forum

Metadata Discussion/Clarification

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lust
If you need any help with metadata, feel free to post here with your concerns as well as any discussion. We invite all with any doubts to post here; better to have an issue clarified before it is too late.

We have several members of the team who can help clarify metadata, however if you cannot reach one of those people listed below this thread is always open for posts.
  1. Fycho
  2. Gamu
  3. Guy
  4. IamKwaN
  5. KSHR
  6. Okoratu
  7. Satellite
  8. Tari
Original post
KSHR (Aug 26, 2014) - Creator

As the title shows.

If you are unsure if a web site you found is official, ask native Japanese players. Lately some modders mention download sites as an official source and it makes mappers confused.

The reason why websites such as download services and wikipedia can't be an official source is, sometimes labels on them conflict with ones on official websites.

Currently we have 7 Japanese staff (alacat, Delis, Guy, Melophobia, Satellite, TKS and KSHR). In order to prevent future unranks over a metadata issue, do not hesitate to ask.
Useful Links:
- Japanese metadata queue
t/239756
- Confirmed metadata list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
- Metadata Guide by Tari
p/3426935
Scorpiour
this link could be referred here

t/185922
Tari
You forgot to add me , KSHR and Lanturn as we are all capable of finding the correct Metadata.
Topic Starter
Lust
This was a converted post from the trello. I guess I can spruce the thread up a bit to be more reflective of its intended purpose. You all are in the japanese metadata queue anyway.
Lanturn
Further uses of this thread could be used by BATs who are ready to bubble/rank a map but need verification on metadata since opening a new thread solely on metadata for one song would just clutter up this forum more than it needs to.

I wouldn't mind having this thread as a go-to for BAT when they can't contact anyone in #modhelp or PM. It will honestly be easier than the current Metadata thread we have up in Pending Beatmaps as it will let us focus more on the stuff that is ready rather than maps that might never see the light of day.
Topic Starter
Lust
Good idea. Let me fix up the OP
Melophobia

Lanturn wrote:

Further uses of this thread could be used by BATs who are ready to bubble/rank a map but need verification on metadata since opening a new thread solely on metadata for one song would just clutter up this forum more than it needs to.

I wouldn't mind having this thread as a go-to for BAT when they can't contact anyone in #modhelp or PM. It will honestly be easier than the current Metadata thread we have up in Pending Beatmaps as it will let us focus more on the stuff that is ready rather than maps that might never see the light of day.
^ Totally agree with Lanturn, things will be much easier that way.
KSHR
Fycho seems to be able to confirm Japanese metadata. Added him as well.

p/3502240 etc.
Lanturn
Question about interpuncts / nakaguro (なかぐろ/中黒)| This thing "・" for Romanization.

Should we use them as periods "." Asterisks "*" or simply ignore them like M O S T maps do?

Seems to be in favor of ignoring them, but I'd like an opinon or two before I cause a disqualify for other BATs.

----

Edit: Thanks Melo for your input! I'll just use it as nothing for now since it's the only response so far :)
Melophobia
Just my two cents...

I'm standing for ingnoring them completely. Interpuncts are in most cases used to separate foreign words which are written in katakana. Japanese sentence doesn't have any space (while english does) so we sometimes use interpuncts instead.
Sakura
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/232342

So originally it was: BlackY - Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence -2012 BlackY's XmasCoreStyle-
Then after discussion with Andrea and confirmation from Tari: p/3558478 decided to use the original artist instead of the remixer.
Now it's 坂本 龍一 (Sakamoto Ryuichi) - Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence -2012 BlackY's XmasCoreStyle-

Then Andrea receives PM from Sieg that artist should be the remixer instead.

So i'm kinda confused about how the metadata actually goes in this map...
Sieg
So confusing indeed, I've got a similar case 3 month ago. For more details p/3366423 :|
Shohei Ohtani
The artist needs to be the remixer. I discussed it with Charles while doing Sieg's map.
Sakura
I'll add that it is not an official remix, it was remixed by someone that goes by the username BlackY on nicovideo, and uploaded by themselves, so i'm not entirely sure how that would work...

TicClick says that it should be original artist too @_@
log
2014-12-09 15:46 Sakura: Hey TicClick can i ask you for help with something metadata related
2014-12-09 15:47 TicClick: hm?
2014-12-09 15:47 Sakura: When a song it's a remix of another song, do you put the remixer as artist, or the original as artist and in the title you put (person's remix)
2014-12-09 15:47 TicClick: anything but Japanese meta, I am bad at it
2014-12-09 15:48 TicClick: depends on under which title it was uploaded
2014-12-09 15:48 Sakura: Uhh, let's see, the artist is X, then a person went and remixed it and uploaded it to nico (that's like the most official source for the remix atm)
2014-12-09 15:48 Sakura: p/3558478 pretty much what says in the chatlog here
2014-12-09 15:49 Sakura: Basically the title on nico shows "Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence -2012 BlackY's XmasCoreStyle-" and was uploaded by the remixer, BlackY
2014-12-09 15:49 Sakura: that's like the closest source i've had about the remix
2014-12-09 15:50 Sakura: but the original was by a japanese artist, tho the artist metadata would be correct if they go as artist, my concern right now is whether to use BlackY as artist or the original
2014-12-09 15:50 TicClick: keep original, I guess
2014-12-09 15:51 Sakura: Because it's not an official remix?
2014-12-09 15:53 TicClick: uhh, I don;t know
2014-12-09 15:53 TicClick: it feels right to me
2014-12-09 15:53 Sakura: yeah to me too
Shohei Ohtani
But they didn't make it

that's what the artist is

the artist is the person that made it

It's sort of like when white girls cover songs on youtube. It's not Taylor Swift. It's xxXxbubblegurrrlll2001xXx
Sakura
Isn't it like Nightcore mixes tho?
Sakura
So i'm back with yet another metadata issue
p/3560365 this mapset of the song スクール フード パニッシュメント (School Food Punishment) - in bloom, according to the artist's website (as pointed in the post) it is School Food Punishment, but my question is whether it should still be included the unicode version or use the one in the website instead. (in the former it means it's fine in the later it means it needs to change), since in another map something similar happened: p/2699521 but it's a year ago so idk orz.

Edit: Ok so got confirmation from Tari and Fycho that if the website shows "School Food Punishment" then it doesn't need unicode (but unicode should go in tags), and pushed it into qualified, still need more opinions on the christmas one tho :<
Andrea
All these metadata stuff are pretty confusing I have to say :/
Kurokami
Okay, I bumped into some serious problem with t/261238.
The Artist should be "大谷幸" as romanized "Kow Otani" from various sources like vgmdb or wiki but Kou Otani sounds a bit better to me and there are some more variation on vgmdb. And at the same time I'm cocerned about the song's title and source as well since I found nothing about it.

Edit: Deif solved this problem.
Melophobia
I think Kow Otani is fine according to his twitter. :<
Topic Starter
Lust
Added Okoratu to the list of people who can help out with metadata. Let me know if any others are proficient in sorting such stuff out so I can update the thread!
IamKwaN
Add me please, thanks!
Topic Starter
Lust
Added, sorry for not noticing your post o7
Kibbleru
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/248162
tell me if this romanization is correct cuz isnt
Prie a Dieu -> Pray for God
a translation rather than romanization?

also is it Touhou Project? or just Touhou
Topic Starter
Lust
Should be 東方Project in the source, as that is how it is officially written (plus it is customary to have the source in the language it is officially written, no?). Since we have the ability to use unicode in the source, might as well get into the habit of correcting these. You can add Touhou Project to the tags so it can still be found normally

Oko should've cleared up the prie a dieu thing to jonathan already
xxdeathx
I bubbled CloudSplash16's Black Bullet loli duo song p/3839269#p3839269 - just be careful about the artist:
There's an ongoing discussion in ranking criteria forums about about whether the artist should include Enju and Tina's names since they are just characters from Black Bullet, but this is what KSHR told Cloudsplash to go with for now, and the rest of the map looks good.
I don't think the situation should hinder the map's bubble though, so I gave it.
KSHR

xxdeathx wrote:

I bubbled CloudSplash16's Black Bullet loli duo song p/3839269#p3839269 - just be careful about the artist:
There's an ongoing discussion in ranking criteria forums about about whether the artist should include Enju and Tina's names since they are just characters from Black Bullet, but this is what KSHR told Cloudsplash to go with for now, and the rest of the map looks good.
I don't think the situation should hinder the map's bubble though, so I gave it.
I should probably clarify this.
As some of you know already, there is the forum where the exact same thing has been discussed in the Ranking Criteria sub forum.
If you've never read it, please read it first.

As you can read, I'm all for this suggestion that only voice actors' names should be added to unicode/romanized artist fields.
The following are reasons why I agree with this.
1. They are real singers who sing the song, also characters are fictional.
2. To prevent BSS error. For more detail, please refer to Sonnyc's post.
3. It looks weird.

However I told CloudSplash to keep the current artist because even I don't know if this can be a valid reason for the disqualification. Well I guess no one probably cares such a thing though. In conclusion, I think it'd be safe to keep the current one until the rule about this is stated into the Ranking Criteria.

I would appreciate it if you could post your opinion in the forum which I linked above.
pishifat
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/234919

there are 2 other ranked sets of the same song which use different artists

the first one has metadata based on the cd, which doesn't include (parentheses), while the second is based on the video, which does use them. both sources are official from what i know so yea i'm screwed please

lanturn is my savior
show more