forum

Larger formats compatibility

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +20
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
I know Somebody asked this, and I know it is quite, maybe, unacceptable. But a larger compatibility with now most used containers/audio codec should be better, anyway.
I'm asking to make the following containers compatible:
  1. F4V, quite much used in youtube and already compatible since it's "basically" an upgraded FLV
  2. MKV, if you watch animes, you'll be said "exit from under the stones" if your pc can't play this. As it's one of the most used Containers for animes
  3. MP4, most used in online streaming and basically something similar to F4V. Used in youtube.
  4. Webm, contaner supported by Google, and this shall say all. Though It's less used than MKV,MP4 and F4V. It's proposed to be one of the HTML5 principal video formats.
  5. Ogg, free open-source container. It is the most supported by browser
Audio formats(only a few...)
  1. .aac and .m4a, almost anything use it, It's the one used on youtube videos now
  2. .mpc It is one of the best audio codec that work on a low bitrate
theowest
oh no, i won't be able to use the song for my ipod. shit
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
I don't even have an ipod.
It's not a "I won't be able to download it" rant
In fact, in 90s, mp3 wasn't accepted as producer houses said " Oh no I won't be able to pirate it ". So it's no good argument.
We want to remain to that old no-one-know-who-created it avi?
mkv is the container with better capabilities and capacities.
And if one use osu! only for song downloading, is an idiot.
Makar
I don't see why this shouldnt be implemented, though its probably a lot of work that can be used on implementing other and more important features.

Support from me~
theowest
mp3 is the preferable audio format because almost everyone use it. mp3cut is a place where many of us cut our mp3s. It supports many formats, but not all. Having more than one audio format just makes things more complicated, especially if the modder can't work with it.

but anyway. Why make it more complicated? Isn't mp3 the most commonly used format? I thought all songs were in that format. I do support more video formats, but music formats? No.
There should always be a mp3 version of the song you're trying to map.

It's all up to peppy. Is he willing to code more, just to satisfy the few people who use weird and uncommon formats?
MillhioreF
osu! supports .ogg already, and if you rename the .mp4 file to .avi then osu! will accept it and it'll work (don't ask)
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
yeah it'll work by confusing the game, and that can make some bugs.
Plus, those format are actually really used.

As now the arguments:
mp3 is the most used format
Invalid argument. We should mind getting the best quality with the lowest size or the lowest performance lose. So people shall be able to choose.

ogg is arleady present
I referred it as "Container", the ogg you say is "Ogg Vorbis", an audio codec that use the same extension. Though the ogg audio stream is usually Ogg Vorbis

mp4 can be renamed to avi
And then the pc could get confused, originating some bugs. So, cheating is a reason to refuse a request? As you know, this is just like cheating.
Ah, it can't be done many times too.
Archangel Tirael
I support only idea about .MP4 format. Other filetypes support may cause heavyly increase sizes of beatmaps and may cause game lags. I think that also need add .flv support.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
all those formats are quite good in compression and dimension.
Plus by sometime they produce processors with H264 Integrated Codec, so mkv, mp4, f4v will probably not cause lag.
HE-AAC compression and quality are quite good (aac) and better than mp3.

No one of those filetypes is heavy. As it depend on the codec.
Kagamin3-chan
osu! really needs H264 supported formats (at least mp4 :P). I hate this little boxes in videos like in this map.
+ you'll get a better compression with no quality loss

Support+
blissfulyoshi
You know .avi does support H.264. AVI is just a container. How you encode it is up to you.

On the idea of formats though, I support including more formats because it makes things a lot more convenient for players. On the other hand though, I heard many talks about .mkv being a nightmare to work with on the code side. Oh well, that will just affect how hard it is to implement it.
TheVileOne
mp4 is proprietary. peppy will need to pay royalties to support mp4s. It's not going to happen.
Flanster
mp4 is ass.
ziin

G4R4Su wrote:

osu! really needs H264 supported formats (at least mp4 :P). I hate this little boxes in videos like in this map.

Support+
All of my hate. damn these necromancers.

TheVileOne wrote:

mp4 is proprietary. peppy will need to pay royalties to support mp4s. It's not going to happen.
osu already supports mp4 since it uses libavcodec.
lolcubes

G4R4Su wrote:

Support+
You do know that .avi can be H264 as well? (and it also works)

The extension is just a container ...
TheVileOne

ziin wrote:

G4R4Su wrote:

Support+
All of my hate. damn these necromancers.

TheVileOne wrote:

osu already supports mp4 since it uses libavcodec.
Not officially.
jemhuntr
FLAC >:3 let's go one step towards HD beatmaps
blissfulyoshi
Well flac will probably never be supported with current rules only allowing up to 192kbps. Lossless =/= 192kbps (in most cases.....)
theowest

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

FLAC >:3 let's go one step towards HD beatmaps
nope.
osu! won't allow high quality mp3 distribution.
Kagamin3-chan
flac with 192kbps ... that would be a nice quality nope
... if it is possible to lower flac bitrate ... i wasn't able to do it lOl
JapanYoshiTheGamer
FLV, m4a and ogg.