forum

Tablet Area and Resolution

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Disillusionz
So I recently played around with my resolution in game. I normally play full screen native on my 1080p monitor. However, I dropped it to 1600x900, and aside from the initial trouble I had, I find it a bit easier to make jumps and especially make hits near the corner of the screen.

But here's what I'm wondering. I've read a lot of posts where people don't use their full tablet area, or they don't play osu! at native res, or sometimes both. I have a XP Pen G430, which has a usable area of 4x3 inches (10.16cm x 7.62cm), which I have seen has been called "small" by osu standards. I have my settings in Windows set to use the full area. However, obviously when I play at 1600x900 in-game Im not using the whole tablet area. I don't know the exact measurements but it clearly is smaller than the 4x3 inches of the usable screen. And I see Wacom tablets that are considerably larger than mine, and a lot of people seem to be using the full area. However, I don't usually get to hear about their screen resolutions. Is it the norm to be using full tablet area and a lower in game res or are people just used to large tablet areas?

Do you guys recommend changing in game screen res or changing tablet area? Or something else? If you do recommend changing tablet area, how do people usually position the area? As in would you place the hit area on the bottom left/right of the tablet or would you center it?

I know a lot of what I'm asking is personal preference but I appreciate all responses.

EDIT: Also this whole time Im assuming letterboxing is turned on.
ManuelOsuPlayer

SirOxorsid wrote:

So I recently played around with my resolution in game. I normally play full screen native on my 1080p monitor. However, I dropped it to 1600x900, and aside from the initial trouble I had, I find it a bit easier to make jumps and especially make hits near the corner of the screen.

But here's what I'm wondering. I've read a lot of posts where people don't use their full tablet area, or they don't play osu! at native res, or sometimes both. I have a XP Pen G430, which has a usable area of 4x3 inches (10.16cm x 7.62cm), which I have seen has been called "small" by osu standards. I have my settings in Windows set to use the full area. However, obviously when I play at 1600x900 in-game Im not using the whole tablet area. I don't know the exact measurements but it clearly is smaller than the 4x3 inches of the usable screen. And I see Wacom tablets that are considerably larger than mine, and a lot of people seem to be using the full area. However, I don't usually get to hear about their screen resolutions. Is it the norm to be using full tablet area and a lower in game res or are people just used to large tablet areas?

Do you guys recommend changing in game screen res or changing tablet area? Or something else? If you do recommend changing tablet area, how do people usually position the area? As in would you place the hit area on the bottom left/right of the tablet or would you center it?

I know a lot of what I'm asking is personal preference but I appreciate all responses.
I don't use tablet. I can tell you how i find my perfect sensitivity after change dpi, osu sensitivity, windows sensitivity and resolution 200 times in way to find the better for me.

In way to find my perfect sensitivity i just down it to the lowest point where i can reach the 4 corners without need excesive streng to reach the corners, just feel i'm at that point without even watch the screen.
I think improve hand speed It's easier than improve hand precision, lowest sensitivity=better precision. Once you can play like this, If you feel you need more speed because you are moving into hardest/faster maps and you need it just down a little the area.
It depends too on what you're more into. If you usually play DT maybe you need lowest area than If you're into slow bpm technical maps.
Braixen-Desu
It depends a lot on your play style...
I use a Huion h420, and I play with full area (I use fullscreen, and Huion h420 has a small area). If you want to play some of the slower songs, you might want to use smaller tablet area. If you plan on playing HR or DT a lot, you should probably play with a small area.
I also play fullscreen, and people usually center their tablet area.
Asop
Tablet area should depend on how you aim and how shaky your aim is.

If you have unsteady/bad aim, increasing the size of your tablet area will force you to aim more with your arm, but your aim won't be as shaky due to small movements not being as noticeable on a larger area. Although if you have steadier aim, using a smaller area will let you make larger jumps more comfortably, but not necessarily more accurately, as you don't have to move as much to reach them.

If you don't have any idea of what a comfortable area is for you, a good starting point is trying to make it as large as you can while still being able to reach each corner of your area without having to move your arm. From there you can adjust as feels comfortable if you want it larger or smaller.

Also depends on how and where you hold your pen. If you hold your pen really close to the tip, will be hard to use a larger area since you won't be able to pivot the tip around as much.

Resolution really just depends on how comfortable you are having to look around for notes. Fullscreen makes it easier to read smaller circles and looking at smaller sections of a pattern. Smaller resolutions make it easier to see long jumps and you don't have to move your eyes as much to follow the notes. I can't say for certain, but it's a pretty safe assumption that most people on lower resolutions play on lower sensitivities or larger tablet areas and smaller areas and higher sensitivities for fullscreen players.

Some people say not to change your tablet area because it will mess up your muscle memory, but I don't really think that's true. I've never had any problem changing my tablet area. It's not the same as changing your mouse sensitivity in an fps game or something; it seems much easier to switch between tablet areas for me.

Where you position your area on your tablet will just depend on how you hold the pen and how high your table is. The way I hold my pen I would end up bumping the tablet around if I had to rest my wrist on it, so I have my area right at the bottom. My table is also significantly higher than I would like it to be so I don't really have the ability to put my area toward the top of my tablet otherwise I wouldn't reach it.

People play on a lot of different settings, some of the best players play on full area and fullscreen resolution. Some play on very small areas as well. From what I've seen people can manage to play with any sort of weird combination of settings, so just try a bunch of different stuff out and stick with what you like the most.
Topic Starter
Disillusionz
Thanks for the responses. I really don't like having a reduced, boxed resolution so I will probably end up slightly lowering the area on my tablet. I switched back to my regular settings and for what it's worth I didn't have any problem readjusting for more than 10 minutes, so I'd probably agree with it not being as big a deal as changing mouse sens.
ManuelOsuPlayer

_Asop wrote:

Tablet area should depend on how you aim and how shaky your aim is.

If you have unsteady/bad aim, increasing the size of your tablet area will force you to aim more with your arm, but your aim won't be as shaky due to small movements not being as noticeable on a larger area. Although if you have steadier aim, using a smaller area will let you make larger jumps more comfortably, but not necessarily more accurately, as you don't have to move as much to reach them.

If you don't have any idea of what a comfortable area is for you, a good starting point is trying to make it as large as you can while still being able to reach each corner of your area without having to move your arm. From there you can adjust as feels comfortable if you want it larger or smaller.

Also depends on how and where you hold your pen. If you hold your pen really close to the tip, will be hard to use a larger area since you won't be able to pivot the tip around as much.

Resolution really just depends on how comfortable you are having to look around for notes. Fullscreen makes it easier to read smaller circles and looking at smaller sections of a pattern. Smaller resolutions make it easier to see long jumps and you don't have to move your eyes as much to follow the notes. I can't say for certain, but it's a pretty safe assumption that most people on lower resolutions play on lower sensitivities or larger tablet areas and smaller areas and higher sensitivities for fullscreen players.

Some people say not to change your tablet area because it will mess up your muscle memory, but I don't really think that's true. I've never had any problem changing my tablet area. It's not the same as changing your mouse sensitivity in an fps game or something; it seems much easier to switch between tablet areas for me.

Where you position your area on your tablet will just depend on how you hold the pen and how high your table is. The way I hold my pen I would end up bumping the tablet around if I had to rest my wrist on it, so I have my area right at the bottom. My table is also significantly higher than I would like it to be so I don't really have the ability to put my area toward the top of my tablet otherwise I wouldn't reach it.

People play on a lot of different settings, some of the best players play on full area and fullscreen resolution. Some play on very small areas as well. From what I've seen people can manage to play with any sort of weird combination of settings, so just try a bunch of different stuff out and stick with what you like the most.
I don't have any problem by change mouse sensitivity or dpi. Only at the first hours. After a couple hours my muscle memory start to work with the new dpi as i was playing the old one. I think It's because i did change mouse settings a lot. The arm/hand muscle memory probably remember other similar dpi closer to the newest one and start to "remember" it and adapt to the new one.

I think muscle memory it's a road. Once you build it keeps for a long. You only have to chose the road you want to take after turn at the roundabout xD Also once you know a road you can use it to get to another road faster than without know it. Pls nerf.
McExe
thx for explaining
KupcaH
you're welcome
leandrogamerdms

Braixen-Desu wrote:

I use a Huion h420, and I play with full area (I use fullscreen, and Huion h420 has a small area). If you want to play some of the slower songs, you might want to use smaller tablet area. If you plan on playing HR or DT a lot, you should probably play with a small area.
I use Huion H430P, and if you're still active in the game can you please tell me your tablet area
[AlphaCentauri]

leandrogamerdms wrote:

Braixen-Desu wrote:

I use Huion H430P, and if you're still active in the game can you please tell me your tablet area
Don't necropost. And they were last active 4 months ago, so not really.
Simon12

leandrogamerdms wrote:

You should DM them, they might see your message and respond later.