forum

[Archived] osu! crashing because of Illegal characters

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shinjer Li
Problem Details: My osu! kept on crashing about 6pm today 2/11/17. It says illegal characters in path. This has never happened to me and I don't know how to fix it. Please help ._.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
"System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at #=qwE7rd7vELftZQRKx7JQ4qrihSwnIAp1e5lJSYDpEX4D00PPElatc2RjHMVxogupt.#=q_t0o6K_xOmmQp__DNz7eOVLuIaIDiSRAPANDgeVrY5w=()
at #=qfVMNggFC35xxA3KwWK$$9s$SPFk3i5BEQEcJSh6cveiWmcARESLcBuCx$5K8HF5f.#=qJ4qusagaF_ACDBiLOwkx5A==.#=qu0HHOR47IbFs_jIilRHnfNikKLptwuvc_AZYfMH2WnY=(#=qwE7rd7vELftZQRKx7JQ4qrihSwnIAp1e5lJSYDpEX4D00PPElatc2RjHMVxogupt #=q74CvXaeUCnuRDMExwGJNYw==)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.FindAll(Predicate`1 match)
at #=qfVMNggFC35xxA3KwWK$$9s$SPFk3i5BEQEcJSh6cveiWmcARESLcBuCx$5K8HF5f.#=qhNCCJsKwLD2j3yMCM4Wse2TdqjrdmdFSzroANWdDawc=()
at #=qfVMNggFC35xxA3KwWK$$9s$SPFk3i5BEQEcJSh6cveiWmcARESLcBuCx$5K8HF5f.#=qVrReUVWmGR64OCnkdKAnaQ==()
at #=qfVMNggFC35xxA3KwWK$$9s$SPFk3i5BEQEcJSh6cveiWmcARESLcBuCx"
I could not screenshot it becuase the message only appeared when I clicked the screen.

osu! version: 20170103.2 (latest)
Flanster
Make sure the path where osu! is doesnt contain any odd characters.
Topic Starter
Shinjer Li

Flanster wrote:

Make sure the path where osu! is doesnt contain any odd characters.
How do I do that?
rikia
Just make sure the path doesn't have any characters that arn't numbers or letters, that probably should work.

EX:

C:/Programs/osu! Works

C:/Programs/&folder((%%/osu! probably doesn't work
Topic Starter
Shinjer Li

Viperial wrote:

Just make sure the path doesn't have any characters that arn't numbers or letters, that probably should work.

EX:

C:/Programs/osu! Works

C:/Programs/&folder((%%/osu! probably doesn't work
I am not that good with computers. How can I change where osu is being opened from? Im a noob sorry
rikia
I think you just have to move your osu! folder to like Program Files (x86) (Or without (x86), idk)

But if that doesn't work then sorry idk how to help :L
RvNovae
If you can still open the game: go the settings and at the very bottom of the settings you will find a button labeled "open osu! folder".
If osu! won't start then you have to search for it in the file explorer.
By default osu! should be installed in C: -> Program files -> osu!

Check the path in the navigation bar at the top of the explorer and find out what the odd character is.
(It probably isn't in exactly this location because of that problem)
If you can't find it manually just do a search in the search bar for "osu!" and then select the folder that contains the osu!.exe and a bunch of other files.
And then fix the path by replacing the odd characters with valid ones.

I hope this helps.
Kao
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Osu!_Program_Files
Current default filepath
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!

You can type %localappdata%/osu!/ In the address bar of Windows Explorer
"C:" is your harddisk with osu! installed.

Old installer filepath
C:\Program Files\osu!
C:\Program Files(x86)\osu! (for 7 64-bit or 8)