forum

[Taiko] Wii Tatacon to USB Converter

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Still waiting for the parcel, but while I wait, I got hard numbers on latency.

Using my scope, I had 1 probe connected to a piezo mic, and another to the LED of the converter. This LED updates at 1KHz, the same rate as the USB update rate.

I then smacked the drum 50 times, and recorded the delay between the moment the piezo started to respond, and when the converter registered a hit. An example measurement:

After 50 hits, here are the results:
Average: 1.802ms
Median: 1.77ms
Std Deviation: 0.44454517
Min: 1.1ms
Max: 2.78ms

Rounding the max value up, I can confidently say that there is an absolute worst case 3ms lag. And average lag of 1.8ms. This is imperceptible. Lagfree = confirmed!
Korrui
Sounds good.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I've been prototyping a case.

This is an early prototype so the case doesn't fit properly and looks bad, but would there be interest? It would be 3-5 USD delivered, or cheaper if bundled with the converter. The source is also open so if you own a 3D printer you can make it yourself.

Pictures inside the spoilerbox...
Bauxe
I'd like a case when I buy one yeah, would be nice.
Korrui
I'm happy that I was able to help you and give you the thought of doing cases for them. Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Any colour, so long as it's black...

I'll see if I can do colour choice. No confirmation yet.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Given any thought to making them in different colors?
Any colour, so long as it's black...

I'll see if I can do colour choice. No confirmation yet.
Haha ok
Obama Taichou
Can't wait till I can get my hands on this. Got a taiko game for Wii for Christmas two years back and couldn't play it since the game is region locked.
Korrui

Obama Taichou wrote:

Can't wait till I can get my hands on this. Got a taiko game for Wii for Christmas two years back and couldn't play it since the game is region locked.

Lol I hate region locked stuff.
Obama Taichou

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Obama Taichou wrote:

Lol i hate region locked stuff
yes sir
afureru
Great news!

Will you ship it to Brazil when it's available?
Topic Starter
montymintypie

afureru wrote:

Will you ship it to Brazil when it's available?
I hear that in Brazil post can take a very long time. I will ship there, but can make the package Registered if you require the additional guarantee.
MakkipMaster
This looks SO amazing! I'd love to use this for Taikojiro, actually. Would it only work with Osu?

//also if possible could I be emailed when they arrive? I don't wanna miss them or anything :3
Topic Starter
montymintypie
The converter pretends to be a keyboard - as long as the keys are set to the same ones you use in Taikojiro, it will work fine. I will release the configuration app when I start shipping converters.

If you subscribe to this thread you will get an email when someone posts. I will post as soon as they arrive! I expect them here by Friday - fingers crossed :)
FluffyHuggie
I just recently got a tatacon and when I Bluetooth connected it to my PC, it worked on osu but I had to hit ACTUAL SMASHING strength to get just one hit and I think it's the problem with the wii so I am really looking forward to this. I also admire you on how you have been working on this for a year!!
So when do you think the final product will be ready and ready to ship, I really need this!
Korrui

FluffyHuggie wrote:

I just recently got a tatacon and when I Bluetooth connected it to my PC, it worked on osu but I had to hit ACTUAL SMASHING strength to get just one hit and I think it's the problem with the wii so I am really looking forward to this. I also admire you on how you have been working on this for a year!!
So when do you think the final product will be ready and ready to ship, I really need this!

I know right!? I have heard that putting a towel or cloth over it helps. I don't really understand how, but I tried it and it helps a little so you don't have to use the force that you would use to cut the branch off of a tree with an ax XD.
Topic Starter
montymintypie
They're here!

Building...

Complete!

2 important notes
  • The cases aren't ready yet. If you purchase now you won't get a case.
    I underestimated some costs and the price had to be raised to $25. Shipping is still free!
If you are happy with this, go buy them here! I will ship all purchases within 3 business days of payment. :)

While you're at it, the Chrome web app is now public. You will need it to configure buttons, LEDs, debouncing, and for future firmware updates.
Thievsly
Ahhhh, yissss! I been creeping on this thread for ages! My order has been made!
MakkipMaster
heck, i've only got 20$ :// next time for sure! ^^
Bauxe
Ordered mine, looking forward to it!
Catgirl
I'll pass on this first batch actually because I can't use it right now, but I'm looking forward to see footage of people playing and using one, that would be pretty cool!
FluffyHuggie
Ill be waiting for the cases to come out so when will that be, and also how much stock do you have because I surely wouldn't want it to run out and I won't be able to buy it! :( :(
Topic Starter
montymintypie

FluffyHuggie wrote:

Ill be waiting for the cases to come out so when will that be, and also how much stock do you have because I surely wouldn't want it to run out and I won't be able to buy it! :( :(
I have 12 left. If I run out, I will simply order more :)

Cases.... fortnight? I don't have a 3D printer so there's a lot of shuffling getting other people to print them for me.
FluffyHuggie

montymintypie wrote:

FluffyHuggie wrote:

Cases.... fortnight? I don't have a 3D printer so there's a lot of shuffling getting other people to print them for me.
Alright then I'll be waiting to order it when you announce the cases thanks!
afureru

FluffyHuggie wrote:

montymintypie wrote:

I also was insterested on your case, but I'm afraid you run out of converters by the time you get them ready...

Would you make your 3D models available for people printing their own cases? In that case, I think I could ask a friend of mine to print it for me :)
Topic Starter
montymintypie

afureru wrote:

Would you make your 3D models available for people printing their own cases? In that case, I think I could ask a friend of mine to print it for me :)
Absolutely! The unfinished cases are in .scad format in the Github repo. When they are finished, I'll also release .stl files which any 3D printer supports!
FluffyHuggie
Oh and if you have time can you show us a example like a video or something that shows the usb converter and a tatacon in use so I could see the lag free results and just how hard or soft you need to hit, but you dont have to I'm just curious :D
Topic Starter
montymintypie

FluffyHuggie wrote:

Oh and if you have time can you show us a example like a video or something that shows the usb converter and a tatacon in use so I could see the lag free results and just how hard or soft you need to hit, but you dont have to I'm just curious :D
Give me a couple of days to clean my desk and sure ;)
FluffyHuggie
ALRIGHT heheh :)
XOlifreX
OMG! :D
Definitely buying one in the near future!
Great work, montymintypie! :)
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I'm about to order more boards, but I wanted to ask people's opinions - currently there's a USB A port on the converter. It's like a USB flash drive or a dongle of sorts.

Would people prefer micro USB, like on their phone? Pros: can get a longer cable out of it. Cons: If you don't have a cable already it's 1 extra thing you need.
FluffyHuggie

montymintypie wrote:

I'm about to order more boards, but I wanted to ask people's opinions - currently there's a USB A port on the converter. It's like a USB flash drive or a dongle of sorts.

Would people prefer micro USB, like on their phone? Pros: can get a longer cable out of it. Cons: If you don't have a cable already it's 1 extra thing you need.
I would want it to be just the USB for computer, more easier just plug it in right away right?
Topic Starter
montymintypie
I have just ordered 50 more boards, same style as the first batch. I estimate 1.5 months delivery. Hopefully they don't have component supply issues again!

Still working on the cases - 3D printing comes with its own set of challenges.

I have about 5 boards left from the first batch.
Bauxe
My converter just came in today! Will test out and see if it's worthwhile.
Thievsly
Got mine in the mail just now, unfortunately my drum decided to stop functioning this morning... so I have no way of testing it at this time :| if anyone has a spare one that I can borrow, I would be very grateful. I was planning on doing a series of videos.

Edit: the Aussie candies were a nice touch.
Korrui
Wow they look amazing (OCD is satisfied that they are all aligned)
Topic Starter
montymintypie
Thanks for everyone's support! The first batch is now sold out.

I expect the second batch by late April/early May. By then I should hopefully have nailed the case design too. People who have purchased this batch will be able to 3D print their own case :)
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

Thanks for everyone's support! The first batch is now sold out.

I expect the second batch by late April/early May. By then I should hopefully have nailed the case design too. People who have purchased this batch will be able to 3D print their own case :)
Do you still have mine on hold? It's fine if you don't I can wait until the next batch but I will be able to buy it this weekend(Hopefully).
Topic Starter
montymintypie

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Do you still have mine on hold?
Yes! I wouldn't sell it after holding it so long, that'd just be rude.
Korrui

montymintypie wrote:

AnimeGod2205 wrote:

Do you still have mine on hold?
Yes! I wouldn't sell it after holding it so long, that'd just be rude.
Thanks!
show more