forum

[Archived] PP up, Rank down?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yokipi
After a decent hiatus, returned and played some songs for what I believe was an overall PP gain.

http://puu.sh/u5diJ/366478c697.png

However, from the performance graph, it looks as though this resulted in a rather significant drop in rankings (from #134k to #154k).

http://puu.sh/u5cSB/ba8f19213e.png

I'm probably just missing something obvious, but I can't quite place it.
From a cursory search, it looks as though similar inquiries were met with answers regarding delayed server updates and others improving during inactivity. These don't seem to explain the abrupt and rather significant gap though.

Thanks for any help!
Sandy Hoey
If you took a break, other people were able to pass you in that time. That is where the rank loss comes from. You have to keep gaining pp to keep your rank
Topic Starter
Yokipi
Right, I understand that my rank is expected to decay over time, and given the quantity of players this game has, I will naturally fall quickly behind if I don't regularly update my PP.

My concern lies more with the abruptness and erratic nature of the slope. A 13k drop over a span of several months and then 190k drop overnight seems odd. The fact that this overnight change happens to coincide with my return from my hiatus is further perplexing. I was wondering if there was something about the ranking algorithm that I simply did not understand. If the server were to update rankings only upon my return, the natural decay during my inactivity doesn't seem to make sense either...

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it's not the drop that's odd, it's the gain 3 months ago. I don't remember ranking any songs in November. Without the rise, the graph is overall smooth and the slope makes sense. I still don't understand why that would happen though.
o x

Yokipi wrote:

Upon closer inspection, it's not the drop that's odd, it's the gain 3 months ago. I don't remember ranking any songs in November. Without the rise, the graph is overall smooth and the slope makes sense. I still don't understand why that would happen though.
Now what happens is inactive users are taken off the leaderboards and this happens in surges every once in a while so that would explain the sudden climb in ranks, also your profile doesn't always update your rank, if you don't play in a long time it won't show how many ranks you have gone down until you next submit a score, for example I am ranked #470 on my profile and I have been for a few days, but if you click on the leaderboards I am actually #471, the rank doesn't update since I haven't submitted a ranked score recently.