forum

What Happens If We Remove The BG..?

posted
Total Posts
show more
darkmiz
White Wolf, Cookiezi, Silvia, KeigoClear, all the pros remove the bg. Why not ask them what happens? :lol:
Lance

kriers wrote:

... the BG is removed.

/thread
Why are there 7 pages?
Winshley
I just wished that people would move on. Things could change anytime anyway. =/
Zare

Lance wrote:

kriers wrote:

... the BG is removed.

/thread
Why are there 7 pages?
We're in Gameplay and Rankings. It's always like that. Someone asks a simple question, someone answers, both leave, and suddenly there is a huge flame war.
Purple
I seem to recall peppy saying that you won't get punished for deleting backgrounds. When osz2 comes out, you will have to redownload them (I'm not sure if this is done automatically)

Regarding the other shitstorm, well... peppy already made it clear that he wont change his mind no matter how much you yell at him. You are right in saying that he shouldn't let his "artistic visions" get in the way of what is actually important (gameplay, competition, content) but remember, you aren't paying anything for this game and donations are just that: donations. You shouldn't expect anything in return.

You should really just accept the funspoiler settings; 90% isn't really that big of a deal. Really just chill out and give it a try. The "play at least once" rule can only be bothersome in a few cases, such as heavily-skinned and SB'd marathons or AR9 maps that you want to play on DT. And enabling the settings for spectators should be easily done with a feature request...
JappyBabes
@People who say there's no noticeable difference between 90 and 100%.
Wishy
And even if we suppose it isn't really noticeable at all, then change maximum dim to 100% instead of 90%, since the difference is that small and you don't really see the BG.
Purple
I meant as in gameplay-wise it shouldn't limit you that much. Granted a transparent skin might make it more annoying.

Edit: Try changing your default skin combo colors to some much brighter colors (ex. all white if you want) then click the disable skin option in the fun spoiler settings. That is generally more helpful IMO than having an all-black BG, specially on AR10.
JappyBabes
But the point is it still does to an extent. A transparent skin actually assists reading especially with hidden or else it would come down to pure memorization of stacked notes and is not a deterrent from other mods (imo > it's a skin). And I don't use disable skin for no particular reason.
darkmiz

Wishy22 wrote:

And even if we suppose it isn't really noticeable at all, then change maximum dim to 100% instead of 90%, since the difference is that small and you don't really see the BG.
agree with this
CXu
It means, you see the bg with 90% dim, but it won't affect your play to such a high degree you guys claim it does. I honestly don't see a problem with the 90% dim. But hey, opinions, opinions.
winber1
I honestly feel I'm missing something important from the map if it's just a black bg. I honestly hate using them, idk why.

Wishy22 wrote:

Same argument can be used for 90% dim. If 100% and 90% are the same, why does it matter that we include 100%? I also really like the fact I can still see the background, even minimally. I get the feeling I didn't really mess up the map at all.

Now, I don't mind all that much if dim can be 100%, just saying some opinions I had. But I am agreeing that 100% dim is not needed, and I really like having the background still there.

However, I do find it extremely annoying when watching replays of me or another player using the annoying skin that the map has. That I would like changed.
Drafura

winber1 wrote:

Same argument can be used for 90% dim. If 100% and 90% are the same, why does it matter that we include 100%?
It matter for mappers, I think 90% is a VERY good compromise. But hey some people allways wants more. The only bad thing to this system is that we can't fade to grey/white scale (for dark combo colors). I think this could be important to let other players experience the same gameplay as other player yet ranked, but I know this could go for a full reset ranking so I shut my "hands" here.

Oh and I heard about an autodl for map that we deleted some elements. Is this going to happend soon ? I have some SB/BG deleted from a long time now and i'm too lazy to find wich map I've modified :s
Wishy
People saying mappers care --> Not many mappers really care actually.
Alpha Kitten
i care because no bg = no rank map..
winber1

Alpha Kitten wrote:

but no one cares about you :(
Alpha Kitten

winber1 wrote:

Alpha Kitten wrote:

but no one cares about you :(
Wishy
I mean, how many mappers actually get upset because users delete map elements?
Kanye West
I think the majority of mappers care more that you enjoy the actual map and music rather than the BG. There are some exceptions, like maps with elaborate storyboards (Disturbia, Fake It)
kriers

Wishy22 wrote:

My impression is there are quite many, especially among the western mappers.
omegaflo
Are you guys afraid that much of the osz2 to cry like that ?

i've seen :

-OMG I CAN'T REMOVE SB/SKIN

A toggle was set, and it's understandable, some skin are actually really unplayable... and storyboards are... well they are what they are...
After we've got

-OMG I CAN'T REMOVE BG

And now, a dimming is added..., it was too much, and you guys are getting even more... AND WANT MORE again !

When i was trying to full SS the ouendan games, The ingame SB were Really annoying..., but i didn't crack'd up my rom or my cartridge to remove anything, i have just tried harder... and it was over only one month later..., it's the same here...

You guys should try to play without any "tricks"... i think you will improve in MANY ways and not only in the game itself
Purple

Drafura wrote:

The only bad thing to this system is that we can't fade to grey/white scale (for dark combo colors).
You can disable map-specific combo colors by disabling skin elements in the Fun Spoiler settings. It will then use the combo colors in your skin.cfg file in your skin folder. This is what I use

[Colours]
Combo1: 255,255,255
Combo2: 154,252,152
Combo3: 175,235,254
Combo4: 254,188,241

Thats white, light green, light pink, and light blue

You guys should try to play without any "tricks"... i think you will improve in MANY ways and not only in the game itself
Har har har. Burn. Its true :P specially the transparent skins, you shouldn't take those for granted. And you can play hidden without them.
Saten
I personally find "Removing BG's" silly, and we have dimming now which is good actually.
But sometimes there are extreme challenging maps and 50% dimming wont really help at all. Which leaves the map undefeated and not passed so you can't dim 90%. (I'm mostly refering to AR 10 maps) :P
JappyBabes

omegaflo wrote:

?

Also, we don't want more. osz2 was explained as a non-editable beatmap. We just want full customization as we do currently and before fun spoiler.
Triskelion91
I used to delete backgrounds/videos/sbs back then because my internet was on a tight bandwidth (I usually download the no video versions).

You can make fun of me all you want (lol pictures are 200 kb), but I don't have the luxury of paying for better internet than what I already have. :(
Azure_Kite
Deleting backgrounds has absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection, since you've kinda already downloaded it.
ann_old
It's just never enough, hehe. :roll:
I can't wait to see relax mod getting ranked, or even auto mod.
JappyBabes
They were ranked before someone complained about being able to rank on maps like tag4 and chipscape.
Triskelion91

Azure_Kite wrote:

Deleting backgrounds has absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection, since you've kinda already downloaded it.
Yeah, that was my bad since I posted right before I went to sleep (wasn't typing everything I wanted to).

The part of me deleting was because my hard drive was filling up. All the 200 kb pictures add up. :cry:
silmarilen

Triskelion91 wrote:

Azure_Kite wrote:

Yeah, that was my bad since I posted right before I went to sleep (wasn't typing everything I wanted to).

The part of me deleting was because my hard drive was filling up. All the 200 kb pictures add up. :cry:
thats why i deleted all the videos and always dl without video
Cyclohexane

Wishy22 wrote:

Backgrounds I don't care, and I don't think people should.

Now, for skins/SBs, if the mapper took the time and effort to make them, I'd understand if they were upset (especially since you have the option to disable them.)

also to people saying they're deleting backgrounds for the sake of hard drive space, now that's just an ass-wiped backwards-bitch-slapped stupid-ass reason. Just delete the maps you don't play. I doubt you play all >10000 maps every day, so come on now. Hell, if space is that much of a problem, reencode the mp3s in worse quality so that they take less space.

(inb4 but that ruins the experience - yeah, cause deleting stuff doesn't already.)
Wishy
I can't believe people bitch about HDD space, dude I got like 20000 beatmaps, don't even delete videos/SB/BGs (just move them to another folder usually) and still my game isn't even over 50gb...
ann_old
I duplicated my whole osu! folder to have 4 favorites and it takes only like 120gb.
VoidnOwO
Removing the BG makes the song unranked? Fuck that, then I'm playing unranked songs.

Do you people have any idea how pervert we adults look if we play songs like these in "public" without removing the BG? I can tell that many of you probably like that stuff, seeing as 99% of players have some sort of a anime character as their user profile picure, but this is going too far.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/23916
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33761
ann_old
thelewa
Some maps really do have BGs that I'd rather not play with, there have been some events where my mother gets into my room while I play a ranked map with an inappropriate BG.

Not the best kind of feeling.
Aqo
Here's something I'm very curious about ever since this thread started:

Is there anybody in this thread who believes they can perform better on a map with 100% dim over 90% dim? If yes, can you please point out a specific map and give your accuracy/miss difference from different plays on it with complete black VS 90% dim?

After experimenting a lot with HRHD on various CS lately I've found that something like the sun reflecting on your monitor from the window can cause issues in sightreading, which would be solved by giving the BG a solid color like black; but if your room is either well lit or completely dark it's possible to read AR10+HD no problem on maps with a video background (tested up to 220bpm CS7 and 280BPM CS5, with qualification for "reading" = "noticed every single object as soon as it appeared, fast enough to defer the timing difference from the previous object i.e. 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, etc"). Can somebody please also do some research on this? Would especially be nice if people who can read AR10+DT like Hanyuu (call it AR11 or AR12, whatever) would test it on maps with videos.

Basically, go play a random map at least 4 times. Make sure you have HD on, because without HD there really shouldn't be a problem to read anything regardless of the BG unless your skin is terrible or your room is very improperly lit (test different room lighting settings too. Something like kriers' anti-sun pillow can do wonders for your reading). One play normal, one play dimmed, one play normal, one play black. Repeat this process more if you're the kind of person who improves a lot on a map with retries to see if that had a side effect. Try with different maps, maps you usually do well on, maps you do bad on, maps suitable for your level, etc. Try to always play your best and aim for SS in the play.

Whether you can tell the difference between 90% and 100% or not is one thing, but does it really affect the quality of your reading in a way that affects your play level? Please test this, guys, instead of throwing baseless assumptions into the air. Please include the maps you used for testing here if you're going to make any statement (like "played map X 8 times experimenting with different dim settings, and found that I consistently get 5% higher accuracy on it with a black BG over 90% dim", etc, so that other people would be able to experiment too). Also if possible, go into Edit and try very low CS for those maps, as smaller CS can be harder to read with HD (however don't bother giving input for your accuracy on CS6 or CS7 if you can't even click those circles consistently due to aim issues since obviously that's not dim related).

---

also, about that ^ Reizoko really needs a different BG... no more of that awkward moment when your little sister goes into your room while you play osu, looks at the screen with a blank face, then just leaves saying nothing ;;
VoidnOwO

thelewa wrote:

Some maps really do have BGs that I'd rather not play with, there have been some events where my mother gets into my room while I play a ranked map with an inappropriate BG.

Not the best kind of feeling.
Yeah... Mother, roommate, someone who's sitting next to you in a plane.... (Taiko, maybe?)

This is exactly the type of game that everyone wants to try at least once, when they see that you're playing it.
It's (f*cking) fun that we can't let, friends for example, browse the song list freely, instead of picking a song with a suitable BG for them.

Also, thanks to all of you wonderful mappers who took the time to add tags to the BG images. This is exactly what I wanted....

Aqo

BRBP wrote:

It's (f*cking) fun that we can't let, friends for example, browse the song list freely, instead of picking a song with a suitable BG for them.
Keep separate songs folders : )
this really sucks for spectating tho haha..
JappyBabes

Aqo wrote:

Is there anybody in this thread who believes they can perform better on a map with 100% dim over 90% dim? If yes, can you please point out a specific map and give your accuracy/miss difference from different plays on it with complete black VS 90% dim?
yeah ever ar9 +dt map. Also saying there is no difference between 90% and 100% so stop complaining about your 90% dim isn't in actual argument, if there's no difference then what's the harm in 100%?
show more