbox app. Might have already uninstalled it long ago
Lacrimosa
Alright, read the following.

Help Center wrote:

I'm experiencing lag spikes or stuttering during play!

Lag can be caused by a variety of things. Here are some common causes that may help if you're experiencing lag:
  1. Background processes, anti-virus software, etc.. Try turning them off while you are playing osu!.
  2. Viruses, spyware, trojans. If you don't have any anti-virus software at all, and your operating system and osu!'s performance seem choppy, you should try scanning your system with an anti-virus scanner.
  3. Your computer may be in need an upgrade - some really old computers utilizing old Intel Integrated graphics (such as GMA) may not cut it for osu!.
  4. Your drivers may not be up-to-date. One of the easiest ways of getting somewhat better performance is bringing your drivers up-to-date, especially your graphics drivers.
  5. Try turning off some visual settings from the options menu. If your problem is not fixed by any of these, try the advanced troubleshooting methods below:
The game's performance is choppy or stutters frequently.
This might simply be caused by using a system with very outdated hardware. Aside from getting a more powerful system and checking the other sections in this article there is not much you can do in this case.

Occasional momentary freezeups.
Check if another background process is monopolizing your system for brief moments. This could be caused by other games, web browsers, or server apps (including file sharing/torrents). Close all other background programs and tray icons and see if the problem persists.

FPS drops sharply after an update.
This is known to happen to some users after some updates. Restart your PC to fix it in 99% of cases.
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Restarted laptop today. Stuttering is now a less impossible once every 30sec or so. Osu is actually playable. Managed to fc an almost no weight pp play.
I tried uninstalling graphics drivers and playing on the compatibility vga driver. Stuttering present. DDU and latest drivers. Still there. Restart, nothing running but osu and task man. Still there
Upskirt
Are you sure Windows isn't installing an additional video driver for your GeForce card?

You can try disabling on-board graphic in the BIOS/UEFI but I doubt that's the problem.

You may want to download HWMonitor and check the temperatures listed.
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
With Nvidia Optimus the gpu must pipe every frame through the integrated graphics on a hardware level. No BIOS trickery to do there. I recently repasted my laptop so thermals aren't the issue
Topic Starter
R8nD0m

R8nD0m wrote:

I recently repasted my laptop so thermals aren't the issue
In fact until yesterday I had to play overwatch at low preset 50% resolution scale or I'd get 20fps. That problem went away with new paste. Osu stuttering didn't
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
http://imgur.com/a/5XPR0
disabled avg. turned off qbittorrent. turned off shadowplay
stuttering once every few minutes. almost as if the problem isn't there. of course almost isn't good enough for me when I'm using a high spec laptop
problem is those used to be active and I had no issues with osu.
if its the update then I hope they release a new stable build soon
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
on second though, yes this does happen in other games. overwatch occasionally completely freezes for like 2 sec then continues as if nothing happened. about once every 5mins I guess I'm too busy shooting to count
Roysu
Have the same problem.
Having ms / fps drops for no reason!
AlexanderSkl
I have the same problem with Windows 7. Only running except osu is antivirus which is in hybernation mode.
Venix

AlexanderSkl wrote:

I have the same problem with Windows 7. Only running except osu is antivirus which is in hybernation mode.
Then disable antivirus
Topic Starter
R8nD0m

Venix wrote:

AlexanderSkl wrote:

Then disable antivirus
He did say it's in temporary disabled "hibernate"
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
http://imgur.com/a/XToZQ
so apparently the frame skipping on integrated graphics is white(BetweenFrames) instead of purple(Draw). meaning this problem is definitely not the nvidia card's problem since there's nothing for it to render in that time causing the huge draw times
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
so my house desktop with a GT 545 runs osu at 1.5ms while my slightly over 3 times as powerful GTX 960M runs osu at 4.5ms why
-Nanachi
This is definitely an issue with osu itself, im having a very similar issue and I've been playing everyday for almost 4 years now without any issues, I even factory reset my pc and the issue is still there, so it is not a conflicting program or anything along those lines
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
Update as of 31 may
After messing around with an external display for awhile osu now runs on Nvidia gpu with LOTS of white lines in the fps counter but runs quite smoothly. I still see frame skipping (straight cursor trail during spinners) but osu doesn't micro stutter anymore. Problem not solved but at least the graphics aren't anger jittery and anger inducing anymore
Topic Starter
R8nD0m
https://youtu.be/IgjKB6AOaUk
ok what the fk this is annoying
Lacrimosa
There's been an issue the last couple days with skype which resulted in this kind of stuttering. Try shutting down skype and see if it helps whatsoever.
Kao
Try to check if there are any spikes in the CPU Usage
If it's CPU, you can download [lucky:1337]Process Hacker[/lucky:1337] and open System Information
When you lag, hover over the spike and to find the program responsible for the spike.

Click on "System Information" at the top bar
Should show up a new window that looks like this

Hovering will show the program responsible
show more