forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bane
I come back after 2 weeks break and I'm still worse than I was before despite continuous play. Why do I even bother with this game.
Yuudachi-kun

Sajtail wrote:

I come back after 2 weeks break and I'm still worse than I was before despite continuous play. Why do I even bother with this game.
I'm signifcantly worse each morning and take 4 hours to reach my final form which is only 4.2% better than my waking up form.
SomeLoli

Sajtail wrote:

for fun? getting mlg isn't that important
ZenithPhantasm
Have a loli sit on your lap=Instant 300bpm streams
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would find one but they don't let me around the primary schools anymore.
Nathan

Kheldragar wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I would find one but they don't let me around the primary schools anymore.
Hey me too
GSG95
Fap with your mouse hand more.
nbs4
is this thread ok for noobs to post in
GSG95

nbs4 wrote:

I am a noob.
Froic

nbs4 wrote:

of course! its not like peppy is gonna read this and ban you XD

*peppy walks in room*

*raises hands in the air* IM INNOCENT!
nbs4
I meant is this thread socially ok to post in, but ok.
Yuudachi-kun

GSG95 wrote:

nbs4 wrote:

I am a noob.
Same
Bengon
Can anyone give me some tips on doing slow streams better? I made a big mistake and tried to learn streaming at around 180bpm and now I can't go below it without getting a bunch of misses or 100s. I've been trying to do slower streams over and over, but It seem's pretty futile as I just end up going to fast because of how used I am to doing faster streams.
Cladnic
When it comes to the square jumps (jumps with a square pattern) I have been having a really hard time. What i have been doing when trying to beat the map is that I have tried to just go with a circle motion with my pen on the tablet.

This have worked in some cases but it feels really weird like i'm not really playing the way I should play. I just can't get the feeling from it.

Do anybody have some advice?
Like is there another motion you can use? And have you had this problem your selfe and did you solve it somehow or just play for a while and something just clicks?

Please anwser :)
/Cladnic
Cladnic

nbs4 wrote:

Yes of course :)

This thread is for improvement and learning right? And I personally don't think the "pros" have much to learn from other players so you could say that this is only for noobs :D
lilelf29

jesus1412 wrote:

It can be very tiring and hurtful for your arm in the beginning if you are not used to it. But don't worry, it will stop after a few days.
I'm not quite sure about this "few days" comment.
I've been playing everyday for around 3 months now and I get forearm aches everyday during play/after play.
It's normally okay again in the morning though.
Soft

nbs4 wrote:

Let's be real, most of us are noobs.
- Makii -
I have problems with increasing the rate at which I tap.
Any tips on how to click faster with one finger? :)
Froic

NanozZ wrote:

I have problems with increasing the rate at which I tap.
Any tips on how to click faster with one finger? :)
practice makes perfect!. usually the problem is not how you can increase the rate at which you tap, but the level of control that you have over the speed that you tap.

try this map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/96661 insane mode. don't think " i must tap as fast as i can just because its a stream". try thinking "ok this is the beat of the song and i have to tap as close to the beat as possible". keep trying. eventually you will get the hang of it.

to increase my tapping stamina i play stream maps like o'er the flood, unpleasant sonata, and hatsune miku mythologia's end.
Yuudachi-kun
I think anyone would start to miss every note trying to go as fast as possible at 143 bpm.
Froic

Kheldragar wrote:

I think anyone would start to miss every note trying to go as fast as possible at 143 bpm.

true dat. lol.

siingle tapping 150 bpm streams require lots of control in your fingers. thats why wubwoofwolf can HD + HR scarlet rose. both his fingers are in full control as if they have a brain of their own xD
Ikikaera
After playing frequently for 1 year, I still can't stream long streams. Even if they're 180 BPM. After some time one of my fingers just stop moving and I keep getting misses, I often can't follow a long stream with my cursor for too long either.
Any way to prevent that from happening?
Yuudachi-kun
How long is long? Even I fail 167 bpm after ~400 notes.
figifugu
I seriously thought it was just gonna be "just practice" thread but this gave some serious advice. Thank you!
Ikikaera

Kheldragar wrote:

I consider long streams as anything that has more than 10 notes...
iiyo
I'm going to play standard and when I play the grip on my mouse feels off and I can't do squares that well any tips?
Yuudachi-kun

Chris9427 wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I consider long streams as anything that has more than 10 notes...
Have you tried tensing your elbow/arm? Somehow that makes me faster for brief periods of time.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/130500?m=0 near the end has a 50ish note long stream.
Ikikaera

Kheldragar wrote:

Have you tried tensing your elbow/arm? Somehow that makes me faster for brief periods of time.

Oh god this map.
And yeah, my arms are pretty tensed up as soon as I'm doing something that requires me to push my limits. And I'm already at my limits at 190 BPM and/or long streams.
My singletapping isn't that fast either, but I'm getting there.
Yuudachi-kun

Chris9427 wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Oh god this map.
And yeah, my arms are pretty tensed up as soon as I'm doing something that requires me to push my limits. And I'm already at my limits at 190 BPM and/or long streams.
My singletapping isn't that fast either, but I'm getting there.
My singletapping was slow as shit too. Then I suddenly found out I could get through the opening of scarlet rose and spammed that like 30 times (I got 3/4 in as my record). Also Cocaine.

Now it's a lot better so uhhh....

e: Also 180 bpm square jump practice map and he has no mittens helped too.
Ikikaera

Kheldragar wrote:

My singletapping was slow as shit too. Then I suddenly found out I could get through the opening of scarlet rose and spammed that like 30 times (I got 3/4 in as my record). Also Cocaine.

Now it's a lot better so uhhh....

e: Also 180 bpm square jump practice map and he has no mittens helped too.
Thanks for the advice.
As a side note, yesterday I tested my streaming speed with that hitspeed.exe thing. With my laptop keyboard (Which I used to play osu! for the whole last year) I got to ~11 hits per second, which is roughly 170 bpm. And then I tested it with brown switches (I just got them last week), and my streaming speed almost doubled. 17 - 19 hits per second, which is ~270 bpm. tested with 100 and 200 hits.
Although, when I'm playing osu, I can't even remotely reach those speeds.
Yuudachi-kun
I use that Osustreamspeed.jar one because the other stream speed gave me shit like 300-380 bpm when I switched my keyboard layout to the arrow keys.

At 50 notes:

Tryhard stream: 210 bpm
Comfy stream: 180 bpm
Tryhard singletap: 120 bpm
Comfy singletap: 100 bpm

But I have no control over my fingers anyway. The deathstream comp is always a juggle between too fast and too slow; I can't hold a consistant speed. Then I get tired and fail 167. :D
wut101
Hello,

These days, I'm what I call a casual-hardcore player for most games. I don't really spend as much time on games as I used to, but the time I do spend, I like to spend it efficiently and I like improving.

That said, I started playing osu! a few years ago, but haven't played much really. I'm almost a purely mouse player with a 15 year old Intellimouse, but I use the keyboard for fast streams. I feel like I've hit a wall in improvement, so I figured I'd look for some advice from better players :) I don't really care about rank, and I'm not really 100% certain the rank goes up/down. I just enjoy the game and would like to be able to get better scores/pass more difficult songs.

Some of my biggest issues right now are:

-My wrist/hand gets a little tired in the middle of some songs depending on length/difficulty. It affects my accuracy a lot towards the middle-end of songs and I'll drop from 93-95% down to 90-92 which sucks. I don't know if there's any advice to be given for this, but I guess it'll get better if I played more.

-Streams. I'm so bad at streams. Slower speeds are no problem, but when they get faster, or there's a lot of groups of streams, or a mix of streams with regular sliders, my timing goes out the window. A lot of songs I would be able to score an A on if I could just get even half of the streams timed for 300. i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/185443&m=0 on Insane, I can usually manage 94-95% through about 2/3rds of the song with 5-10 misses, but at the instrumental part after the 2nd chorus with the streams, my score plummets and I can't get back into the A range. Makes me sad :(

-Consistency. I don't know why, but I'm really inconsistent, even on easy 4-4.5 star maps. Sometimes I'll get close to a full combo on a song, and another time just barely get 93%. I don't know if this is a problem with not playing that much, but it doesn't seem to improve even when I play for a while.

-Songs where the hits aren't on a...steady beat? When there are a lot of changes in the speed or if the hits are offbeat a lot, my timing is also very bad. I'm not great at paying attention to when the big circle is closing in on the hits, but even when I try to, it doesn't work out all that well. If I play the song repeatedly and practice, it gets better slowly, but it doesn't feel like an effective way of going about it.

My "peak" mouse accuracy is okayish. The consistency thing is an issue, but when I'm playing well, it feels like my accuracy is relatively good for how much time I've put in. But in regards to mouse accuracy, it feels like the songs that I'm able to handle are fairly easy, ignoring timing accuracy, and songs that I'm not able to play are too difficult, so I'm not sure what to do to improve on this further. Songs on the faster end are pretty difficult for me. i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/321521&m=0 on Rejection I can get close to passing with like 80-85% occasionally but it's a bit too fast for me.

Any help is appreciated :)
Froic

wut101 wrote:

Hello,

These days, I'm what I call a casual-hardcore player for most games. I don't really spend as much time on games as I used to, but the time I do spend, I like to spend it efficiently and I like improving.

That said, I started playing osu! a few years ago, but haven't played much really. I'm almost a purely mouse player with a 15 year old Intellimouse, but I use the keyboard for fast streams. I feel like I've hit a wall in improvement, so I figured I'd look for some advice from better players :) I don't really care about rank, and I'm not really 100% certain the rank goes up/down. I just enjoy the game and would like to be able to get better scores/pass more difficult songs.

Some of my biggest issues right now are:

-My wrist/hand gets a little tired in the middle of some songs depending on length/difficulty. It affects my accuracy a lot towards the middle-end of songs and I'll drop from 93-95% down to 90-92 which sucks. I don't know if there's any advice to be given for this, but I guess it'll get better if I played more.

-Streams. I'm so bad at streams. Slower speeds are no problem, but when they get faster, or there's a lot of groups of streams, or a mix of streams with regular sliders, my timing goes out the window. A lot of songs I would be able to score an A on if I could just get even half of the streams timed for 300. i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/185443&m=0 on Insane, I can usually manage 94-95% through about 2/3rds of the song with 5-10 misses, but at the instrumental part after the 2nd chorus with the streams, my score plummets and I can't get back into the A range. Makes me sad :(

-Consistency. I don't know why, but I'm really inconsistent, even on easy 4-4.5 star maps. Sometimes I'll get close to a full combo on a song, and another time just barely get 93%. I don't know if this is a problem with not playing that much, but it doesn't seem to improve even when I play for a while.

-Songs where the hits aren't on a...steady beat? When there are a lot of changes in the speed or if the hits are offbeat a lot, my timing is also very bad. I'm not great at paying attention to when the big circle is closing in on the hits, but even when I try to, it doesn't work out all that well. If I play the song repeatedly and practice, it gets better slowly, but it doesn't feel like an effective way of going about it.

My "peak" mouse accuracy is okayish. The consistency thing is an issue, but when I'm playing well, it feels like my accuracy is relatively good for how much time I've put in. But in regards to mouse accuracy, it feels like the songs that I'm able to handle are fairly easy, ignoring timing accuracy, and songs that I'm not able to play are too difficult, so I'm not sure what to do to improve on this further. Songs on the faster end are pretty difficult for me. i.e. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/321521&m=0 on Rejection I can get close to passing with like 80-85% occasionally but it's a bit too fast for me.

Any help is appreciated :)

I may be a tablet player, but i can also play osu with the mouse. with the mouse i can play up to 4.5 star maps :3.

1. if your wrist is getting tired easily, you could be overworking your hand and should rest for a day or two. also try finding a mouse that fits you, be it a small mouse or a large one that fits your whole palm. Try out different mouse grips. the one I use is a fingertip grip where i only use my fingertips to move the mouse about.

2. ah streams. used to be my worst enemy, now its my pride n joy. streaming is tough. yes you need consistency in tapping to the beat, but it all comes down to the root of the problem. STAMINA. To improve at Osu!, one must build his/her tapping stamina.
I increased my stamina by playing hatsune miku- mythologia's end with the no fail mod.https://osu.ppy.sh/s/48979
The first few times i played it, my hand started to stop halfway and just couldn't keep up with the beat. But retry after retry, i finally did it. After gaining my stamina, I attacked the next problem. tapping to the right BPM. a lot of us tap to the approach circle of the song. I forced myself to tap to the beat by playing with hidden. To help with the listening of the beat, I change the volume settings by setting the music volume at 30% and the effects volume at 70%. This makes your clicks when hitting the circles louder while making the music softer. You can even try out some skins that might give a really nice click sound that might help your tapping consistency further.

3. don't worry about your consistency. Its all in the mind whether you think you are improving or not. Just play for the fun of it ^^.

4. what i do is listen to the song a few times before i actually play the map, this gives me a gist of the beat. when playing a map for the first time, don't just click ESC and hit the retry button just because you didn't get that FC that would rank you up. play through the entire thing. you could also exit the map right before finishing it to prevent that horrible score from saving into your ranking system ;)

5. keep trying. play songs you barely pass and improve on that! usually to improve at Osu! means to improve at pattern recognition such as squares and repeating sliders that end with a super long stream. keep playing maps and you will get used to the common patterns such as circles that stack in 3.

hope this will help you xD
Ash Marley
Pen grip is my obstacle. I can never get comfortable.
Froic

Ash Marley wrote:

Pen grip is my obstacle. I can never get comfortable.
me too Q_Q. finding a good pen grip is very tough. especially when using a large active area. cuz it eventually slips out of my hand from all the sweat :P
rm-rm
Damn. I should look at the forums sometime. This really helped! c:
-Chronopolis-
(I play mouse keyboard.)

For the longest time I used some jerky motions to make the hardest jumps. They were still aimed and I had some success, but the problem was that those motions changed my wrist orientation in a way that wasn't always reversible (often downwards, with the mouse stuck against the bottom of my palm), and often I would get to this part were I couldn't aim at a certain angle any more. and angle. When it was only large jumps I would just use my forearm, but switching was hard.

Last few days I switched to a more snappy style with recoverable movements which doesn't suffer that much from my wrist getting stuck in a awkward position.

Two things mess me up though:

Slider followed with a single on the end of the slider
AND
Bunch of singles, but with some consecutive singles stacked.
Oh also sliders which are slow but you have to jump fast between. I keep getting tempted to sling my wrist a bit for that, not so good.

How do you handle your mouse for these things?
dung eater

-Chronopolis- wrote:

Lower dpi, zero wrist usage for up/down movement using arm/fingers (wrist for some vertical movement) to move mouse.

Various stacks of singles, you just have to find the things they correspond to in the song and tap. It's easier to singletap mixed stacks of whatever imo. Alternating takes more concentration.
ZenithPhantasm

-Chronopolis- wrote:

(I play mouse keyboard.)

For the longest time I used some jerky motions to make the hardest jumps. They were still aimed and I had some success, but the problem was that those motions changed my wrist orientation in a way that wasn't always reversible (often downwards, with the mouse stuck against the bottom of my palm), and often I would get to this part were I couldn't aim at a certain angle any more. and angle. When it was only large jumps I would just use my forearm, but switching was hard.

Last few days I switched to a more snappy style with recoverable movements which doesn't suffer that much from my wrist getting stuck in a awkward position.

Two things mess me up though:

Slider followed with a single on the end of the slider
AND
Bunch of singles, but with some consecutive singles stacked.
Oh also sliders which are slow but you have to jump fast between. I keep getting tempted to sling my wrist a bit for that, not so good.

It sounds like you're not reading it properly. Perhaps switch to a skin that doesn't have slider ends?
agubelu
Hi guys, I started playing about 6 months ago and I feel like I've been improving steadily until the last two months or so. I can pass ~5 star maps with 95%ish accuracy but I can't FC them because I always miss some notes.

I feel somewhat frustrated because I feel like I'm not improving anymore, it doesn't matter how many times I try I always end up failing some random circles.

Do you guys think I should keep practicing those maps I feel comfortable with until I can FC them easily and then move on to something harder, or just start trying stuff I can barely pass (like 80% acc)? I'm afraid I can end up having some bad habits if I do the latter.

Thank y'all, have a nice day~
show more