thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Syaoran wrote:

Do they work with macbook ? OS system?
Yes! They are compatible with any modern OS without any driver installation required.

I say modern because I'd otherwise expect someone to ask if it works on a C64 or something.
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

I say modern because I'd otherwise expect someone to ask if it works on a C64 or something.
Pretty sure Commodores don't have USB ports, and I have yet to see an RS232 to micro-USB converter.
SayStrikes
Hello im interested in one of your keyboards, tell me how can i buy you one without a credit card. Such as Rapid Pago, Pago fácil, etc. So you print the bill, go pay it and get the product.
Salutes!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hello all! I'll have an announcement hopefully later in the week, but I just wanted to post now saying lenovive will be streaming on Twitch with an RGBW keypad and you can check him out here if you're interested [link]. I've wanted to put out more videos showing off the keypads but I haven't had a whole lot of time, so if you buy a keypad and stream or make any videos feel free to post a link to your content!

Shattking wrote:

Hello im interested in one of your keyboards, tell me how can i buy you one without a credit card. Such as Rapid Pago, Pago fácil, etc. So you print the bill, go pay it and get the product.
Salutes!
I'm sorry, I only accept payments through Etsy so I only accept what they accept (which you can view here.)
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 4/18/2016

The basic and basic+ now use the same Pro-Micro microcontroller that the LED and RGB use! This means a few things:

No more 8 seconds of bootloader mode upon plugging it in.
Same code base between models, making everything more cohesive.
1000hz polling rate!

Another big announcement is my new implementation of a button remapping system!

Guide: http://thnikk.moe/guides/remap/
This is implemented on every model INCLUDING the basic and basic+.
The old 8-second hold button swapper has been removed from the LED and RGB models in favor of simplicity.

Last but not least is a price cut! All models have gone down in price (prices are in USD and for base models.)

RGBW - $32 to $29
LED - $28 to $25
Basic+ - $25 to $22
Basic - $22 to $19
KanoSet

Thnikk wrote:

Update 4/18/2016

The basic and basic+ now use the same Pro-Micro microcontroller that the LED and RGB use! This means a few things:

No more 8 seconds of bootloader mode upon plugging it in.
Same code base between models, making everything more cohesive.
1000hz polling rate!
i hoped knew this was going to happen at some point
great update tho :D
Bottlecap
Are you still selling these keypads? I've been looking to purchase one
Symphonia
How is the tape function. You can clean it easy but on some point it shouldn't hold anymore?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 5/3/16

Something is in development...

Bottlecap wrote:

Are you still selling these keypads? I've been looking to purchase one
Yes, they have been up except for the RGB which I hope to have back up by next week. Links to the shop and specific products are in the OP!

Cerberus wrote:

How is the tape function. You can clean it easy but on some point it shouldn't hold anymore?
It can hold for a very long time and can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol when water stops working well, but I would like to start including spare strips in the future. I'll try to get that sorted when my development is completed.
The Gambler
Have you considered creating a mounting platform instead? I strapped mine to a cellphone stand, which is a ghetto way of doing it.

Topic Starter
Thnikk

The Gambler wrote:

Have you considered creating a mounting platform instead? I strapped mine to a cellphone stand, which is a ghetto way of doing it.

I have actually considered doing something like this (bringing a metal mousepad with me when I go out for testing to stick it to.) The biggest issue would be the shipping costs for international customers, but I could look for something and try it with a US only option on the shop.
Bottlecap
I just put in an order for a basic keypad with gateron clears, so excited!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 5/3/16

4k keypad code is done!
I plan on finishing the hardware prototype this week and will hopefully have it up on the shop by the end of the month. I'll post more details when the hardware is done.

Website has been redesigned: http://thnikk.moe/
I've switched to bootstrap to make everything cleaner and responsive. I was getting tired of the old look and I think it's a lot better now. The reprogramming guide has also been updated for my current keypads. The old guide is currently not available, but I do plan on getting it back up soon for people who have older keypads.

RGBW keypad is back in stock.
Keypop keycaps (8-bit heart, look of fury, and cloudy) are on their way and should be back up by the end of the week.

Edit: Keypop keycaps are back!
Yuudachi-kun
p/5128930

You gon' get shut down by the mods thinkk xdddd
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Khelly wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/5128930

You gon' get shut down by the mods thinkk xdddd
I would hope not. I haven't been using this thread as much for promotion as I have for feedback. I think I have a good reputation as far as sales are concerned (average of 5 stars for reviews 8-) ) and I don't handle any sales through the forum, everything is done through Etsy. This thread is great because it lets me talk to you guys and get feedback on my products FROM the community that I'm making them for. Speaking of which...

4k Keypad!

The design is still pending and I'll be making 2 more prototypes within the next few days just to play around with it a little bit, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys in the mean time.

LED modes

Cycle - Does a cascading rainbow effect. This was shown off in the video I posted above, but now also has a built-in reactive mode that turns the LEDs white when pressed.
Taiko - Changes to taiko colors (orange inside blue outside)
Project Diva - I made this one mostly for myself for playing the PSP project diva games though PPSSPP but it's just the sony color scheme layed out in the same way as the Project Diva Arcade. I was planning on doing most of my testing with the game since I suck at taiko and osu!mania (using two of them.)
Custom - Set the color of each individual LED. Could replace the Taiko and Project Diva modes but I think I'd like to have them all.
BPS - Same as the BPS mode on the 2 key RGBW keypad, changes color depending on how many times the key is pressed per second but per-key instead.

Port location
The port is on the back since the controller fit inside the case vertically. It could go on the left side like it does on my other models, but I think this is more accommodating if someone wanted to use two of them together (like I want to with my testing.)

Edit: also thinking that the side button doesn't make any sense on the left side anymore since one-handed use would tie up your pinky leaving only your thumb free. I think I will try the middle of the front.

Edit 2: Button moved
Mahogany
I wouldn't be worried, the mods just shut down stuff on a whim without giving their actual reasons.

If they tried to shut down this post, rest assured there'd be a shitstorm and it'd be unlocked.
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

4k Keypad!
Good call on those keycaps. I always have a problem with fingers slipping loose on my 4K set but can't be justified to order keycaps online except for when I want a full set...
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 6/3/16

So this is more of a halfway-update, but one that I'm still excited about.

Parts for the 4k model are on their way!
They should be up on the shop in about a week.

A new project...
SPOILER
As some of you may know, Project Diva Future Tone is coming out on the 23rd of June! I'm a huge fan of the series and I even picked up a ps4 just to play it. I made a post about a year ago about my attempts at making a controller for the PS3/PSTV but the dualshock 3 was a huge pain to work with and it ended up not working.

Since I already had a DS4 before I bought the PS4, I had an extra and decided to revisit the idea. This time it worked perfectly! I'm still using the same Ikea screw case and Chinese buttons I used last year and I have absolutely no experience with any arcade-style controllers.

Prototype 0.1

With it working, I decided I wanted to try to make a real one that doesn't suck and look like a 4th grade arts and crafts project so I made a mockup in Fusion360.

Concept prototype 1.0

This made me a lot more excited. Now I have some clear Sanwa buttons and a case like the one in the render on the way so hopefully I can make a slightly less shiny version of the one above! I don't know if this is something that I would like to make and sell, but since it doesn't really pertain to osu I'd like to not talk about it too much here. I just wanted to share with you guys because I thought the render came out really cool. I'll try to post about it more when the parts come in on twitter, so follow me if you're interested! [link]
Cataclysm
I don't want to make it seem like your fault or anything, but I have encountered problems with the keypad which bring me to ask if the keypad isn't compatible with some OS? I currently have windows 7 but it has brought up several (small) issues. Nothing serious but I'm just curious.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Symacon wrote:

I don't want to make it seem like your fault or anything, but I have encountered problems with the keypad which bring me to ask if the keypad isn't compatible with some OS? I currently have windows 7 but it has brought up several (small) issues. Nothing serious but I'm just curious.
Do you have another micro usb cable you can try out? That's what causes any issues most commonly.
Cataclysm
is it usb 3.0 or 2.0?
The Gambler

Symacon wrote:

is it usb 3.0 or 2.0?
Did you check your keyboard model? All the model specs are on thnikk's Etsy page
Cataclysm
Well I couldn't find it there so that is why I am asking
The Gambler

Symacon wrote:

Well I couldn't find it there so that is why I am asking
Googling the right information is a skill of its own. Train on that.
http://thnikk.moe/keypad/models/
Cataclysm
I saw that.. I just didn't realize what Micro USB B meant until I googled it after you said that.
The Gambler

Symacon wrote:

I saw that.. I just didn't realize what Micro USB B meant until I googled it after you said that.
I didn't either until Wikipedia told me. Praise peppy.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Not sure why I only get email notifications of posts sometimes.

Update 11/15/16
I guess I should have said this 2 weks ago, but the release of the 4k keypad has been delayed. I would like to release it as soon as possible, but I still have some logistical stuff to sort out and I've been very busy. I'm pushing the ETA back to the end of this month, but I am trying to get it up as soon as possible.

Symacon wrote:

Sorry about that, I used to work at a computer store that stocked micro usb type A and B so customers would always come to the counter with type A. I've felt the need to specify ever since, but most people don't know what the B means.

As you can see, A is no good since it won't physically fit (but B fits inside A making A cables useless.)

tl;dr it's just a regular micro usb port
Cataclysm
Thanks for clarifying that :D
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 7/13

Hello everyone! Since I haven't posted in a while, I thought I'd give a status report.

Absence
To start off, I've gotten another job and had less time to do development stuff. There is a reason for this, however, and I'm very close to getting a 3d printer now! For any of you that are curious, I was planning on getting the Printrbot Simple originally, but there Simple v2 comes out this month and I'm looking at that now.

3D Printer
So I've been talking about it a lot, but what does this mean for me any my shop?

Custom parts - This is the biggest thing for me. I'm still working on improving my Project Diva controller by adding things like the PS4 touchpad and analog sticks, but these are hard to add. Being able to make custom brackets would make this dead simple and inexpensive. Who knows what else I could make, the sky is the limit.

Custom cases - This I'm about 50/50 on. I don't want to compromise the quality of my keypads since the cases I've been using the same cases for a year and a half and they've been great and look pretty nice, but being able to print them would give me 100% flexibility of design and lighten my workload. I'll have to print one first to see how it looks, but this would be especially helpful for the 4k keypad since that's a lot of cutting and my hands aren't nearly as precise as a machine. This is the other reason I haven't finished the 4k keypad, since it would be a lot of work to go through all of the effort of taking pictures, writing descriptions, updating my website, taking shipping weight, etc. if I 'm just going to end up changing it in a month. It could also help with slimming them down a bit and helping mounting buttons internally so I don't have to use the panel mount side buttons anymore. Sorry to anyone that's been waiting, but I want to make the best thing I can. If you are still interested in a 4k keypad, PM me and we can work something out.
Rumon
This may seem like a stupid question but what is the weight of the keyboard. As if it is light it could be easily knocked around.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 7/27/16

Keypad status
More parts are on the way and the shop will be back up on August 1st.

3D Printer
I got my 3d printer and it's great! I was finally able to finish my project diva controller:

I'm very excited for future projects and the potential for future keypads. I'll be posting more 3d printed stuff on twitter so follow me if you're interested.

reeman123 wrote:

This may seem like a stupid question but what is the weight of the keyboard. As if it is light it could be easily knocked around.

It weighs about 1 ounce. The keypad uses tape (scotch restickable tabs) to stick to your desk and keep it from moving around, and can be cleaned when it gets dirty. I am thinking about trying something new soon, though.
Jau
The 4k one interests me if you can offer the rgbw version.
The only caveat I feel is the programmability. When not playing osu!, I'd love to have it act as a small macropad.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Jau wrote:

The 4k one interests me if you can offer the rgbw version.
The only caveat I feel is the programmability. When not playing osu!, I'd love to have it act as a small macropad.
I haven't completely decided yet, but I'm leaning towards only offering an RGBW version. All of my keypads are completely reprogrammable. My remapping utility lets you remap the keys to any character-printing key, but you could set up macros pretty easily as long as you're willing to get your feet wet with Arduino programming a little bit. I could also help you out with it.

Update 8/23/16

Hello everyone! I know I haven't posted in a while and my shop is currently down, but this has been one of the busiest times in all of my time making keypads.

Thread changes
I've been told by moderation that my thread poses an issue in its current state.
I respect the decision of the osu staff. I'm not sure if this thread will still be around in a week, but I have been told that I can have a thread for development (so basically exactly what this thread is right now) but no promotion or anything of the sort. It's a slight shift, but I may need to make a new thread, no big deal. From now on, no sale related conversation will take place in the thread and links to my Etsy shop will be removed. Just visit my twitter instead ;)

As always, if you do decide to buy from me, consider contributing to the development of the game by becoming a supporter.

3D Printing

I have a new family!

So after about a year, I was finally able to pick up not just one but TWO printers! The Printrbot Play is on the left and the Printrbot Simple is on the right. It took a couple weeks of tweaking, but I'm finally satisfied with both the designs I've come up with and the print quality of the two printers. Now I can introduce what all of my effort of the past two months has gone into (and the project diva controller, but that was just for fun.)

New 2K keypad
SPOILER
Dimensions: 32mm x 52.5mm x 15mm

I'm really happy with how the new cutouts came out.

Some new tape I'm trying and a single screw reliably holds the top and bottom together.

Here it is next to a print from two weeks ago. Amazing what a bed plate and some belt tightening can do.

And here it is next to my current keypads. It's smaller in every dimension!

New 4K keypad
SPOILER
Dimensions: 32mm x 92mm x 15mm

No keycaps

Smooth as a baby's bottom

Pros and Cons of using 3D printed cases:

Pros
No more cutting by hand
Machine precision
Cheaper (sort of)
Complete control over dimensions
Complete control over components (no more big panel-mount side buttons)
Color
Very easy to change

Downsides?
Looks. That's about it. Most aspects are within my control, but they will never look as good as a molded part. Honestly though, I think they're looking pretty good right now and it doesn't bother me.
Time, prints take a while.

I'm hoping to have these models available by the beginning of September. There will be one last tiny batch of my current models since I still have some parts, so it'll be your last chance to pick one up until they're gone forever. I'm currently waiting on some more parts to come in, so the shop will be down for the next week.
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

-snip-
Thou hast finally joineth teh 4k race xD.

Also pretty sure you can print batches of the same parts, so that should save on time.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 9/13/16

Hello everyone! Since the thread is shifting more towards a more changelog-style format, I'll be trying to conform to that here. The new keypads are up on the shop and there is one addition to the lineup while one has been taken away.

All models...
now use 3D printed cases. It's been a log time coming, but they're finally here.
are smaller! 65 to 52 mm, 35 to 32 mm, and 20 to 15 mm.
have more accurate cutouts for the switches, micro-USB port, and side button.
use tactile switches instead of the previous panel-mount buttons. These are a bit lower profile and also give tactile feedback wen pressed.
use "suction tape" instead of the previous scotch restickable tabs. In my experience so far it's been a but more resilient and sticks to the keyboard side much better.

All models EXCEPT for the LED model...

can have their switches opened.

No model specific updates, but we can now welcome...

The 4K Keypad!

Thank you to everyone for their patience. I've been wanting to make this for a while now and was finally able to do it with my 3D printers.

Side Projects

There are also some other things I've been working on. Here is the Baka Mouse (name subject to change) and the 1K Keypad.

The Baka Mouse (name subject to change) is intended to imitate the trackpoint experience found on an IBM Thinkpad (no, not Lenovo with their clickpad.) It's meant to sit below your keyboard centered under your spacebar, so you can type and move your cursor without having to move your right hand (or left if you're a lefty) away from the keyboard. This is especially useful when programming or for anything keyboard intensive. It's a bit too tall right now and the buttons are too small, but I've been wanting to make this for about a year now so it's nice to finally have a prototype.

The 1K Keypad was made for someone who wanted to use my keypads for a cognitive science experiment. It doesn't exactly fit for osu, but I designed it so I may as well put it up on the shop! I'm still working out the kinks but that will be coming soon.

I also painted and reprinted some of the parts for my Project Diva controller. Not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but I'm happy to have it to play Future Tone. I do plan on adding some additional lighting effects with the analog sticks soon, but it's kind of low priority at this point.

For more info and updates, please follow me on twitter! [link]
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

The 4K Keypad!
That 4K keypad looks *muwah* fantastic!!.. Sigh
o x
Wow the 4k keypad looks really good! Nice job on this!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 11/21/16
Hello everyone! It's been a while since the last update so I just wanted to check in and say all is well. Sales have been good and though I haven't really talked much of new products lately, I definitely feel as though I'm continuing to refine both my 3D modeling/printing and programming skills. Speaking of no new products lately...

Macro Keypad

This was such a spur of the moment project. I got two similar requests -- an arrow key keypad and a 2x3 macro keypad. I had already modeled the arrow keypad when I got the macro request, so I thought one design would work fine for both and there's no downside to getting two extra keys.

The big feature here is that each key can be mapped to a key and up to two modifiers. That means you can use it to play osu or use as WASD or arrow keys, use it in conjunction with autohotkey and open programs or change your volume, the sky is the limit. This is definitely less of an osu specific keypad, but also allows for some more freedom that my 2k keypads don't offer if you'd like additional functionality. You could easily have it set up for z, x, smoke, up, down, and escape. You could even make one of the keys a modifier and reassign the keys in the game to take advantage of that.

Hopefully coming in early December!

Switch Opening Kit
Not much to say here but the parts are on the way! Hopefully also coming in early December. It will come with tweezers, a tool to keep one side of the switch open, and 2-6 switches.

Other Projects
The baka mouse is currently on hiatus as I've had more interesting projects lately. Getting natural-feeling mouse movement was much more difficult than I initially expected and I might be more interested in looking for an alternative to the PSP analog stick all togther. It is still something that I'd like to have though so it's definitely on the to-do list.

The 1K keypad is a great example of something that takes no time at all to work on which is the perfect excuse for not working on it. It's definitely not a priority though and I'd rather spend my time working on the macro keypad for now.

ReadTheDocs
I've wanted an official page for documentation for a while, and I think ReadTheDocs is perfect. I can update everything easily though GitHub and I don't have to waste my time trying to make it look clean and simple, so I can spend more time writing documentation. Check it out here! http://docs.thnikk.moe/

Code

With the code I've written for the macro keypad (the 4K too), I think I'm getting much better at writing clean and concise code. Since all of my keypads use the same microcontroller, there's no reason that I couldn't go back and add this serial remapper to all of the other models. While I'm at it, I may rewrite all of the code or edit it if it's simple enough.

Gateron Switches

As some of you have noticed, I'm currently out of Gateron clears. Not a huge problem, just buy some more, right?

Unfortunately, the switches I use for my keypads are no longer being made. The normal Gaterons with the milky white case have been replaced with black bottom and clear tops. These are 100% incompatible with my current setup, but that doesn't mean the RGB keypads are going away. In fact, with the macro keypad, they might be getting an addition to the family.

But if I can't get more of these switches, how am I going to continue? I'll use the SMD LED switches, of course! These have small notches in the bottom that are meant to accommodate surface mount LEDs on a PCB. The only downside is that they may only fit 3535 LEDs instead of the 5050s I use which limits me to RGB. It's not too much of a problem since I only switched to RGBW for simpler code and there's little to no aesthetic benefit, but I'll have to change the code a little bit which I was planning on doing anyway. I'll be getting the switches in later this week (hopefully) and try go get this figured out.

The Gambler wrote:

That 4K keypad looks *muwah* fantastic!!.. Sigh

Cawub wrote:

Wow the 4k keypad looks really good! Nice job on this!
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with how it came out :)
The Gambler

Thnikk wrote:

ReadTheDocs
I've wanted an official page for documentation for a while, and I think ReadTheDocs is perfect. I can update everything easily though GitHub and I don't have to waste my time trying to make it look clean and simple, so I can spend more time writing documentation. Check it out here! http://docs.thnikk.moe/

Code

With the code I've written for the macro keypad (the 4K too), I think I'm getting much better at writing clean and concise code. Since all of my keypads use the same microcontroller, there's no reason that I couldn't go back and add this serial remapper to all of the other models. While I'm at it, I may rewrite all of the code or edit it if it's simple enough.
[size=150]
Sigh. my noobius maximus in code is showing... I'll somehow adopt your code to the teensy, one day.
Ronja
amazing
show more