forum

Osu for Mac! Project - Now working as a music player!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Will Zhang
[English]
This project is to favor the Osu! users on Macs.

Prototype download:
http://osu.willian-zhang.com

I'm a new game programer, this is my first project. I hope it to be a successful one.

P.S.
With tech based on Mac Progamming, this Project is easy to derive to an Osu for iPad or iPhone one.

[日本語]
このプロジェクトはMac使用者のために始めだ。

プロトタイプダウンロード:

これは私の初めてのゲエムプロジェクトです、を楽しみにください。

P.S.
一度完成した場は、iPadやiPhoneでものプロジェクトを簡単に作れる事。

[中文]
本项目应Mac使用者所立.

原型下载位置:

这是我第一次编写游戏程序,希望能把它完美的完成吧~

P.S.
因为使用了Mac上的编程技术,所以这个项目应该能很简单得移植到iPad或者iPhone上!

Kiciuk
Cool but i think Linux version is more important than Mac
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Kiciuk wrote:

Cool but i think Linux version is more important than Mac
sry but i don't use Linux for the moment %>_<%
Flower
Support this. Could you also write a brief introduction to it, and some log on current progress, like what it has, and what are you going to interpret?

支持。能否撰写一个简略的介绍,以及关于当前的功能,以及将来会增加的功能的记录?
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Flower wrote:

Support this. Could you also write a brief introduction to it, and some log on current progress, like what it has, and what are you going to interpret?

谢谢支持,现在依旧是可行性研究阶段,有若干问题需要测试是否能够解决,毕竟mac下不是Dx; 下载的原型只是在说:"这个项目已经开始了,请大家关注一下,这样我就有更多的动力做下去",尚无可用的功能,所以应该(在正式决定制作并维护这个项目前)还不会有记录文件.
ErunamoJAZZ
I admire that you have the initiative to do this.
But honestly I think it's a bad idea that you focus only on mac. In a APIs mac are easy to use, and are well optimized. Make a game like Osu require much effort, and it's a pity that all that effort is enjoyed only for mac users, leaving aside Linux users (like me).

However, I wish you good luck with your project :)
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

ErunamoJAZZ wrote:

I admire that you have the initiative to do this.
But honestly I think it's a bad idea that you focus only on mac. In a APIs mac are easy to use, and are well optimized. Make a game like Osu require much effort, and it's a pity that all that effort is enjoyed only for mac users, leaving aside Linux users (like me).

However, I wish you good luck with your project :)
Considering the API I use is designed for both Mac and iOS, it would be easy to migrate this project to an iPhone or iPad one.
I don't know why the Osu! Stream is not opened to current beatmap, but I really think it possible to make a good iOS version, if the version on Mac is accomplishable.
ErunamoJAZZ

Will Zhang wrote:

Considering the API I use is designed for both Mac and iOS, it would be easy to migrate this project to an iPhone or iPad one.
I don't know why the Osu! Stream is not opened to current beatmap, but I really think it possible to make a good iOS version, if the version on Mac is accomplishable.
Concerning Osu!Stream: http://blog.ppy.sh/post/73201847608/app ... a-where-is

PD: You may be interested see this: http://www.sfml-dev.org/
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

ErunamoJAZZ wrote:

Will Zhang wrote:

Concerning Osu!Stream: http://blog.ppy.sh/post/73201847608/app ... a-where-is

PD: You may be interested see this: http://www.sfml-dev.org/
Thank you, it would help me much when I deal with the App Store.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Flower wrote:

现在可以前往这里查看版本日志了:
http://osu.willian-zhang.com/log.php
AGRX
hope peppy like this, good luck with project
Novixion
Hmmm, from what I see so far, really good!
Gotta keep an eye on this post.

Will this version eventually supported the HiDPI mode of Retina display Macs?
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Novixion wrote:

Hmmm, from what I see so far, really good!
Gotta keep an eye on this post.

Will this version eventually supported the HiDPI mode of Retina display Macs?
Yes, actually it does already.
peppy
I will not allow a release of osu! on the app store, though (osu!stream will be the only iOS release of osu!). Also, I believe the OS X (wine based) version is already sufficient? Is there a reason to develop one from scratch?

Or in other words: making a version of osu! from scratch in places it is already usable is redundant – and a step backwards – in my eyes.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

peppy wrote:

I will not allow a release of osu! on the app store, though (osu!stream will be the only iOS release of osu!). Also, I believe the OS X (wine based) version is already sufficient? Is there a reason to develop one from scratch?

Or in other words: making a version of osu! from scratch in places it is already usable is redundant – and a step backwards – in my eyes.
Orz.
For Osu! stream on app store, will it support the current maps on pc, or why not? Osu! users with an iOS Device definitely would be pleased with this functionality.
And for Osu on mac(wine based version). It seems to be laggy (especially on ar>=8) with low fps rate and supports poor on retina displays,which, i think, is caused by the wine engine.

Or to say, versions using the APIs provided by Apple would be running great both on Macs and iOSs. So why not build some with easy access to a PC version?
peppy
osu!stream will have pc map support, yes.

osu! will have native support for os x via mono in the future. building from scratch is not the correct way, in my eyes. i mean sure, you will get something working and it may play maps, but adding all the features required for a full-blown osu! is just a waste of time, when that time could be spent on making osu! run correctly under mono.

by the way, i am not telling you to stop working on this. just saying you will not have my official support for this kind of approach.
also i play on wine daily and have none of the said issues (except no HiDpi support, which isn't a deal-breaker for me).
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

peppy wrote:

osu!stream will have pc map support, yes.

osu! will have native support for os x via mono in the future. building from scratch is not the correct way, in my eyes. i mean sure, you will get something working and it may play maps, but adding all the features required for a full-blown osu! is just a waste of time, when that time could be spent on making osu! run correctly under mono.

by the way, i am not telling you to stop working on this. just saying you will not have my official support for this kind of approach.
also i play on wine daily and have none of the said issues (except no HiDpi support, which isn't a deal-breaker for me).
:D Great news to know.

I agree on your point of " a waste of time", maybe i'm just can't wait to see the "nearing perfect" version on mac.
Still i want to ask if i can get any support on the multiplay, even without score submitting?
peppy
Nah, no plans on having non-official client connect to bancho sorry :(. If you have experience with .NET and are interested in helping get osu! working via mono, you may be able to help there though. I'm looking for people to help out here, since I don't personally have the time.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

peppy wrote:

Nah, no plans on having non-official client connect to bancho sorry :(. If you have experience with .NET and are interested in helping get osu! working via mono, you may be able to help there though. I'm looking for people to help out here, since I don't personally have the time.
:( I've only been dealing around obj-c and several web programing projects yet. Though .NET is what i'm going to get to someday, I don't know for sure you will be still working on that project at that time.

In few words: Sorry, not yet.

Also, I still will try work this(Osu for Mac!) out. And please keep an eye on this to see if it goes well, if it does, you may decide whether to support me on the connections or try to make me a part of your dev team, or maybe something else.
peppy
Yep, keep working on this and see where it takes you. Others seem to be interested, and if you make progress at very least it will place more pressure on me to fix the OS X situation.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang
I'm encountering a lack of UI elements, reply me if someone can help!
ngbeslhang

peppy wrote:

Yep, keep working on this and see where it takes you. Others seem to be interested, and if you make progress at very least it will place more pressure on me to fix the OS X situation.
Actually, why not develop the game with cross-platform programming languages at first? Like C++ or Java, or even build it on Mono at first place? (If you say that C# was the only programming language you know when planning to develop osu!, here's another question, why you don't go learn C++ or C language before planning? If you say that you like C#, then fine... :/)
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

ngbeslhang wrote:

peppy wrote:

Actually, why not develop the game with cross-platform programming languages at first? Like C++ or Java, or even build it on Mono at first place? (If you say that C# was the only programming language you know when planning to develop osu!, here's another question, why you don't go learn C++ or C language before planning? If you say that you like C#, then fine... :/)
Actually, I think, he did't realize this game would get so popular.
Kurogamii
what engine do you use to make this app?? XCode?
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Kurogamii wrote:

what engine do you use to make this app?? XCode?
right objective-c in Xcode
peppy
c# is as cross-platform as c++ these days. The issue isn't c#; the issue is the underlying win32 api calls.

The same issue would have been there with a c++ codebase. You need to understand a lot of osu! functions are windows-dependent, and need reimplementation per operating system. It already compiles and runs under mono on OS X and linux.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

peppy wrote:

c# is as cross-platform as c++ these days. The issue isn't c#; the issue is the underlying win32 api calls.

The same issue would have been there with a c++ codebase. You need to understand a lot of osu! functions are windows-dependent, and need reimplementation per operating system. It already compiles and runs under mono on OS X and linux.

Really? Is mono works well as current windows version there? I thought apps are just not that well when trying to cross-platform themselves, maybe it's not true.
AGRX
For example a game called League of Legend. Its OSX version share the same code with original Windows version of the game. But in order to work cross-platform a lot of things had to be reimplemented. Having the same game not sharing same code crossplatform has no future in my opinion. I think learning C# and mono port would be more effective beneficial and timesaving.
Topic Starter
Will Zhang
It's kinda long way to go.....

Though I'm skipping easy works and now working on map reading....

Feels good programming while having it playing the map songs on the PC version.
Thunder2333
Have spend a long time to do the searching, then I find this great project. Keep working!
The bad news is it's not working on osx 10.9.3, pls help~~ :(
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Thunder2333 wrote:

Have spend a long time to do the searching, then I find this great project. Keep working!
Not working on osx 10.9.3? could you tell me more?
Thunder2333

Will Zhang wrote:

Thunder2333 wrote:

Not working on osx 10.9.3? could you tell me more?
Thx for the reply. The app will not running on osx 10.9.3. It crash whenever i open it up(with some report code). If you want the report code i can send you a copy, (maybe later cos i'm not with my mac right now. :/
Topic Starter
Will Zhang

Thunder2333 wrote:

Thx for the reply. The app will not running on osx 10.9.3. It crash whenever i open it up(with some report code). If you want the report code i can send you a copy, (maybe later cos i'm not with my mac right now. :/
try this: http://osu.Willian-Zhang.com/download/Osu%20for%20Mac!%20B26%2010.9.3.zip
If the crash continue to happen, please send me the crash detail.
Thunder2333
Okay, I'll try this version.
Thunder2333

Will Zhang wrote:

Thunder2333 wrote:

try this: http://osu.Willian-Zhang.com/download/Osu%20for%20Mac!%20B26%2010.9.3.zip
If the crash continue to happen, please send me the crash detail.
:D I don't know what modification you made to the B26 (last time it won't run correctly), but finally I can open it without crash, thx!!
There still have some issues. When I click from the Play bar back to the very first view, there's a big chance that two options get covered, additionally the music player mode seems not work properly, the only thing i see is a black window. :/

show more