forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Soarezi

Ultrayano wrote:

Laptops Keyboards are really flat so it can be hard to Stream and Singletap fast things ...
clementine says hi
Blueprint

GoldenWolf wrote:

I actually find it easier to stream fast on laptop keyboard, because I don't have to lift my fingers as much
My accuracy dies though lol
I think I'm pretty good at streaming assuming I have my cursor placed properly ( I define good as in hitting every note on the stream) not 300's
GoldenWolf
only hitting the notes isn't good tho, getting accuracy is what define being able to stream, else I could spam 300bpm without breaking combo and call myself a fast player! if only
mayainverse
SO i have been getting kind of addicted to a certain brand of maps(val0108) there are some slow ones like carinval that are single tap maps but i alternate since i well. I "can" single tap that fast but alternating that specific map makes it easier for the time being. my question is should I Just like superglue my middfinger to my hand so it forces me to improve my single tapping or just does it not really matter.
also I don't know if this happens to anyone else but i have been playing for almost 5 months now and my performance on a specific map has not changed at all since i was a 1 week old player(crazy night(insane)) i can feel decent progress in the game as a whole but i just dont know why i can not get passed 15 seconds on that map for the life of me. crazy frustraiting.
Almost

mayainverse wrote:

SO i have been getting kind of addicted to a certain brand of maps(val0108) there are some slow ones like carinval that are single tap maps but i alternate since i well. I "can" single tap that fast but alternating that specific map makes it easier for the time being. my question is should I Just like superglue my middfinger to my hand so it forces me to improve my single tapping or just does it not really matter.
also I don't know if this happens to anyone else but i have been playing for almost 5 months now and my performance on a specific map has not changed at all since i was a 1 week old player(crazy night(insane)) i can feel decent progress in the game as a whole but i just dont know why i can not get passed 15 seconds on that map for the life of me. crazy frustraiting.
Do whatever feels comfortable to you. Performance drops happen to everyone, I haven't felt like I've improved for half a year.
FlameseeK

mayainverse wrote:

You can get really good at alternating if that's what you want. You can also get really good at single tapping. Keeping your middle finger close to your index finger does help you tap faster, I do that myself sometimes. But ultimately, I've ended up doing using my wrist to single tap faster. Moving your entire hand helps because your forearm strength allows you to single tap faster this way than if you just use your fingers to tap.

Just don't overdo it and be careful not to hurt yourself. This creates a lot tension and strains your wrist, but keep in mind you're not supposed to be in pain. If you don't allow your wrist to get used to this technique, you could end up with an injury.

If you can't make any progress on a specific map, don't worry much about it. Chances are this map is out of your league and you need to play other stuff to get to that level. You could improve a lot within a month and still be just as bad on really difficult maps such as the big black... you'll only get so far on some maps if it's out of your league.
Ven
Jesus, I fail any beatmap with a square in it.
bratan
I just found out my only REAL problem in this game: More than 3 notes at the same time. It's not low ar, it's not aiming or alternating that's the problem, no, my only problem is when notes are stacking up on the screen (and that mostly happens on low ar) and I don't know how to move on. I'm seriously not so bad at this game, but this is really a huge problem that needs to get fixed, otherwise I will stop to improve. My brain just says "no" when there are more than 3 notes on the screen and then stops working. That's why I like high AR and HR/DT. The only way I can read maps like scarlet rose / anthem (bring me the horizon) or distorted lovesong is to HT HR them, or simply HR them, and they are a lot easier for me cause notes don't stack up and I clearly know how to move on, no, I don't even have time to think about how to move on, I just do it, I just react. But if I don't use any of those mods on those maps, I'm just spamming my keyboard and hoping to hit something. How to learn this? To keep calm when many notes are on the screen and (of course) to hit all of them? I would be very happy if someone could help me with my huge problem.
Almost

Katziezi wrote:

I just found out my only REAL problem in this game: More than 3 notes at the same time. It's not low ar, it's not aiming or alternating that's the problem, no, my only problem is when notes are stacking up on the screen (and that mostly happens on low ar) and I don't know how to move on. I'm seriously not so bad at this game, but this is really a huge problem that needs to get fixed, otherwise I will stop to improve. My brain just says "no" when there are more than 3 notes on the screen and then stops working. That's why I like high AR and HR/DT. The only way I can read maps like scarlet rose / anthem (bring me the horizon) or distorted lovesong is to HT HR them, or simply HR them, and they are a lot easier for me cause notes don't stack up and I clearly know how to move on, no, I don't even have time to think about how to move on, I just do it, I just react. But if I don't use any of those mods on those maps, I'm just spamming my keyboard and hoping to hit something. How to learn this? To keep calm when many notes are on the screen and (of course) to hit all of them? I would be very happy if someone could help me with my huge problem.
You have a few options. You can either play EZ mod, edit maps down 1 or 2 ARs or you can just play a lot of maps that have higher circle densities no matter the AR.
Kyofo
Any tips for spinners? i play with mouse and whenever i try and spin close to the center i end up not spinning at all o-o.. if you guys get what I'm saying...
Almost

Kyofo wrote:

Any tips for spinners? i play with mouse and whenever i try and spin close to the center i end up not spinning at all o-o.. if you guys get what I'm saying...
You only spin close to the centre on a mouse if you play low dpi.
Barciok
I guess playing with harder switches (blacks) was really helpful with acc for me...
mad Lou
I have big problems with this ultra short fast sliders. I think they're called 1/8 Sliders. There's no way I can do them without breaks or getting 100. What's the the secret to master them? It seems there is also no training map for them.
Yano

mad Lou wrote:

I have big problems with this ultra short fast sliders. I think they're called 1/8 Sliders. There's no way I can do them without breaks or getting 100. What's the the secret to master them? It seems there is also no training map for them.
Play more ! Learn too read them and play to the rythmus (Beat)...

Because Maybe pt. 3 is a good way to learn them... but I think the Map is actually to fast for you
Not gonna read all of this... Learned myself how to play osu! in 3 days. I know what to do, how to do it and when to do it. Not saying that Im already getting 2x S ranks with an entire combo and mods that make it harder xD
f i z i k

EcZaByTe wrote:

Not gonna read all of this... Learned myself how to play osu! in 3 days. I know what to do, how to do it and when to do it. Not saying that Im already getting 2x S ranks with an entire combo and mods that make it harder xD
You heard it here first guys,the next Justin Bieber has arrived. Get rekt all of you nerds
Enamour
So much information to learn from this thread. :D
Bweh

Kyon wrote:

Jesus, I fail any beatmap with a square in it.
Before I FC'd this https://osu.ppy.sh/b/126229?m=0 I practiced this https://osu.ppy.sh/s/46622 everyday

The thing about squares is that they're an easily recognizable pattern; you end up reading the square as a whole pattern instead of each circle that comprises it. Since it's easy to recognize, it's easy to misread it. The same can be said about a lot of other patterns but I feel like squares are the most notorious ones of them all.

Get into the habit of reading each individual note. It's a lot less disorienting than reading the entire pattern, especially when half of the pattern hasn't even come into view yet.

mad Lou wrote:

I have the same issue too, especially when you have streams made up by 1/8 sliders. I feel like if my cursor is just a little bit more into the slider end than the start, I'll get a break. Can't say if I just panic on it but some maps for practicing that would be awesome. I don't like Renard ;;
Eminent
This thread actually inspired me to start making organized collections of practice maps (which I didn't do before). I haven't got around to downloading all the songs from this thread, but the method of improvement has really helped
Kobold
So, I actually went and read the singletaps/stream part

I've been playing for quite a while, and basically for high BPM, it's best to continue practicing to increase endurance? Because I've had a problem with my hand/arm kinda locking up after a short bit of 220 BPM stream ( Playing Rog ). Also, Pizzicato said he lifted weights to increase his BPM endurance by 5-10, so I don't know if that works or not varying on the person.
FlameseeK

Kobold wrote:

I've been playing for quite a while, and basically for high BPM, it's best to continue practicing to increase endurance? Because I've had a problem with my hand/arm kinda locking up after a short bit of 220 BPM stream ( Playing Rog ). Also, Pizzicato said he lifted weights to increase his BPM endurance by 5-10, so I don't know if that works or not varying on the person.
When I was trying to improve my single tapping, I couldn't do so for a while because I wasn't actually using my wrist. There's only so much you can tap with just finger motion. But the thing is, while you have to push yourself to single tap faster, you have to be careful so as not to hurt yourself. Practice, but don't go overboard if your wrist/arm feel sore. Be mindful of what kind of maps you practice, because sometimes you can improve some by playing stuff way beyond your speed level for a while (pretty much crash and burn practice), but it gets to a point where you get dimishing returns, and by that I mean almost no return whatsoever. I did this crash and burn practice with double time for a while, but once I got a little faster I noticed it was time to stop and try doing well on maps that pushed my speed level just enough.

I think lifting weights is a great way to prevent rsi, which is more likely to occur when you push yourself in order to get faster. But I don't think that's a good approach to increasing speed imho, unless your hands are weak and hold you back too much. After all, you need to be able to practice for some time to get faster, but if you wrists can barely keep up... then yeah, you'd need stronger forearms.
Bweh

Kobold wrote:

Lifting weights does help strengthening your forearm muscles, since you need to grip onto the weight. At least I do feel like it helps with stamina, though I don't think it helps much with speed, and ultimately practice is the only thing that'll bring results to the table.
Beastontour
first of all
Thank you very much for this und the time you put in for this! it helps me a lot to improve at my osu! gameplay.

There is a question that is bothering me for quiet a while about what fingers to use for playing the game.
yeah sounds wierd i know... but i would hear your oppionion about it. i started playing the game using my
fore- and middlefinger, but i wonder if its better to use the fore- and ringfinger.
is it all own preference like or is one better than the other?

again, thank you very much and i really appreciate some advice!
Maskless
What is the consensus on how to do triples? (xzx xzx or xzx zxz). I know it's mostly down to preference and OP lists some pros and cons, but I find it easy to adapt and was wondering which way people find more helpful in the long run.
Vuelo Eluko

Maskless wrote:

What is the consensus on how to do triples? (xzx xzx or xzx zxz). I know it's mostly down to preference and OP lists some pros and cons, but I find it easy to adapt and was wondering which way people find more helpful in the long run.
wut
GoldenWolf
xzx zxz xzx zxz xzx zxz is making my brain melt
otoed1
I have a question. How do you deal with "cluttered maps" by this I mean all of the maps where you can't actually see anything, the notes overlap so much you're not really sure what to do. Watching the computer do it rarely helps. I have this problem on many of the "hard" songs and I can't imagine what insane must be like. I can do basically any normal map without fail and can fc most too. However, maps that are cluttered are effectivly unbeatable for me. Any tips?
Insyni

otoed1 wrote:

I have a question. How do you deal with "cluttered maps" by this I mean all of the maps where you can't actually see anything, the notes overlap so much you're not really sure what to do. Watching the computer do it rarely helps. I have this problem on many of the "hard" songs and I can't imagine what insane must be like. I can do basically any normal map without fail and can fc most too. However, maps that are cluttered are effectivly unbeatable for me. Any tips?
Personally, I go into edit mode and figure the pattern out in slow motion, then play it a few times till you get the hang of it. Usually patterns are fairly general and carry across to to other maps. Usually when you get used to the pattern it will seem much less cluttered and make more sense.

Edit: What would you consider a "cluttered song" for sake of example?
kriers
I decided to write down my own experience and way to solve triangles, squares and other patterns in my ask.fm.
Feel free to use: http://ask.fm/kriers/answer/113373614252
Insyni

kriers wrote:

I decided to write down my own experience and way to solve triangles, squares and other patterns in my ask.fm.
Feel free to use: http://ask.fm/kriers/answer/113373614252
I wish I had the same issue as you. Right now aiming is my biggest issue, making my accuracy for Hards and Insanes almost identical. The only difference is if my aim fails me then I fail the Insane.

When I say aim, I don't mean for jumps... It also refers to missing sliders and singles at completely random spots.
Adioranyan
Nice thread! 1+ 8-)
Pinguefy
As a player, I feel like I'm okay a jumps.
However, certain maps really boggle me as to why I miss certain notes: My cursor is on the note and I feel like I'm tapping at the right time, yet it still results in a miss.

This isn't me, but it seems this person has a similar problem (I had massive issues with this map as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXae-RCIjcQ
0:22, 1:00, 1:10, 1:40, 1:56, and 2:32 for the misses.

As this was posted in r/osugame, one of the commenters had suggested that the player (and in all likelihood, me as well), was "predicting and moving the cursor away before you actually hit the note."

This would explain a number of issues I have, especially my confusion of why maps like Koigikoro and Colorful Minutes were difficult for me as well as why playing maps repeatedly resulted in anomalous misses.

So my question is: Is this the problem that he (and I) has? If so, why would you recommend that I could do to remedy it? Thanks.
FlameseeK
What you described sounds similar to something I experienced a few times. I think trying to play this kind of track with just your mouse could help you confirm the issue (if it's the same as mine).

I recall having a harder time doing jumps such as the ones on Airman when I switched from mouse only to keyboard + mouse. Mouse only made it easier to coordinate both clicking and moving because I would "lock" my hand on each note until I actually clicked the mouse. Now, working on fast singles has indirectly helped me deal with this issue. I started moving my wrist more and having more rhythm control when I single tap, so it's significantly easier to lock my right hand when I tap when I also move my wrist.

EDIT: I've just played this song and it doesn't seem hard to coordinate. There aren't any difficult jumps either and it's not fast paced. Trying to move your wrist too much like I described would probably feel weird, so don't worry about that with this beatmap. I still think working on fast singles could help you (especially since they have jumps like these too). But honeslty, now that I think about, it seems like a snapping issue more than tapping... poor snapping could definitely affect how early you try to hit the next note on this beatmap. Not being able to read the song comfortably could also affect your performance, but I guess that's a given.
Lavender

thelewa wrote:

Add this to accuracy as an easy way to practice: If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
Thanks to thelewa, my accuracy is improving.
Insyni

FlameseeK wrote:

Not being able to read the song comfortably could also affect your performance, but I guess that's a given.
@TryHardPenguin
I agree, it's probably a reading issue. I don't know if it will help, but try playing the song without sound (forces you to read rather than listen to the beat).
Pinguefy
It's not a reading issue.

Unless you're implying that the AR is too low, the song itself is AR8, where I can read AR9 comfortably and even AR10 is becoming less daunting. Also, this problem persists on higher AR maps as well, maybe not quite to the same degree though.

I tried turning off the sound, it seemed to work at first, albeit with a huge number of 100s, but I still broke on some easy parts. I played it with sound after that and found that the difference between the two was basically non-existent.

I'm not looking for advice on this map in particular, this just happened to be the map someone else had uploaded a video of the same problem as I had. I think the map is pretty easy, in theory. However, whenever I try to play it, I always get these seemingly inexplicable misses that I wish to address.

To be honest, the idea that I am "predicting and moving the cursor away before you actually hit the note" seems the most plausible to me. Snapping seems like a possible remedy for the issue, but I feel like I'm already doing it fairly well. I'll keep practicing it, I guess.

If anyone wishes to offer any other possible methods or reasons for my problem, please do. Any help would be appreciated!
Ikikaera

TryHardPenguin wrote:

Unless you're implying that the AR is too low, the song itself is AR8, where I can read AR9 comfortably and even AR10 is becoming less daunting. Also, this problem persists on higher AR maps as well, maybe not quite to the same degree though.

I tried turning off the sound, it seemed to work at first, albeit with a huge number of 100s, but I still broke on some easy parts. I played it with sound after that and found that the difference between the two was basically non-existent.

I'm not looking for advice on this map in particular, this just happened to be the map someone else had uploaded a video of the same problem as I had. I think the map is pretty easy, in theory. However, whenever I try to play it, I always get these seemingly inexplicable misses that I wish to address.

To be honest, the idea that I am "predicting and moving the cursor away before you actually hit the note" seems the most plausible to me. Snapping seems like a possible remedy for the issue, but I feel like I'm already doing it fairly well. I'll keep practicing it, I guess.

If anyone wishes to offer any other possible methods or reasons for my problem, please do. Any help would be appreciated!
As a side note, I could easily fc both Koigokoro insanes, but I get misses on completely random parts. The map doesn't even have hard jumps, and it's also a pretty slow map. I think it could be because it's too slow, and practicing other slow maps before trying to fc Koigokoro might help. I don't know though.
Insyni

TryHardPenguin wrote:

When you do the stars, do you see stars or 5 jumps? If you see stars rather than individual jumps, then you should look at the Why you aren't improving at Osu! "HOW DO I GET BETTER?!?!"" thread. It has a nice explanation there.

Honestly, try experimenting with where you are looking when you play the song. There are some songs such as http://osu.ppy.sh/b/139065 that should be very easy not to miss on but have somewhat similar pattern make-up. Take in consideration where you are focusing when you do maps like this. Try to transfer that visual focus to harder maps.

I shouldn't really talk, since I'm worse than you, but just sharing learning experiences. ;)
FlameseeK

TryHardPenguin wrote:

When I say reading, it's not only being able to understand patterns or follow them. Sometimes you can understand a pattern, but the pace at which your eyes follow it could be better. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean you need to stare at every single note during jumps. But I believe reading can help you because the more "comfortable" it is for your eyes to follow the beatmap, the easier it becomes. In other words, if we could make your current skill level the same, but give you the eyes of a player with 1-2 years more experience, it would affect your performance on that beatmap imo, even if you can already read it.

To be honest, I think your best call is to just play similar maps with lots of jumps. This will make your eyes better at reading jumps and improve your muscle memory. When it comes to muscle memory though, I believe it's important to focus on snapping notes properly in your case. You need to develop the ability to move your cursor quickly and confidently, without slowing down or second guessing your ability to hit the desired notes. Snapping will also improve your abiliity to get longer combos, which is really nice and something you seem to have problems with.
Pinguefy
@FlameseeK
I see, that makes sense. I'll definitely take your advice though, thanks for your time!

@DustyFfy
Haha, any and all help is appreciated, really! I've been having problems with the star jumps like the ones in Wahrheit, so I'll look into it. Thanks.

@Chris9427
Oh, you.~
show more