forum

[CtB] & [Taiko] diff names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Drafura
We was talking about that in the CtB rules thread and this affect taiko too, so :

I didn't saw any discution thread about adding "taiko" or "ctb" to diff names since the new update, the one showing directly an icon in the beatmap panel of wich mode specific is the diff.

So my question is : Adding "CtB" or "Taiko" in the diff name still necessary since there's no more confusion possible of wich play mode is a beatmap ?
Aurele
As Deif said, every game modes has their own difficulty names. So adding "CtB" or "Taiko" before the difficulty name seems useless.
bomber34
If people would use the specific diff names ... I see it so often that it is just called "guest mapper's name" Taiko/CtB and that's it...
Rei Hakurei
Adding "CtB" or "Taiko" in the diff name still necessary since there's no more confusion possible of wich play mode is a beatmap ?
p/1812352
Topic Starter
Drafura
Thank you Rei.
OnosakiHito
This has been allready discussed before in the taiko community. And peppy changed the rule before Taiko-sets got even allowed, which is mostly unresonable @Rei.
Anyway, as long as there is no feature for finding a specific taiko diff. in forum and client, they should contain 'taiko' in its name, because else how are you supposed to find this map?
Another solution is to add taiko or ctb into the XXX-only sets.

Maybe you can find the maps now, which just contains the icon for their game-mode because you know the map or have it allready . But how will it looks like in the future when we have more then 100 maps and a player didn't downloaded a specific map yet? Search site for site?

I think you guys should support this instead rolling up old discussions: t/45381
eldnl

OnosakiHito wrote:

This has been allready discussed before in the taiko community. And peppy changed the rule before Taiko-sets got even allowed, which is mostly unresonable @Rei.
Anyway, as long as there is no feature for finding a specific taiko diff. in forum and client, they should contain 'taiko' in its name, because else how are you supposed to find this map?
Another solution is to add taiko or ctb into the XXX-only sets.

Maybe you can find the maps now, which just contains the icon for their game-mode because you know the map or have it allready . But how will it looks like in the future when we have more then 100 maps and a player didn't downloaded a specific map yet? Search site for site?

I think you guys should support this instead rolling up old discussions: t/45381
Taiko should be in the tags then
Loctav
Putting "taiko" into the diff name doesnt make it findable in the websearch engine. Try putting "Insane" in and be surprised how 90% of all mapsets do NOT get listed.
Putting "Taiko" into diff names has no point, putting "ctb" also not, especially when we have the icons now.

Putting taiko+ctb in the tags should work pretty good. Maybe could be set as rule till the feature gets implemented.
Mercurial
Since each diff has an icon with their respective mod (Catch the Bananas Beat or Taiko), I see this mention on the diffs very useless.

That's my opinion.

eldnl wrote:

Taiko should be in the tags then
Read this.
OnosakiHito
^@: That's why I said, another solution would be to set "taiko" and "ctb" into the tags to be able to find them in web and client.

Loctav wrote:

Putting taiko+ctb in the tags should work pretty good. Maybe could be set as rule till the feature gets implemented.
Then let's move to this topic please: t/96489 (Changed it of course from "taiko" to "taiko and ctb".)

This one here is more like duplicated.
Sakura
Just to clarify, peppy disagreed with forcing any kind of naming as it should be always up to the mapper, he removed the guideline (or was it a rule?) about naming the taiko diffs "kantan, futsuu, muzukashii, oni" as they are pretty much the japanese names for the standard difficulties (aside from oni), so it didn't make much sense.

tl;dr: Every mapper is free to name their difficulty however they want, there's no need for a difficulty naming standard.

P.S: Be mindful however that if there isn't a tag on all difficulties of the map, it wont be searchable on the website, which is why i welcome more a feature that allows to search for ctb/taiko diff inclusion or mapsets rather than going with extra tags on diff names or mapset, A feature like that will cover every single beatmap in the database, while tags or diff names cannot be changed easily after ranking (well tags can, but the change only works online)
OnosakiHito

Sakura wrote:

Just to clarify, peppy disagreed with forcing any kind of naming as it should be always up to the mapper, he removed the guideline (or was it a rule?) about naming the taiko diffs "kantan, futsuu, muzukashii, oni" as they are pretty much the japanese names for the standard difficulties (aside from oni), so it didn't make much sense.

It makes no sense to change things which worked very well all 6 years in osu(okay probably taiko is not that long represent here) and which are in common use. So I don't understand yours or peppys view. Just an example: p/1813457
After the rule about tags has been settled they can call there diff's however they want. oO

tl;dr: Every mapper is free to name their difficulty however they want, there's no need for a difficulty naming standard.

P.S: Be mindful however that if there isn't a tag on all difficulties of the map, it wont be searchable on the website, which is why i welcome more a feature that allows to search for ctb/taiko diff inclusion or mapsets rather than going with extra tags on diff names or mapset, A feature like that will cover every single beatmap in the database, while tags or diff names cannot be changed easily after ranking (well tags can, but the change only works online)
It would be better, but I don't think we will get the feature within months. It's allready hard enough to discuss about new rules which are more like logic and obviously.
Mercurial
If the people don't have any problem of call their diffs as Futsuu or whatever name in Taiko or anymode, I don't see why the team must discuss it here.

The rules or implementations that need to be applied are very clear, so don't complain about it and follow the flow.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/45015 <- This beatmap is a very good example of what Sakura is talking.
Loctav
And once again people miss the point of this thread.
Yes, Sakura. I mean you.

Please read the OP more proper and then retry. Thanks.
HakuNoKaemi

Drafura wrote:

We was talking about that in the CtB rules thread and this affect taiko too, so :

I didn't saw any discution thread about adding "taiko" or "ctb" to diff names since the new update, the one showing directly an icon in the beatmap panel of wich mode specific is the diff.

So my question is : Adding "CtB" or "Taiko" in the diff name still necessary since there's no more confusion possible of wich play mode is a beatmap ?

I say not

You can call them however you want, just leave some ways to know the difficulty ( intesity order ors ). Example
Song: Head Cha-la
Human
Saiyan
Super Saiyan
Super Sayian 2
Super Saiyan 3
Super Saiyan 4

Song: Fuwafuwa time
Ritsu's Start
Ritsu's Madness
Topic Starter
Drafura
uh oh... this thread was opened cause i didn't knew about the rule nuke of the naming rule (i was in spain /mylife) and since Rei_fan49 post, the discution could be closed. We was talking about that on CtB rules thread and since this affects taiko too it was best to open a new thread (instead of just taking the decision on our side). I'm not against talking about this nuke but since there's no limitation to diff names i don't think anyone will complain about it.
miss_master_old
me either.
Sakura
The difficulty naming related rules were nuked by peppy directly on the wiki before.

Nothing to do here.