forum

Kat in one hand and don in other

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blitzfrog
I was wondering if it's a bad idea to configurate the keys so that I have kat on my right and don on my left
karterfreak
This would be a ddkk playstyle.

To answer your question. If you want to be top 100, sure go for it! If you want to be top 10, best get started on that kddk playstyle (default layout)!
Edgar_Figaro
If you do want to play DDKK maybe it's just me but I feel there are more Don notes than Kat notes so I am left handed so I use DDKK so I hit more notes with my dominant hand. If you are right handed I'd suggest KKDD
tkdLolly

Tasha wrote:

To answer your question. If you want to be top 100, sure go for it! If you want to be top 10, best get started on that kddk playstyle (default layout)!
Interesting answer. Do statistics favour ddkk in the top 100 and kddk in the top 10? :D
roufou
It's near impossible to be one of the best players with ddkk, as in top 50 and higher, but it doesn't make that much of a difference bellow that.
karterfreak

tkdLolly wrote:

Tasha wrote:

Interesting answer. Do statistics favour ddkk in the top 100 and kddk in the top 10? :D
It's a little less about statistics and more about the advantages and disadvantages of both playstyles.

How you play patterns with kddk and ddkk is conceptually different. ddkk even at a high level tends to enforce single tapping habits (that can be broken mind you, just really freaking hard to do so) when starting a don / kat pattern, whereas kddk at a high level is often played with alternating (in some cases with a mix of single tapping). At higher bpms being able to alternate becomes more and more valuable as patterns become too fast otherwise.

To further add to this, many songs that would allow you to climb high in ranks (pp songs, w/e you wanna call them) have what ddkk players refer to as monos, which are long strings of either dons or kats. Without some gimmicky hand movement you're required to be able to play a song's given bpm with each hand by itself to keep up. This is further complicated by 1/6 which effectively makes the true bpm of what you're playing 1.5* faster. In other words, 200bpm 1/6 monos is about the equivalent of 300bpm 1/4 monos. When you start hitting higher speeds of 270bpm+, 1/6 that are monos become incredibly hard to play / keep up with / acc as the playstyle doesn't naturally have two hands to alternate between on monos. It's easier to alternate between two hands than one at higher speeds which is kddk's biggest advantage.
Edgar_Figaro
As far as I am aware these are the pros of each

KDDK:
Better for high BPM
Better for monos
Lower UR

DDKK
Easier to read complex patterns
Easier to hit finishers
sweetbravery
DDKK player here :D