forum

Tick Rate 1.5

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Larto
We all know that Tick Rate 3 sounds terribly busy on some 1/3 songs. Sometimes more than wanted. Halfing/Thirding the BPM is not an option as that breaks more than it fixes. So I suggest the halved Tick Rate 3, Tick Rate 1.5. It does sound okay on some songs where Tick Rate 3 would sound too fast. I for example found it tasteful on Marina & The Diamonds - Mowgli's Road, Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl (assuming that it'd even be mapped in the right tick), Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape. There certainly are more examples where it could work. Thoughts?
SapphireGhost
Yes Larto I love you they should do this
Nyquill
This.

+ Support
ziin
No thanks. Tick rate 1.5 would sound terrible in everything, unless the BPM is wrong. You can simulate tick rate 1.5 by multiplying BPM by 1.5 and slowing slider speed down by 0.667x on a tick rate 1 song. (By the way the only thing this breaks is kiai and the main screen).

Here's how sliders look on 1.5 tick rate if they are longer than 1/1 at the correct BPM.
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/137134
Versus how it is on tick rate 3:
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/137137
Note how tick rate 1.5 skips over the downbeat. And playing it sounds terribly offbeat, because, you know, it IS.

This idea would ONLY work if you never used sliders longer than 1/1.

Unless you mean a swing tick rate 2. In which case it wouldn't look very good. If tick rate 3 is too busy then you have to do tick rate 1, period. Slider ticks wouldn't do well if they weren't spaced out evenly.
peppy
1.5 is incorrect. If 3 sounds busy, you should be using 1. You can't just divide 3 musically, because as ziin said it just won't work. Slider ticks is a whole different issue. (I've added nothing to the previous answer, just supporting it)
Jarby

ziin wrote:

This idea would ONLY work if you never used sliders longer than 1/1.
Yes, and that's okay! So I'm okay with this.
lepidopodus
So, tick rate 1.5 means slider tick with interval of 2/3? Uh, I don't think that would work, as ziin said.
mm201
Are you sure the BPM shouldn't be 2/3rds its current value, and you should be using tick 2?
Are you sure the BPM shouldn't be half its current value, and you should be using tick 3?

If so, then go ahead and .osu hax it, but I figure these situations should be extraordinarily rare. It's more or less the same deal as with time signatures above 7.
It doesn't make musical sense for ticks to not be divisible by whole beats.