forum

[resolved] Unstable FPS on latest Stable build

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
tpswil
Problem Details:
Latency (the bottom right MS figures) keep fluctuating from approx 12 -> 3 -> 12 -> 3 in the latest version. (it used to be stable from 2-4 ms)
This problem only occured after my latest update. However, I can't recall the last time I updated OSU since I haven't played for some time (I did play at least once in Feb 2017 though).
Problem is gone once rollbacked to previous stable version.

Rig:
Zenbook UX32VD
i5 processor
8+2 gb RAM
Nvida 620M graphics + intel integrated graphics (tested both graphics card, the fluctuation still remains)
Windows 7 Home edition

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
(n/a) - Rollbacked to previous stable version and the issue no longer exist. Issue only occurs on latest stable version.

osu! version: 20160403.6 (rollbacked)

As I dont frequent the forum too often, apologize for the slow reply. I'll be sticking with the rollbacked version in the meantime.

Edit:
Fixed through manually updating to Nvidia released drivers.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Ever try restarting your computer after the update? This can fix issues sometimes (and it's very simple thing to try)
Topic Starter
tpswil
Tried reupdating to the latest version. The issue still persists.
Tried restarting after the update. Issue still there.
Topic Starter
tpswil
I tried messing around with the settings in the latest version and it became stable once i selected "compatibility mode".
It is a temporary workaround, with my "delay" stable around 7-8 ms. It used to be 3-4 ms, but I'll make do with the higher "delay". Hope for a solution soon!
Topic Starter
tpswil
Did some more experimenting after the latest update.

Apparently playing with my dedicated graphics is yielding worse performance now at ~10 ms delay.

Surprisingly, swapping to integrated graphics is yielding close to my performance back then at ~4ms delay. (It performs terrible at some intense songs tho)

No idea why this is happening. Unfortunately I've uninstalled most games so Im not too able to test whether my dedicated graphics is flawed or not atm. Any ideas? Just tested on Trine with Fraps. Nvidia yields me higher FPS as compared to integrated (average 50 vs 35). Nvidia seems to be working fine

Dedicated : Nvida GT 620M
Integrated: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Similar issue as below (Besides the fact that I havent tested on another game):
t/246314/start=0
Dntm8kmeeatu
There used to be performance issues with Nvidia Optimus supported cards a long time ago. I don't know if these are starting to re-surface or what.

Also I see you are on Fallback, which uses DirectX as the main renderer, as opposed to OpenGL on newer versions.

Try switching to Stable Latest and then enable "Compatibility Mode" in the options. This normally helps with computers than run DirectX better.

If not, Try changing your release stream to Cutting edge and see if that don't do somethin'
Topic Starter
tpswil
Let me recap the story.
Was using the stable latest all the way since 2014 (?) up till at least Jan 2017 with no issue. (Nvidia driver ~3ms delay)
I was using the default option since then, but I cant recall whether it was DirectX or OpenGL.

In April 2017, with the stable latest version, (DirectX and OpenGL options gone)
Nvidia driver: 3-12ms fluctuation (without compatibility mode) / 8ms stable (Compatibility mode)
Integrated: 4-5ms stable (without compatibility mode) / untested (Compatibility mode)

In the interim, I did try switching back to stable fallback version, with Nvidia yielding 140fps (equivalent to 8ms stable).
Let me know if further testing should be done. Quite troublesome to reload the entire song library everything i switch back to fallback.

Tested that Nvidia driver still provides better performance in "Trine 2" as compared to Integrated driver.

I'll try switching to Cutting Edge soon for some testing and will edit here.
Tested on Cutting Edge. Same results with Stable Ltest.
Topic Starter
tpswil
I feel dumb.

Manually updated Nvidia drivers to the latest one provided by Nvidia themselves (Used to rely on Asus's official updates - havent had any for years).
Problem is fixed without much effort.

How do I close this post?