show more
B1rd
left wingers always think like this
Railey2
tell me how left wingers think, b1rd.
Zain Sugieres
like you
B1rd
You want to heavily control and regulate everything despite not understanding that this creates a burden on innovation and small businesses and creates inferior products compared to the free market.
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

You want to heavily control and regulate everything despite not understanding that this creates a burden on innovation and small businesses and creates inferior products compared to the free market.
Some regulations are needed to prevent exploitation, environmental damage, or harm for the consumer in general. Some regulations aren't needed because they don't change much and just add another layer of complexity to an already complex system. Some regulations are harmful because they (as you said) hinder progress or screw over small business owners.

Regulations should be argued about on a case by case basis. Arguing about regulations as a whole seems like a waste of time. You can't make any useful blanket statements about them anyway.
Stefan
Let's try first to stop shit threads like this one and take care for 'secondary' problems after then.
B1rd
Regulations are the product of a few people handing down arbitrary judgements on how they think an economy made up of hundreds of thousands or millions of people should run. And consequently the regulations are inefficient in doing their goal with and have many negative side effects. Private organizations can outdo the government by providing testing and safety standards that are much more streamlined an efficient because they conform to the industry rather than the other way around.

And if you want me to understand you Stefan you'd better start speaking understandable English.
Stefan

B1rd wrote:

And if you want me to understand you Stefan you'd better start speaking understandable English.
back to tuuba if you're just here to jerk off about my english.
Zain Sugieres
Stefan your gay
B1rd
It's not my fault if you don't speak in a way that's clearly understandable. But if you want me to just ignore you when you make incoherent posts instead of pointing it out I can do that too.
Railey2
Trying to define the most efficient legal framework for an economy involving millions of people is no easy task, no matter if it's taken care of by a private instance or by the government. If you think that the government is just relying on its own people to pass regulations, you should think again. In most countries, the government relies heavily on experts from economic and natural sciences to develop better-working industry standards. It's not just people with no connection to the industry "handing down arbitrary judgments". Most governments are involved in a constant dialogue with the industry. Regulations aren't something that depends on the whim of some high ranked politicians.

That aside, what exactly is the system you suggesting here? How would these.. "private organizations" look like, and how exactly would they outdo the government?
Stefan

B1rd wrote:

It's not my fault if you don't speak in a way that's clearly understandable. But if you want me to just ignore you when you make incoherent posts instead of pointing it out I can do that too.
I'd appreciate that a lot. Having one less smartass to look for will help me for sure.
sicalmforgost
So... this thread take a particular way. :s

Funny story, i was playing osu at school and one friend like it. Naturally, he wanted to play but i only got anime maps (and there is almost no "not-anime" maps for mania, the mode he saw me playing). So he ended up cringing more than enjoying because the easy maps that i have where kinda faggy anime maps.

But tbh, the only way of archiving what you say is creating not anime maps ourselfs, (even though, is more probable to get a copyright like that time with skrillex)
Flimsy
No idea how this spiralled into left vs right wingers.

Anyway I agree that there's too much anime nonsense. Well it's not even necessarily just the fact it's anime, it's the fact it's the most generic squeaky female singers you find in every shitty generic anime. I'm not really sure how someone can be so maddening that they actually enjoy listening to these songs unironically, let alone listening to them multiple times to map it.

Mania is basically the same but instead of squeakers, you have generic electronic music. Which I prefer over over squeaky Japanese girls pretending to sound like they're 8 years old, but it's still pretty dull and uninspired.
Foxtrot
B1rd, are you trying extra hard to trigger people now
B1rd

Stefan wrote:

B1rd wrote:

I'd appreciate that a lot. Having one less smartass to look for will help me for sure.
Obviously your English skills are a soft spot for you, doesn't mean you need to get an attitude with me because I pointed it out.

Railey2 wrote:

Trying to define the most efficient legal framework for an economy involving millions of people is no easy task, no matter if it's taken care of by a private instance or by the government. If you think that the government is just relying on its own people to pass regulations, you should think again. In most countries, the government relies heavily on experts from economic and natural sciences to develop better-working industry standards. It's not just people with no connection to the industry "handing down arbitrary judgments". Most governments are involved in a constant dialogue with the industry. Regulations aren't something that depends on the whim of some high ranked politicians.

That aside, what exactly is the system you suggesting here? How would these.. "private organizations" look like, and how exactly would they outdo the government?
I don't doubt that the government has some methods of creating regulations, but I think everything I said about it is still valid. No mater how much 'dialogue' is has with existing industries the top down method of control still creates an inefficient system with many negative side effects which hinder economic progress. In the end a lot of these judgement actually are influenced by the arbitrary whims of high ranking politicians; the system also creates the opportunity for corruption, and a lot of these established companies lobby the government for regulations that hinder competition and help create a monopolistic effect on the market. A lot of these regulations, as well as laws within our society, are based on the premise of 'safety' or protecting women' or 'helping the poor' and because of this emotional appeal the negative consequences are not fully appreciated or considered. This is the negative effect subjecting the market to the logic of a limited amount of people creates.

I don't propose any sort of system except that the government does not interfere with economic matters, instead it should do the job it is supposed to do which is provide defense and physical security for its citizens. Besides these things (and some people argue, not even those) there isn't a problem where the only solution is government interference. Because in essence, the free market is the collective minds of millions of people with the ability to problem solve. So while I'm not an expert on this matter I can say that if a demand exists, such as the demand for safety and food uncontaminated with toxic substances, I can say that it can be met by a private company. I know such entities exist already actually, that say 'x product is certified' by whatever organisation. If the government stopped regulating the economy, I can theorise the role of these types of organisations would increase. And it would be a much more efficient way to run the economy. Because however good you think the government can run things, it is much harder to change the policies of a monolithic entity that is only vaguely accountable for its actions, compared to a multitude of competing private organisations whose prosperity depend solely in finding the best balance between consumer safety and profit and efficiency of the product.

I was gonna reply to your post way back but I didn't bother in the end. It was how mapping in osu! actually is dependent on economic principles. But to get to the point, anime maps are popular because they are easy to make (lots of supply) and are played by a lot of people (demand). The way everything works in mapping is due to underlying principles and effects, not arbitrary choices, and it's ignorant and arrogant not to recognise this and think that you could have any effect on this, or that by your policies you could influence mapping in a way that the consumers would enjoy more.

If you favour diversity in mapping, you need to look at the underlying reasons behind the lack of diversity (I hate that word). The biggest one is ppv2, which creates a very large demand for generic maps which include generic patterns that are easy to execute and give a lot of pp. The second is the regulations and control of the ranking team, which make it hard for mappers to rank unique maps. And of course the other reason is that not everyone thinks 'creative maps', like Camellia maps with heaps of slider spam are better and more enjoyable, and prefer to play maps with simpler patterns.
B1rd
That is a very nice wall of text if I do say so myself :oops:
EneT
♪ Fuck Stefan comin' straight from the confederates ♪
♪ A young nigga got it bad cause he illiterate ♪
Jellyblob
x
B1rd
I wouldn't insult Stefan too much if I were you, naturally as an Austrian he will soon move to Germany and become the second Hitler. When you do Stefan, you gotta fuck up Britain straight away and don't declare war on Russia or USA. HAIL VICTORY 卐 卐 卐
johnmedina999
If I have the option to, I never download the video that comes with most anime maps because it's usually just a waste of space.
Also, the only reason I don't like anime maps is because there's not a lot of people that map them for osu!mania, and osu!standard maps converted to mania just suck.
Foxtrot

johnmedina999 wrote:

If I have the option to, I never download the video that comes with most anime maps because it's usually just a waste of space.
Also, the only reason I don't like anime maps is because there's not a lot of people that map them for osu!mania, and osu!standard maps converted to mania just suck.
I like your opinion
Mekki

Lolinator2000 wrote:

can we just stop maping anime shit its to much
#StopMappingAnimeMaps
I agree :U
B1rd
Since both Railey and Stefan failed to respond, I hereby declare myself the winner of the internet battle by default.
Endaris

B1rd wrote:

I hereby declare myself the winner of any internet battle by default.
ftfy
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

Since both Railey and Stefan failed to respond, I hereby declare myself the winner of the internet battle by default.
I'm on vacation right now, so I didn't see your post :v

Thanks for your detailed response though, I really appreciate it. I'll get back to it when I'm home again, I'm just messing around a bit atm and don't really feel like typing anything longer.
abraker

B1rd wrote:

I don't propose any sort of system except that the government does not interfere with economic matters, instead it should do the job it is supposed to do which is provide defense and physical security for its citizens.
Not interfere with economic matters? Just defense and security? So what happens when you got yourself monopolies which suck every buck they can out of their customers?

B1rd wrote:

Because in essence, the free market is the collective minds of millions of people with the ability to problem solve. So while I'm not an expert on this matter I can say that if a demand exists, such as the demand for safety and food uncontaminated with toxic substances, I can say that it can be met by a private company.
Agreed

B1rd wrote:

I know such entities exist already actually, that say 'x product is certified' by whatever organisation. If the government stopped regulating the economy, I can theorise the role of these types of organisations would increase. And it would be a much more efficient way to run the economy.
Until, you know, the company decides to see how far it can go to make a profit. Not saying the government should take on the job of these organizations do though. Privatizing these would ofc be more efficient, but just as long as they are kept in check.

B1rd wrote:

Because however good you think the government can run things, it is much harder to change the policies of a monolithic entity that is only vaguely accountable for its actions, compared to a multitude of competing private organisations whose prosperity depend solely in finding the best balance between consumer safety and profit and efficiency of the product.
Keyword: "competing". When they strike deals based on profit, things can get unbalanced as time goes on, and unbalance is only the potential of what can come.

Ofc, the government shouldn't run it, but it should interfere when needed and not interfere when not needed. This interference should not be running the companies by any means, but simply preventing abuse.
Stefan

B1rd wrote:

I didn't bother to reply after my last post to you so whatever works for you the best.
B1rd

abraker wrote:

Not interfere with economic matters? Just defense and security? So what happens when you got yourself monopolies which suck every buck they can out of their customers?
I don't believe true monopolies exist in the free market. In fact my argument was that government interference encourages monopolies. If a monopoly existed, there is nothing stopping another company coming along and offering much lower prices. Thus competition ensues.

Until, you know, the company decides to see how far it can go to make a profit. Not saying the government should take on the job of these organizations do though. Privatizing these would ofc be more efficient, but just as long as they are kept in check.
Because if a company stopped being honest in its evaluations, then it would quickly lose all its credibility and the entire company would be bankrupt within no time. It's a bit like currency, a certification is only valuable if other people think it's valuable. Companies have a vested interest in having a reputation clean, and lots of other competing companies have a vested interest in exposing other companies if they're not.

Keyword: "competing". When they strike deals based on profit, things can get unbalanced as time goes on, and unbalance is only the potential of what can come.

Ofc, the government shouldn't run it, but it should interfere when needed and not interfere when not needed. This interference should not be running the companies by any means, but simply preventing abuse
Is government interference necessary to prevent exploitation by private entities? It's not a question I can answer confidently. All I can really say with confidence is that economic freedom is essential for economic prosperity, I think we agree on that.
Railey2

B1rd wrote:

I don't believe true monopolies exist in the free market. In fact my argument was that government interference encourages monopolies. If a monopoly existed, there is nothing stopping another company coming along and offering much lower prices. Thus competition ensues.
If you have a certain amount of power, there are lots of things you can do to force competitors out of business.

I suggest you take a look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-comp ... _practices

You can't just offer things at a lower price when your competitor controls the whole supplier chain from bottom to top. You can't stay in business when your competitor just sells his stuff at a much lower price right next to your shop, so low that he's losing money from it even. Too bad he has 856 other locations all over the country where he's making a killing to compensate for the temporary losses he incurs with his shop right next to yours.

It's complicated. If you don't regulate a market to prevent things like that from happening, you will end up with monopolies, without a doubt. There are many governmental regulations that were put in place to protect the free market. To stop people from abusing their position of power to drive others out of business.

I am confident that only an outside party can take that rule, aka the government. Freedom needs to be limited. People exploit their options too much when you let them.
abraker

B1rd wrote:

If a monopoly existed, there is nothing stopping another company coming along and offering much lower prices.
Consider a monopoly that gets rid of competition by acquiring any company that it sees as a threat to its market. My understanding is that only few will resist the temptation to take the sum those giants may offer. And if they don't, monopolies always have some leverage to choke the smaller companies because they have access to more resources. If it is that simple, I would like to know why no company has yet to come along and offer better internet prices in America.

B1rd wrote:

I don't believe true monopolies exist in the free market.
Yes, but oh how close we have come to it
Exhibit A: AT&T - wannabe monopoly now-a-days, but was more of a monopoly once upon a time
Exhibit B: Luxottica - the closest to a monopoly I heard of

B1rd wrote:

Because if a company stopped being honest in its evaluations, then it would quickly lose all its credibility and the entire company would be bankrupt within no time. It's a bit like currency, a certification is only valuable if other people think it's valuable. Companies have a vested interest in having a reputation clean, and lots of other competing companies have a vested interest in exposing other companies if they're not.
That doesn't mean they can't get away with a limited amount of shit. Even if it doesn't get away with it, whatever it may be and cause the company to go bankrupt overnight, it can potentially cause serious damage. Then will follow a the public outcry on why were there not enough checks in place to prevent whatever serious damage it might be.
Adorn
wtf is this thread
Jellyblob
x
Railey2
git gud :v
TABLETCLIX
ITT: global economics = osu!
Fellow
osu community is weeb, so that's impossible
-Nya-
Users can map what they want and Japanese music is some of the best music out there. That's why so many people map it. If you want a song mapped/ranked, do it yourself.
Railey2

-Nya- wrote:

Users can map what they want and Japanese music is some of the best music out there. That's why so many people map it. If you want a song mapped/ranked, do it yourself.
they don't map it because it's the best but because they don't expose themselves to much else than osu music and anime, so that's where they get their ideas from.
Rurree

-Nya- wrote:

Japanese music is some of the best music out there.
woah there

that's where you're wrong

i mean japan has some cool music like Boris and Nujabes but weebs only map most of the bad japanese music
winber1
cory in the house got some nice jap vibes
show more