forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
miffman
i know this is in odd question , but is there a hex or a code for color rotation? like it moves through every color. i think that would be pretty cool for a score bar
ziin
Edit: ah fuck I'm not in the Storyboard section. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post, has nothing to do with skinning. To make some element flash all colors, you need to have a frame for each color. you want to flash. If you want to do all 24 bit colors, it's going to be a huge amount. so if you just flash those 6 colors, and maybe throw in 255,127,0 (orange) in between the red and yellow section and continue that trend you'll have 12 colors.

yeah. sort of.
Barring black and white:

these are the colors you're looking at: RGB and CYM
if you put them in that order you'll get something like what you want I think.

_c,blah,blah,blah,255,0,0,255,255,0
_c,blah,blah,blah,255,255,0,0,255,0
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,255,0,0,255,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,255,255,0,0,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,0,0,255,255,0,255
_c,blah,blah,blah,255,0,255,255,0,0

You could do every color if you had enough time, but every color looks like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... colors.png
and it wouldn't be "fluid".
K a Y e
Where do you find that Skin.ini thing??

And by the way, What is Skin.ini? :?
Topic Starter
MLGnom

MLGnom wrote:

Skin.ini is a necessary file of any skin. It contains several major options of the skin.
You can find this file in any existing skin/template skin. (it should have notepad icon)
N A L U
What version do creators start with originally? Or do they make their own numbers? (like v0.6, v0.7 etc...)
Augh :o I'm stuck with this right now.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Let's leave that to the skinner because it's only information for players if there were any updates ("oh, I have v0.5 of skin xxx but there is already v0.73) , but commonly v1.0 should be version of skin where skinner made everything that he/she wanted to do (after all it should have some parts skinned, for example - all gameplay parts).
N A L U

MLGnom wrote:

Let's leave that to the skinner because it's only information for players if there were any updates ("oh, I have v0.5 of skin xxx but there is already v0.73) , but commonly v1.0 should be version of skin where skinner made everything that he/she wanted to do (after all it should have some parts skinned, for example - all gameplay parts).
Thanks.
Alternate_old
What the... Well. this will be a awesome skin. :roll: :roll: OMG GOT A IDEA :idea: 8-)
Alternate_old
Nevermind...
Winshley

MLGnom wrote:

b) Unnecessary parts :
  1. default-dot, default-comma, default-x.png, default-percent - are no longer used
Just to point something minor. Actually, this is still used if you change the following inside your skin.ini:
[Fonts]
ScorePrefix: default
(Use the above code on default/template skin and you'll see how the default-dot, default-comma, default-x.png, and default-percent looked like in-game) :P

Though if skinners wanted to use the same PNGs on both score numbers and hit circle numbers, they would rather make duplicate PNGs for both score numbers and hit circle numbers or do the following instead :P:
[Fonts]
HitCirclePrefix: score

So yeah, it's still under "Unnecessary parts" indeed, only with wrong reason.
Napokue_DELETED
Hey,

Great guide you made i going make a skin soon!

Thanks,

Shenji
NoClue
I know I saw this somewhere on the forums, what is the max resolution size for backgrounds? I was making one for myself and 1920x1080 background didn't show in game.
Topic Starter
MLGnom
When you are adding pictures as background, they need to be in "4:3" resolution. Please, use 1024x768 resolution for best effect.
(higher resolutions are cropped by osu! D:)
NoClue
Gah! Lack of widescreen support fail ;-;. Oh well.
Tohob
where could i find information regarding the .wav and .mp3 files in a skin? i tried switching out a large number of them and they simply.. don't work. my best guess would be that the files have to be the same length but.. i don't really know anything about it.
ziin
go one by one. Make sure the custom sounds are not corrupted.
LawlietMatryoshka524
Thank you for the tutorial~ But I do have one question... How do I edit it? XD I'm an idiot, so I'm sorry if it was in the tutorial and I didn't understand.
Ok, so I download the template, and click on it, and it just opens it into osu! instead of like... GIMP or something... How do I open it to where I an edit it? ;D Thank you for reading this comment 0.0"
Topic Starter
MLGnom

LawlietMatryoshka524 wrote:

Thank you for the tutorial~ But I do have one question... How do I edit it? XD I'm an idiot, so I'm sorry if it was in the tutorial and I didn't understand.
Ok, so I download the template, and click on it, and it just opens it into osu! instead of like... GIMP or something... How do I open it to where I an edit it? ;D Thank you for reading this comment 0.0"
You can find "Skins" folder in your osu! installation folder. Then just open template skin folder and edit any elements you can find there. :3
Dragon From Dark
wow!!! thx
Dragon From Dark
by the way, can i just make skin by my self and name it as in the game like comboburst0, comboburst1, and so on???
Neclory
yes.
ShouSaku
how to make "skin.ini"
Topic Starter
MLGnom

-ajus- wrote:

how to make "skin.ini"
You can find it in template skin or any other skin that you can download. Just copy it and edit.
ShouSaku

MLGnom wrote:

-ajus- wrote:

how to make "skin.ini"
You can find it in template skin or any other skin that you can download. Just copy it and edit.

thx :)
AngeloRev
bagaimana cara ngeditnya?
ychao
Just open the skin.ini with notepad and change the necessary elements.
Ryu_old
How can I do dat? Help meeeeeeee :?

justin-chan
nice tutorial but i have a problem when i make the hitcircles and others there is this white squared portion and it is not transparent compared to the other skins what should i do?
justin-chan
and where can i find skin.ini?
ziin
download it from other skins, or start with the template skin (download it through osume, it will be in your skin folder).
justin-chan
i dont understand a thing, honestly i wish there was a video tutorial! XD
Accelerator-sama
Woah.. nice tutorial!
I prefer become a skinner than a mapper..
Thank you! :) :) :)
-SaMuRaI-HeArT-
How to put Comboburst on beatmaps? can u tell me pls
exlicht
this helped me a lot, thanks X3
Topic Starter
MLGnom
Hey there. I did a small search today and found 5 interesting things that you can add to skin.ini.
Add these in [General] part.

CustomComboBurstSounds: 50,100,200,300,400,500 etc. Combo sound will be played at specified combo number.

SpinnerFadePlayfield: 0 If this is set to 0, background of spinners will be transparent (you will be able to see map playfield/video)

CursorTrailRotate:0
If this is set to 1, the cursor trail rotation will rotates with the cursor.

AnimationFramerate:"Number of frames" Defaults to playing all available frames per second. Applies to all animated sprites except slider ball. The lower amount of them, the slower animation will be.

SpinnerNoBlink:1 Defaults to 0. When set to 1, it will stop spinners from "blinking" the top of the metre as they rise/peak.

(Funny thing these options were available already for around 3 years :/)

In nearest future I will add a little about Taiko/CtB skinning.
exlicht

MLGnom wrote:

Hey there. I did a small search today and found 5 interesting things that you can add to skin.ini.
Add these in [General] part.

CustomComboBurstSounds: 50,100,200,300,400,500 etc. Combo sound will be played at specified combo number.

SpinnerFadePlayfield: 0 If this is set to 0, background of spinners will be transparent (you will be able to see map playfield/video)

CursorTrailRotate:0
If this is set to 1, the cursor trail rotation will rotates with the cursor.

AnimationFramerate:"Number of frames" Defaults to playing all available frames per second. Applies to all animated sprites except slider ball. The lower amount of them, the slower animation will be.

SpinnerNoBlink:1 Defaults to 0. When set to 1, it will stop spinners from "blinking" the top of the metre as they rise/peak.

(Funny thing these options were available already for around 3 years :/)

In nearest future I will add a little about Taiko/CtB skinning.
hmm, gotta try it
and i will looking for Taiko and CtB skinning :D
are you gonna making byakuren skin? O.O
emergist

MLGnom wrote:

Blue lines show the anchor position for scrorebar-colour and if you want to fit them in the same place, try moving the scorebar-background. Also you don’t need to keep length of the lifebar, you can make it shorter or longer (for widescreen).
A bug to fix: "scrorebar-colour".
OsuMe65

justin-chan wrote:

i dont understand a thing, honestly i wish there was a video tutorial! XD
nice idea...

lemme try to make one based on this (MLGnom's) forum...

:)
T-Scarlet
when hitting notes, the hitclrcles go larger and fade out.. but how can i change that to just rings with empty space at center(dont know how that will be explained) instead of hitclrcle number and hitclrcle.png popping up together? sorry if my explanation is bad...

edit: .... i just read the post 3more times and noticed it was lighting.png srry
emergist

MLGnom wrote:

d) CursorRotate – controls whether the cursor rotates or not.
e) CursorExpand – when turned on, the cursor expands when clicking.
f) CursorCentre – while turned off the action point of the cursor will be in the top left corner of the image, rather than the center.
g) SliderBallFrames – amount of sliderball frames(pictures) used in the skin.
h) HitCircleOverlayAboveNumer – if turned on, makes numbers appear under the “hitcircleoverlay”
Are these options seleted between 0 and 1? If they are, you can add 0/1 to the thread.
show more