forum

A new and fair based rating system for beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +68
Topic Starter
GladiOol
I've been digging through some old topics/posts and a lot of people would like the current rating system to change.
Also: this is not a duplicate of Ekaru's or Dark's topic. (inb4 somebody posts it.) This is a request for a 2 way option, not a 5 way like they had.

3 random quotes I found doing some searching;

strager wrote:

I'm not sure if the rating spread should be removed as much as the rating system redesigned, though. A "thumbs up"/"thumbs down" kinda thing would be cool.

theowest wrote:

I want this so badly. Like and dislikes like youtube is perfect. If you're a pro youtube user, you know that likes and dislikes are better than any other 1-5/10 rating system.

CheeseWarlock wrote:

I'd be fine with a "like/dislike", and that would pave the way for weighted voting:

voter.relativeweight = 1 - ( abs(voter.likedmaps - voter.dislikedmaps) / voter.numvotes)

The voter's vote weight, defaulting to 1, is decreased by the difference between their + votes and - votes with respect to their total number of votes.

100 liked, 0 disliked: no weight.
4 liked, 2 disliked: 67% weight.
1 liked, 1 disliked: 100% weight.

Edit: maybe even have a slight weighting advantage to people who vote more often?

voter.relativeweight = 1 - ( abs(voter.likedmaps - voter.dislikedmaps) / voter.numvotes) + 0.15 * log(voter.numvotes)

The 1-10 voting system just doesn't work; 1 voters/10 voters pretty much ruin the whole system and don't give an accurate rating.

Previous topics all had like a 5 option rating system, which is too many to be honest.
5 options will barely improve the troll voting/10 voting. Maybe slightly, but not enough.
What we should do is that we should simplify it to only 2 options, like on sites as youtube or rottentomatoes.

After a beatmap has been played, we should be able to just 'Like' or 'Not Like' a beatmap. (Thumbs up/thumbs down, etc.)

A simple option which will make the rating system way more accurate. Why?
  1. Troll voters can only 'Not Like' a map now instead of tremendously decreasing the rating on a map.
  2. 10 voters who vote 10 on every single beatmap get the same effect as troll voters. Their vote won't tremendously increase the beatmaps rating. And believe me, osu! has ALOT of 10 voters. They are more of a burden than troll voters at the moment.
Like this maps will get a more accurate rating, as we can see how many % of the people have liked or disliked a map.
And like I said before, major sites like youtube and rottentomatoes already use this option, and it works great.
If it would also be possible to make your votes weighted, that be even more sexy~ (I know imdb used weighted votes too)

It's a rating system which will bring more justice to mappers, so it would be very sexy if this would be implented~
Shiirn
I actually agree with this well-thought-out post.

I agree with weighting a voting system to people who vote more, especially to people who vote more "realistically". However, such an algorithm would be hard to create seeing as people will naturally play maps from genres they like, which will influence their opinion just as much as the map itself.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but a weighted voting system like newgrounds would be fairly effective...
Ekaru
Lots of support for this from me, of course! This is pretty much exactly what I want. ^_^

EDIT: Really, the average rating was slightly over 8 when I joined. Now it's just so ridiculous that we might as well switch; we already have a Like/Dislike spread shown on the beatmap info page, anyways.
Sakura
I support this as well, not sure if it would actually help tho, but im at the "why not?" phase
Wishy
Agree, +1 -1 votes ftw.
lkjl23
Luna
Yes, it's pretty meaningless that basically all maps nowadays have a ~9.1 - 9.5 rating with exceptions for popular/unpopular songs.
Weighted voting would be SO awesome :D
Mismagius
I didn't know people still cared about rating.

Either way, then we would say bye-bye to mapper rankings? Not that it makes much sense anyway.
Topic Starter
GladiOol

Blue Dragon wrote:

I didn't know people still cared about rating.

Either way, then we would say bye-bye to mapper rankings? Not that it makes much sense anyway.
Hmm? No~
Just make it Like / Not Like based on %, just like the beatmaps.

Person with most % of likes is on top I guess. (And there should be a minimum amount of likes/dislikes before you should be able to enter the mappers ranking then imo, to make sure you won't get on with just a few votes... I guess ^^)
R3laX3R
Good Idea :D
ziin
truncate current votes.
1-5 = not like
6-10 = like

I'm not a fan of any voting system because there is no way to accurately describe how much I like the map.

Bad maps ranked with overmapping errors or bad skins get a 1 from me because they are not fun to play. Now you're saying I can only "not like" a map?

Perfect maps are few and far between for me.

Well I guess I can handle this, as I'd only rate good or bad maps and abstain from the 95% of "meh" maps on osu.
xsrsbsns
Like.
Metro
Support.
Topic Starter
GladiOol
Bump. Need more opinions, suggestions etc.
0_o
Yes please.

While we're at it, each difficulty should have its own separate rating as well.
mm201
Like/dislike systems need a huge number of votes to reduce the error to an acceptable level. That's why it works for Youtube.
Mismagius
Why don't we remove the rating system for good?...

No, really. Most people don't care about it, and the people who DO care, usually get hurt by the sense of voting of the people who like anime songs and hate #modhelp mappers.
Metro

mm201 wrote:

Like/dislike systems need a huge number of votes to reduce the error to an acceptable level. That's why it works for Youtube.
Then make osu force players to give their rating after a song. One click in like or dislike isn't a hassle.

If not, I have a different system in mind.

There could be a number of judges for new beatmaps. This groups would include BAT's, MAT's and regular players. They would vote on different aspects of a beatmap such as flow, creativity, synergy with the song, etc. (someone with more mapping experience could think of these aspects).

This system could go together with the old system so there's the user rating and the judges (or editors, whatever) rating.
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

From my experience, it evens out once you get to about 300 votes, and most maps nowadays definitely reach that point in a quick amount of time.
theowest
Proof that I'm a pro youtuber:

show more