forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Extended Sliders

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
38.33%
20.00%
26.67%
8.33%
1 - Hate them!
6.67%
Total votes: 60
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Extended Sliders

A slider that lands at an artificial rhythm right before the next object appears. In most cases, 3/4 sliders are used as an extended slider, giving an 1/4 interval with the next object. The rhythm of the slider end not always having a corresponding snap in the music is the difference of other regular rhythms. The passive feature as a slider end makes this possible. This technique is usually used when an extending vocal, or an instrument appears.

Example: cYsmix - House With Legs [Insane] 00:46:463 (6,1)

Topic Starter
Sonnyc
One of the most controversial issue at the 2011 mapping era, and one of the mainstream mapping technique back in the 2013-14 mapping era as I remember.

There are some effective parts in the music if this mapping technique is nicely used. But I don't like an abuse of extended sliders.
chainpullz
Kibbleru had a blurb about this on his profile page at some point but I can't remember the exact details and too short on time atm to go searching for it.

Essentially it said something like there is a time and place for it. IMO though they play very poorly when just tossed in without much reason.

A good example is the 3/4 sliders near the start of jieusieu's no title map. There is a clear drum beat on the red tick and absolutely nothing on the blue tick. Thus from a player perspective where you often are predicting the mapping by your musical intuition you would expect the slider to release on the red tick where you have a pretty good idea there will be a drum beat. This coupled with the fact that the slider is followed by a massive jump creates a tendency for random slider breaks as well as the feeling like you just got mugged.

I think it works best when there isn't a clear release beat on the red tick that you are ignoring and if the slider is lining up with a vocal that holds through the entire beat.

Edit: Decided I'd be running a bit late to work anyways:

Kibbleru wrote:

About Extended Sliders
  1. Although I'm not all that picky when it comes to extended sliders (I will admit, I use some myself) I see too many maps with the miss-usage / abuse of extended sliders.
  2. These extended sliders are use to emphasize a certain held sound such as a vocal.
  3. They are not to be used when extending it to the 1/4 will cause you to miss a a beat.
  4. I see too many maps where they are used and by doing so, causes the map to completely ignore either a drum beat or a vocal. In some cases, yes this is fine. however, in most cases, it ends up being a terrible rhythm.
  5. A simple guideline to using them is.
    Ask yourself;
    Am I going to miss a beat if I use this extended slider?
    Does the extended slider actually make sense as to it emphasizes a held sound? (If not then make the first slider 1/2)
    Is the ending sound actually strong enough to deserve something clickable on its own? (If not then just use a 1/1 slider)
  6. If your slider passes all these questions, then generally it should be fine to use.
    -
  7. If you have no idea wtf you're doing, just don't use them at all
Endaris
They have to be expectable somehow. Best all used in one place so it feels consistent. They can be pretty dumb but also fit very well in the case there's an extended melody sound as quoted by chainpullz already.
Bara-
If the music is 1/2, those things are awful
If the music is 1/1, and the music calls for them, I absolutely love them
winber1
basically just git gud
Max Period
Best used with silent hitsounds in the end of silders.

I use these as long notes in one of my keysounded maps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/414685
Liiraye
Can't map without them