forum

[Archived] "Unable to move file" error if filename is too long

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
capes-
Problem Details: If you try to import a song (drag and drop into edit) with a filename that's too long, it will give you the "Unable to move file" error. The mp3 file will stay in osu's songs folder, so every time you start osu, you'll see the error pop up until you delete the mp3 file from the songs folder.

Basically the game tries to move the mp3 into its own folder but gets the 'destination path too long' windows error.

If someone wants to replicate this, the filename I had was "01 - L.E.D. - milestone Disc 2 beatnation Records presents REMIXes - spiral galaxy -L.E.D STYLE SPREADING PARTICLE BEAM MIX-.mp3"

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
This error pops up every time you start osu until you delete the mp3 file from the osu songs folder

osu! version: 20170103.2 (latest)
Kao
Then wouldn't the solution be to shorten the filename?
If it's an error with Windows, we can't fix it unless Windows fixes it, unless I misunderstood you.

This might've been the obvious solution but,
  1. Make the filename shorter like "audio.mp3".
PhilCanSurvive
Excuse me for bumping an old thread, but this is still an issue. The solution is to shorten the file name so that the song transfers easily, however there's no way to know really unless you count the character so occasionally I place a song that is too long into the osu! editor and now everytime I open osu! it runs the error for each time I've attempted, so when I open the game the error pops up about 30 times. The error also appears when I use F5. The solution would be for osu! to delete a file if it is too long as now I need to find the songs in the osu! folder which is not as easy as it may seem.
spice-

PhilCanSurvive wrote:

Excuse me for bumping an old thread, but this is still an issue. The solution is to shorten the file name so that the song transfers easily, however there's no way to know really unless you count the character so occasionally I place a song that is too long into the osu! editor and now everytime I open osu! it runs the error for each time I've attempted, so when I open the game the error pops up about 30 times. The error also appears when I use F5. The solution would be for osu! to delete a file if it is too long as now I need to find the songs in the osu! folder which is not as easy as it may seem.
i have the same problem and its really annoying, have you found a solution?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Just rename or delete the file...
It should be sitting in your songs folder. Outside of any beatmap folder.
spice-

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Just rename or delete the file...
It should be sitting in your songs folder. Outside of any beatmap folder.
i deleted it and im still getting the pop up, what else could i do?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Restart your game, or delete it while it's closed.
The only way you're getting that error is if the file is still there.
Shir0neko

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

i did this and im still getting the same error, even when the file is completely deleted
Zelzatter Zero

Shir0neko wrote:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

i did this and im still getting the same error, even when the file is completely deleted
Where was the file before you deleted it? It should the one that is straight up inside the Songs folder, not in any folders inside that.
Swiggster
If anyone is still having this problem what you have to do is go into your "songs" folder

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!\Songs

and delete all the files that are causing the problem (it says the name of the songs in the errors)

For some reason even though the editor says it fails to use the song and it doesn't show up in game, it still puts files in the songs folder which is the cause of this problem :)
vuulgarity
Well the thing is this problem still continues, ive even went as far as to deleting my entire songs list. the problem still continues. When ever I add the mp3 file it still pops up as two different files, the song file and an empty file with the beatmap name.
Death

vuulgarity wrote:

Well the thing is this problem still continues, ive even went as far as to deleting my entire songs list. the problem still continues. When ever I add the mp3 file it still pops up as two different files, the song file and an empty file with the beatmap name.
Please make a new thread for your issue. The solution to the issue in this thread will work if done correctly. Your issue sounds different.