forum

[Rule Change] Vocaloids being "featured"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dkun
OLD OP

DakeDekaane wrote:

Well, I'm not good explaining myself, so I'll be direct.

We know about that rule disallowing us from put Vocaloid names in Artist, but~
sasakure.UK feat. Hatsune Miku - *Hello,Planet.
That map was recently ranked and nobody argued against that, the reason is that in the video was stated Hatsune Miku included as an artist.
I have nothing against the map and I won't mess farther than this.

But as a community that has enforced and putting the rules at the top, these kind of things doesn't make sense at all, so this rule about Vocaloid must change to admit these special cases and avoid some kind of big problems in the future.

I highly suggest rewriting the rule about Vocaloid songs in two ways:
  1. Vocaloid songs must follow the following format:"[Composer name] feat. [Vocaloid name]" for Artist. This way people is able to know which Vocaloid is singing as well to credit the composer of that song.
Nothing more to explain here, is easy to understand.

1. Vocaloid names must be used as an Artist if they're stated in an official source. If this is not the case, you must use the composer as the Artist.
All Vocaloid fans and listeners should know that songs like Melt and Black Rock Shooter state "supercell (or ryo) feat. Hatsune Miku" as Artist, so we should respect that kind of songs. Some well-known games, as Taiko no Tatsujin, states in these kind of songs "YM feat. GUMI" (for Juumensou in the arcade version), or in some cases just "feat. Hatsune Miku" (for Melt in the 3rd Nintendo DS game), when the music used in this games is not the original one of the composer.

Let the discussion begin~

Dake brought up a discussion about this about a year ago. The map in question now is a recently unranked osu!mania map here.
My proposed change is similar to Dake's.
  1. Vocaloids can be featured within the artist section if the producer/composer includes it via official sources. This ensures that we enforce metadata being accurate in all cases.
Discussion and finalization closes in a week.
Roxas
Absolutely agreeing about this, especially when it's written in the source.
Jenny
I think I brought this up when the initial vocaloid discussion happened.. still up for it, so yeah, go go
sheela
I agree with this.
Piine
Seem agreeable.
those
For reference:

peppy wrote:

Hatsune Miku is not an artist. In fact, the guidelines of using vocaloid commercially (how most of the songs are distributed) state that you can't use the names of the characters in the song metadata itself. None of the doujin artists that produce the bulk of vocaloid tracks use the vocaloid's name as the artist, because it is incorrect. The fact it is being used this way on osu! is wrong.

"feat." is the best proposed solution thusfar. Personally I'd leave the vocaloid names in tags (possibly without a space so they can be grouped for searching).

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind adding "feat." is butchering the song's actual metadata. Tags is a much better solution in my eyes, as long as it is searchable for those trying to find a vocaloid tracks.
As an example, livetune feat.初音ミク would now be allowed, since http://vgmdb.net/album/31158
neonat
Wasn't this discussed earlier too
t/184978
arcwinolivirus

those wrote:

For reference:

peppy wrote:

Hatsune Miku is not an artist. In fact, the guidelines of using vocaloid commercially (how most of the songs are distributed) state that you can't use the names of the characters in the song metadata itself. None of the doujin artists that produce the bulk of vocaloid tracks use the vocaloid's name as the artist, because it is incorrect. The fact it is being used this way on osu! is wrong.

"feat." is the best proposed solution thusfar. Personally I'd leave the vocaloid names in tags (possibly without a space so they can be grouped for searching).

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind adding "feat." is butchering the song's actual metadata. Tags is a much better solution in my eyes, as long as it is searchable for those trying to find a vocaloid tracks.
As an example, livetune feat.初音ミク would now be allowed, since http://vgmdb.net/album/31158
I agree, that's why I included the composer name into my mania map because I thought it is already allowed other ranked maps have also that "feat." title.
Topic Starter
dkun
Finalizing this as no one has anything against it after a week's period of time.

OLD: Vocaloid names must never go in Artist or Source.' Instead, use the composer of said song with "Vocaloid" as Artist, the Vocaloid name can go in the tags; more info: p/1767683

NEW: Vocaloids can be featured within the artist section if the producer/composer includes it via official sources. This ensures that we enforce metadata being accurate in all cases.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions!
WingSilent
What if we have an Off Vocal song ?
neonat

Lumina wrote:

What if we have an Off Vocal song ?
The official source wouldn't even have the "feat." if it's off vocal
WingSilent
And this upcoming rule will apply on all Vocaloids Pending Beatmaps ?
Because I am mapping one of them.
neonat
Anything that is not Ranked yet, yes.
Cloudchaser
Finally.
Kamikaze
I have a question regarding NicoNicoChorus covers of vocaloid songs, if I were to map for example NNC cover of Six Trillion Years and Overnight Story (produced by kemu) should I set artist as kemu feat. NicoNicoChorus or just NicoNicoChours?
I know it's not very related but I just want to be sure about this one
neonat
Sometimes when it's a cover, the original source doesn't show the composer but the singer's name, especially on the album itself. So it depends I guess.
Akasha-
Yes, I agree about this! It should have!