forum

Fall 2012 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
It is that time of year again. Time for the Fall 2012 season of anime.To make people's opinions easier to read, I am going to maintain a master chart of each person's point of view up in the op, so if you can, please mark your opinion of a series as Good, Bad, or Neutral/Wait (as in wait to see what happens later before judging)

(Format: Name of anime: (score summary), people in favor of the series | people neutral about the series | people against the series)

Btooom!: (3|3|0), Mianki, Seph. UnderminE | ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Lance |
Busou Shinki: (0|4|2), | adam2046, ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Seph | Mianki, UnderminE
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: (6|3|2), Kamixdesu, Lance, Mianki, NoHitter, Weez, Yuugoh | ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Seph | adam2046, UnderminE
Code: Breaker: (1|1|2), Seph | Mianki | ampzz, UnderminE
Girls und Panzer: (0|0|4), | , | ampzz, Magicphoenix, Mianki, UnderminE
Hayate the Combat Butler! Can't Take My Eyes Off You: (3|2|1), ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Lance |UnderminE, Weez| Mianki
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb: (1|0|2), Lance | | ampzz, UnderminE
Ixıon Saga DT: (2|0|1), adam2046, Mianki | | UnderminE
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: (8|0|1), adam2046, ampzz, coolnewdeals, Mianki, Mukku, thelewa, Valentiino, Zertap | | Magicphoenix
Jormungand: Perfect Order: (3|0|0), ampzz, Seph, UnderminE | | ,
K: (4|2|0), adam2046, Mianki, Seph, UnderminE | blissfulyoshi, Lance |
Kamisama Hajimemashita: (0|1|3), | Mianki | ampzz, blissfulyoshi, UnderminE
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: (4|0|0), adam2046, ampzz, Magicphoenix, Mianki | |
Little Busters!: (6|4|0), Lance, Magicphoenix, Mianki, NoHitter, UnderminE, vizzy |ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Mukku, Seph|
Magi: (4|1|0), Mianki, Mukku, UnderminE, vizzy | ampzz | ,
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!: (2|2|2), ampzz, blissfulyoshi | Magicphoenix, Mianki| adam2046, UnderminE
Shinsekai yori: (3|2|2), Mianki, UnderminE, Yuugoh | ampzz, Weez | blissfulyoshi, Lance
Sukitte Ii na yo: (2|2|0), Mianki, Seph | ampzz, Magicphoenix, UnderminE|
To LOVE-Ru Darkness: (1|0|3), ampzz || blissfulyoshi, Mianki, UnderminE
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: (8|3|1), adam2046, blissfulyoshi, NoHitter, Mianki, Magicphoenix, UnderminE, Seph, vizzy, Weez | Lance, Yuugoh, | ampzz
Zetsuen no Tempest: (4|1|0), ampzz, blissfulyoshi, Mianki, UnderminE | Lance|

All chat moderators are free to edit the chart.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Time to post my opinions

Shinsekai yori:

This was a weird show to start off the season with. The series starts out with a bunch of people dying while upbeat music is playing. Nothing is really explained about these people, but the show goes on. Afterward, the show goes on jumping to and from childhood flashbacks, sealing of a person's special powers, watching a school of students with supernatural powers, and talking about various urban legends. Needless to say these jumps are confusing with random information somewhat linking them together. These things are supposed to induce suspense into the viewers but with all the jumping and lack of information, I don't really feel attached to anything in the story. The only thing that dissipointed me is that at the end of the episode, something big happens, but they don't even show an image to build up the surprise leaving me to wonder why they executed it in that way. All I can say about this series is that there is too little information for me to say this series will be good or bad, so I will withhold a rating until at least episode 2. (Note: Not sure if it was just the quality of the raws or something else, but the pixelation and blurred edges in images really degraded the quality of my watching experience)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Brains Base + Generic Shoujo Characters = ??? Brains Base's show for the season is a show about a cold-hearted female lead with no friends and a free-spirit/socially awkward guy who hasn't interacted much with society, one of the somewhat typical shoujo formulas and definitely not a genre I would associate with Brains Base. Regardless, the episode developed quickly and was quite humorous throughout, but you can't help feeling that the jokes created from the contrast between the make and female's actions will get boring fast. The only real complain I have is that there is a lack of animation with the large amount of pannning. With that said, I'll give the show a weak recommendation in trusting that Brains Base can keep the show amusing.
Giganscudo
Well heres the 2012 Fall chart for a easier response
Lance
Little Busters will be good. We just have to belieeeeeve.

Well after a few episodes:

Btooom!: I don't think this will be good, but I'll give it a chance.
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: Kyoani gonna kyoani. Love everything but the ED.
Hayate the Combat Butler! Can't Take My Eyes Off You: End of the World arc pls, love it.
K: I have no idea what is going on and the random skating while trying to kill someone put me off, but this could be okay.
Shinsekai yori: I can tell this show isn't my cup of tea.
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Meh shoujo.
Zetsuen no Tempest: Might turn out pretty good.
Hidamari Sketch×Honeycomb: HidaSketch. Enough said.
Yuugo
Just watched Shinsekai Yori. It looks really promising and I like the art style and the ending is amazing. I still need to watch more episodes though. for now I'm definetly in favor of the series.

EDIT: Just read blissfulyoshi's review and I have to agree on most parts, except that I enjoyed the sort of.. confusing nature this first episode has, it leads to many questions that will have to be answered in the rest of the anime. I for one, actually like that.

As for the grainy and blurry images, I believe that is part of the art style and I'm completely in favor of that.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

Yuugoh wrote:

Just watched Shinsekai Yori. It looks really promising and I like the art style and the ending is amazing. I still need to watch more episodes though. for now I'm definetly in favor of the series.

EDIT: Just read blissfulyoshi's review and I have to agree on most parts, except that I enjoyed the sort of.. confusing nature this first episode has, it leads to many questions that will have to be answered in the rest of the anime. I for one, actually like that.

As for the grainy and blurry images, I believe that is part of the art style and I'm completely in favor of that.
Updated the initial post.

Personally I felt the random scenes was a poor attempt at shotgunning topics to gain interest, but that is my opinion.

What I mean about the visuals though is that none of the character outlines were very crisp. Like sometimes there were random pixels of the colors of the character going beyond the lines of the shirt, and stuff like that. I am not talking about any of the purposeful blurring they did. I know some of it was done on pupose, but there is some parts where the blurring shouldn't belong.
420Guy
Can't wait for the Madoka Movie! <3
And what.. Little Busters?! That's pretty nice.
miss_master_old
Pacemaker
UGHHH I really hope J.C.Staff doesn't fuck up my Little Busters!, that would make me so mad..

Code:Breaker getting an anime at last? Sure, took 'em long. Looking forward to that.

That's about it for my personal anticipations actually. There's a lot of other really interesting looking anime this season, overall I hope it will be better than the last one. If Little Busters! turns out well, it will be, no matter what.
thelewa
Oh my god it's almost time for my JoJos

Pacemaker wrote:

Code:Breaker getting an anime at last? Sure, took 'em long. Looking forward to that.
I'm not sure if you're serious about it taking long

I hope you're not

Nevermind I'm retarded and I read Code:Breaker as Robotics;notes or whatever it was
adam2046
SPOILER
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: It's nice. The characters and their interactions are somewhat amusing, the story is kind of entertaining and the story kept moving right along instead of getting all stuck up on one thing.
There's not much I can say about it beyond that though, it's competent at what it's doing, and that's about it. A pleasant show that does nothing to offend me.

Overall: I have nothing interesting to say about this show other than "it's nice"...

Another 2: Electric Boogaloo: A bunch of things happened, but the show isn't really getting on with it...
"The girl is acting like a kid! Isn't that cute?" "The girl thinks stupid things are cool! Isn't that cute and hilarious?" "The main character's yelling! Isn't that funny?" and so on for the whole episode.
Yeah, this is a pretty boring first episode

Overall: Main character will never have a normal life, must take care of little girl who is incapable of taking care of herself, will yell about it constantly.

lol k: Now this is just hilarious. The show thinks it's so cool, and then it is for a few seconds before it immediately plunges into hilariously bad, this continues for the rest of the episode until the end where I could barely keep myself from laughing at everything. I'm almost certain I will continue to watch this show due to how funny it is (if this is intentional it sure as hell doesn't seem like it)
It's like they took all the things they think are cool and put them in a blender before knocking the blender over and spilling the contents on the ground, we've got terrible English, super powers, giant swords, skate video chase scenes, super cool guys with open shirts, pretty boys, little girls, suits, filters, more swords and a main character who seems like he should be in an anime where he teaches the main character how to be chill and enjoy life and stuff.

Overall: Please stop speaking English, or at least hire some people who can.

Busou Shinki: Ok, tiny slave dolls fight each other in VR space, also their weapons are actually pretty fucking dangerous.
Needs more fighting and less...everything else. I doubt that will ever happen, can't sell your creepy fighting dolls with just lasers after all.

Overall: I like robots.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: We're zooming along to the good stuff through all the goofy childhood drama, which is good. Mostly just animating all the important stuff and trying to fit the stone mask into as many scenes as possible. It's entertaining, but in that "haha old stuff" kind of way.
Good stuff starts next episode.

Overall: ドドドドドドドドドドドドドドドド

Say "Yet Another Shoujo Show": Girl who doesn't get along with people and pretty boy who gets along with everyone get together over the course of the series. Throw in various rivals, the main character learning to trust people and invent silly highschool drama and bam, you've got yourself a series.
I guess I'm weak to this crap because I enjoyed both the first season of Kimi ni Todoke and Kaichou wa Maid Sama, so I'll probably end up watching this, but seriously the plot's terrible.

Overall: What the hell is up with that guy's hair...

This season's incest show: It's bad!

Overall: Our character's personalities are so paper thin we don't even need to introduce them.

Ixion Saga Virginity Quest DX Edition: That was quite enjoyable, sure, the main character isn't great, and the other three aren't exactly bristling personality (Big guy who's strict, gay guy/crossdressing jokes/tiny girl who's bossy), but hopefully this is just the introduction and they actually have more than one joke.
The jokes aren't exactly high brow humour, but there was a lot of energy in this episode. I can appreciate that.
Here's hoping for more/better jokes in future episodes.

Overall: Fuck it Dude, let's go play Monster Hunter.

SAKURASOU'S PET GIRL!!!!!!!: I was pleasantly surprised to find that I do not hate this. It certainly made a good first impression.
This episode wasn't amazing or mind blowing, but I was thoroughly amused even nothing much happened this episode. The characters have quite a lot of energy, but the main character won't stop shouting about everything (Fix a sign, shout at people, go to school, shout at people, think about things, shout at yourself, see a naked girl, shout at it until the scary thing goes away). I would like to see where this one is going.

Overall: This dude has the best ringtones.

Robotics;Notes: It was dull and uninteresting. the most interesting part was the robot anime.
I have nothing else to say about it.

Overall: Is the main character playing first person melee Virtual On on a fucking touchscreen? I hate this universe.

Ichizon Z: I don't want to talk about it.

Overall: *sigh*

thelewa wrote:

Oh my god it's almost time for my JoJos

I really hope it isn't terrible...
thelewa
The ED for JoJo is going to be Roundabout by Yes

it has to be good
Magicphoenix
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Not too fond of Shoujos but let's see how it developes, chars are lovely but I already hate that blond guy and I know he's gonna be some love rival for the MC, w/e.
The episode felt like it was a 30-min OVA/mini-movie, so much happened but it was done so naturally/neat that I liked it quite a lot
Layne_old_1
~
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hayate the Combat Butler! Can't Take My Eyes Off You:
Classic Hayate humor + decent animation +.... 'nuff said, just watch. (On another note, I found out that Area 51 is one of the places which Apple maps has close ups of)

Edit: After this point, my mood was not so great, so I graded the next 2 shows harsher than I normally do

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!:
Kyoani! Animation wise, this show delivers. The animation has solid details, accounts for lighting, and includes some interesting effects. However, animation is not the only thing required to retain viewers for your show. If you can understand the show title, you will know this show is about the delusions of younger people and how it affects their youthful lives. Because of that, the show seems to rely a lot on laughing at the over the top delusions of the characters. These delusions remind me a lot of Nichijou which were not only over the top, but also felt insulting to my intelligence at the times. Also, repeated use of this type of humor gets boring to me after a while, so because of that, I want to see how the next episode shakes up before making a decision (Note: I got bored of Nichijou after a while)

Kamisama Hajimemashita:
Shoujo romance comedies, definitely not my cup of tea, but I decided to give it a try. The show revolves around a poor girl who got kicked of her home because of her father's debt (like a certain butler in today's shows). The story goes on with the main character becoming an Earth Deity and negotiating with her partner/servant. To make this fun to watch, the show depends a lot on making the character do the "unexpected action" when dealing with situations, but despite trying to be unexpected, the actions become rather predictable after a while, making it rather dry. Beyond that, there is not much left to back up the show: characters seem pretty standard, animation is okay, and plotline is fairly cliche. I might be overly harsh, but this is not a shoujo I care to watch.
NoHitter
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Definitely have a good feeling about this show. The characters are interesting and the animation quality is nice.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Neutral here. Not really fond of this genre, so I'll wait and see. Characters are pretty interesting though.
Suzu_old_1
Just finished the first episode of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!.
I can honest say...it was hilarious.
In the first 5 minutes I laughed more than in any other anime ^^
The animation kinda reminds me of k-on...don't know why.
But I still can't stand this 3D objects in animes. Train
I think it will be a great anime with a great story.

Gonna love this xD

This "I don't giva a shit" walk at the end xD
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Zetsuen no Tempest
Bones animating a series I find interesting, count me in. Bones did not disappoint. Action scenes was great and while the dialogue was trimmed a bit, it stayed fairly close to teh original (the original was funnier imo and portrayed Yoshino's character a bit better) I am a little worried at how they will animate a show where the main charactetrs basically stand and talk for 7-8 chapters in a row (there are only 18 chapters scanlated) but I'll enjoy the early action scenes, regardless. (For those new to the series, this series is very heavy on psycological debates, and always remember what is said about Yoshino being able to lie with a straight face)
miss_master_old
Looking forward to K and BTOOOM! a lot!
thelewa

SOON
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
K:
Where in the world am I supposed to begin with this? This show is just seems to be shotgunning the audience in a not so entertaining manner imo. We have superpowers, street punks, overused color filters, swords, practically naked girl, hints of dark plotlines, etc. I guess lets start with the upsides of the show. Animation wise, the show is stunning. They seem to make sure that every screen has some object that is always in motion. Panning scenes have moving sky, flowers and trains. Action scenes have plenty of effects.... That is all I can say that is positive. The show puts a blue-green color filter on virtually every part of the show making things more difficult to see and lowering the contrast on things that should stand out. On top of that, the show seems to struggle sustaining fast-paced action scenes. We could have an epic scene where the main character is constantly jumping and dodging attacks from skateboarders and fireballs, but instead, the fight is interrupted by bishonen show offscenes, slow skateboard tricks, or the common staying still and talking scene. There was only 1 short fight scene that gave me some of the fun and exhilaration that Zetsuen no Tempest's one fight scene had. Now plotwise, this show didn't really say much. We have some talks about kings and murdereres, but really that is it. There seems to be a major murder in the past, but I couldn't seem to care about it that much in the show's current state.

In short, I wish there was sometime I could look forward to in the series, but I don't really find it interesting right now. I'll keep it in considerations status for now just because it has so much money spent on it. Budgets that large can usually pull something out that is moderately entertaining.....

That was long....

Btooom!:
You have grenades. I have grenades. Let's have a party!.... Basically that is the premise of Btooom! Everyone has 8 grenades and sent to fight each other on an island. For those wondering about the quality of the adaptation, the adaptation was quite solid with most of the details and events told quite accurately so far. This is where we encounter our first problem, the first few chapters of Btooom! are pretty boring with the main character half acting like a wimp. In addition, the mc sounds even wimpier in the anime than how I imagine him in the manga. This is not exactly a thing I wanted, but I can accept it. Animation wise, things are okay. They don't cheap out too much on the action scenes, but there is nothing spectacular about the action scenes. In addition, some of the details of the plants and wildlife are missing in the backgrounds, but there is enough in the bckground to set the general mood.

Overall, Btooom!'s first ep was not that bad but not great. If you are a fan of the series, the show seems like a decent adaptation, but for those new to the series, I would say wait around and wonder what the 2nd episode will bring to us (the topics in the 2nd ep should be a bit more srs).
thelewa
JoJo confirmed for saving anime and being AOTY

Valentiino

thelewa wrote:

JoJo confirmed for saving anime and being AOTY

Yuugo
I still feel like it's too hard to judge an anime with only one episode seen, but I guess I can always change my opinion later on.

Chuunibyou Demo koi ga Shitai!
I loved this episode. Every moment of it left me smiling. It more or less combines the cuteness of K-On with the humour of Nichijou and adds a decent story too it. The animations were well done and suit the general theme of the anime. I'm definitely in favour of this one.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Hmm.. Tonari.. Watching this was entertaining, but it felt like something was missing. I'm not familiar with the studio behind this anime so perhaps I'm to be pleasantly surprised though. I'm not a big fan of the art style so far. It might take some getting used too but the faces just seem oddly drawn to me. Other than that I think the humour has some serious potential and the story line seems like it might be interesting. For now I will stay neutral about this one.

Time to watch BTOOOM and K
show more