forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rorik
Well I've started to notice 2 main problems I'm having, firstly 2 singles placed on top of one another then moves to a different spot and again 2 on and on, all of these are at a consistent 1/2 beat apart. Is there any advice for not rushing the second note of each of those, and getting it to feel more consistent? Apart from practice since I can't seem to find any good maps to practice it on. And secondly streams that are spaced so that they are not at all covered up by the previous note. I can't seem to manage the timing of fingers vs mouse movement.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Rorik wrote:

Well I've started to notice 2 main problems I'm having, firstly 2 singles placed on top of one another then moves to a different spot and again 2 on and on, all of these are at a consistent 1/2 beat apart. Is there any advice for not rushing the second note of each of those, and getting it to feel more consistent? Apart from practice since I can't seem to find any good maps to practice it on. And secondly streams that are spaced so that they are not at all covered up by the previous note. I can't seem to manage the timing of fingers vs mouse movement.
If you can't find something, find a song with constant 1/2 or 1/4 beats at a bpm you like and just map what you want. Really I only ever noticed the first problem when there is a huge jump between the stacks; sounds like a habit you'll learn to get out of over time honestly. As for spaced streams, you're pretty fucked honestly, everyone is.
Purpletophat
I played osu! a lot for a couple months, but two or three weeks ago I got a Touhou game and played that a lot. I've come back and started playing more often again, but I'm really out of practice now. My stamina and accuracy have come down. Any tips for getting back into the saddle?
GoldenWolf
Play more, you'll eventually get your skill back
Kunino Sagiri
I find the patterns in http://osu.ppy.sh/s/40071 practically impossible for me to do; specifically this

I know for sure that I have at least a good reading ability to be able to get A on fast paced jumpy insane maps like this one http://osu.ppy.sh/b/279376 but for some reason, my hands seems very allergic to REPETITIVE DIAGONAL patterns

And to think that a lot of players far lower than my rank are capable of doing this :( Wtf should I do
Zare

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

a good reading ability
ahahaha yeah sure.

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

players far lower than my rank
ahahaha rank.

play Easy mod for a month and then come back to this.
Kunino Sagiri
And how does easy mod even help me move my cursor diagonally repetitively with ease?

I've been playing that map for month"s" who knows how long but there is 0 improvement. I doubt easy mode would be any help
buny
easy mod is a rather extreme method for learning lower ar and isn't really a plausible method to begin with

what i'd suggest is to go into editor and analyse that pattern, and practice that particular part slowly i.e. try to hit the first 2 notes, when you're comfortable try to get the first 3 notes, then the first 4 notes etc
Almost
Easy mod also makes it harder to play high AR and your aim gets worse if you play it too much.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Almost wrote:

Easy mod also makes it harder to play high AR and your aim gets worse if you play it too much.
I'd argue the opposite, at least from my own experiences. That is of course assuming you're not full retard and you make sure to balance it with some higher ar maps. Learning 2 extremes at once let you manage the entire spectrum faster than barely pushing imo. Also playing easy+hd makes your low ar get so much better so much faster if you can start to read it.
Soarezi
I don't see the point of playing low AR, sure it helps reading lower AR, but then again not many play low AR. I have had sessions where i play lower AR, but it hasn't helped me.
Viise

thelewa wrote:

Add this to accuracy as an easy way to practice: If you have really bad accuracy then just try to really look at the approach circles and really try to get acc that is above 97%, increase this minimum accuracy once you get better at it, capping out at 99%. Going for SS is useless for your general accuracy if you use a billion tries for it, so it's not worth the effort. Eventually something will click into place and accuracy will get easier.
That's help me , thanks :)
buny

Soarezi wrote:

I don't see the point of playing low AR, sure it helps reading lower AR, but then again not many play low AR. I have had sessions where i play lower AR, but it hasn't helped me.
it's not just about reading low ar, but also reading difficult patterns and clusters
Aqo
Reading low AR makes you better at spaced streams since you learn to read every single circle. Since "high level play" in this game all boils down to spaced streams, this is pretty much the most important thing. (well, that, and complex-pattern jumps. and hey guess what low AR also helps with that)
buny

Aqo wrote:

Reading low AR makes you better at spaced streams since you learn to read every single circle. Since "high level play" in this game all boils down to spaced streams, this is pretty much the most important thing. (well, that, and complex-pattern jumps. and hey guess what low AR also helps with that)
lol no
chox_old
why everything here is so indirect
i bet everyone decent here knows that to improve streaming you need to focus only on doubles/triples speed and then you'll gain streaming speed, however noone seems to be glad to share such informations
why not instead of useless guides make something useful? why is everyone directed to this thread which hardly contains any useful informations? mystery for me.
also gotta love this just practice bullsh*t, one without knowing how to practice properly will learn how to do something decently in few years while at the same time person which got knowledge passed to them from other person will grow to same level in a month, why not share knowledge to others then? keeping it to yourself? something is wrong here.
Almost

chox wrote:

i bet everyone decent here knows that to improve streaming you need to focus only on doublets/triplets speed and then you'll gain streaming speed, however noone seems to be glad to share such informations
why not instead of useless guides make something useful? why is everyone directed to this thread which hardly contains any useful informations? mystery for me.
also gotta love this just practice bullsh*t, one without knowing how to practice properly will learn how to do something decently in few years while at the same time person which got knowledge passed to them from other person will grow to same level in a month, why not share knowledge to others then? keeping it to yourself? something is wrong here.
wut?
enik
pls some direct tips how i be cokiezi in 2 mothns
Topic Starter
jesse1412

chox wrote:

i bet everyone decent here knows that to improve streaming you need to focus only on doublets/triplets speed and then you'll gain streaming speed, however noone seems to be glad to share such informations
Practice faster streams to get faster?

I can add that if you like????????? Calm down buddy.
chox_old

enik wrote:

pls some direct tips how i be cokiezi in 2 mothns
just practice
enik
i practice over a year still no cokiezi?? why u no share secret knowledge? i wanna be good too.
Wh1teh

chox wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet

please say doubles/triples they're totally different from tuplets
chox_old

Wh1teh wrote:

please say doubles/triples they're totally different from tuplets
oh, yes i meant doubles and triples lol
RaneFire

chox wrote:

chox_old

RaneFire wrote:

chox wrote:

lol it actually sounds like i want someone to share secret knowledge how to get better
no, i just generally talked about experience and that there are people that have improved faster than others by practicing in better way, that there are obviously better and worse ways to improve which is why "just practice" is very brief answer to how to get better, there's more depth to it, training techniques and such stuff

i guess im not that good in explaining exactly what i think eh?
especially when i'm not well, i guess being angry really does have impact on intelligence
RaneFire

chox wrote:

no, i just generally talked about experience and that there are people that have improved faster than others by practicing in better way, that there are obviously better and worse ways to improve which is why "just practice" is very brief answer to how to get better, there's more depth to it, training techniques and such stuff
I felt that snip from kung-fu panda was appropriate for a few reasons... apart from there being no secret ingredient.

It is a children's movie, but the thing about most children's movies is that they carry a lesson which always has practical application. "Po" the panda, trained with food, because it worked for him. It seems like a joke, but it is also a reminder that we all learn in different ways, and have different strengths.

What is effective for me, may not be effective for you. I've figured out what I need to do to get better anyway, and it's not what everyone else is recommending. I just need to put in the time though. For the most part I am gonna have to deal with my low top speed and inability to FC AR10 for quite a while, but some people grasp this really quickly.
Zare

chox wrote:

lol it actually sounds like i want someone to share secret knowledge how to get better

i guess im not that good in explaining exactly what i think eh?
especially when i'm not well, i guess being angry really does have impact on intelligence
But, this thread exists to explain such "better ways to practice"...
enik
If you want a serious answer it's pretty obvious if you think about it for a second. Everybody has different starting points, goals and the amount of the effort they put into the game to achieve those goals. Some even play for fun (playing a GAME for fun, can you believe that?).

chox wrote:

there are people that have improved faster than others by practicing in better way, that there are obviously better and worse ways to improve
There's no better, worse or secret way to practice - you're only getting better at things you play. Want to stream faster? play fast streams. Stream longer? - long streams, be better at HR or HD? - play HR or HD. Want to be even more better at something - practice it more! But if a guy able to play 240bpm streams and AR11 it doesn't mean he can play everything below this level as good. You might say "this guy is a great player and much better than everyone else who can't do this stuff", maybe you're right but some will disagree.
Juice
Well written, good job!
ExtremelyAvg
This might sound dumb, but i cant really tell if the mouse accel is off. anyway to make sure? it seems like if it happened i would definitely know based on comments. I've followed instructions accurately. A PM reply would be great as i may forget i even posted this.
Zare

Ksiyas wrote:

This might sound dumb, but i cant really tell if the mouse accel is off. anyway to make sure? it seems like if it happened i would definitely know based on comments. I've followed instructions accurately.
simple to test
move mouse slowly from left to right, check how far cursor goes
move mouse fastly from left, check how far the cursor goes, if it went significantly further than before, mouse acceleration is still turned on
ExtremelyAvg

Zarerion wrote:

Ksiyas wrote:

This might sound dumb, but i cant really tell if the mouse accel is off. anyway to make sure? it seems like if it happened i would definitely know based on comments. I've followed instructions accurately.
simple to test
move mouse slowly from left to right, check how far cursor goes
move mouse fastly from left, check how far the cursor goes, if it went significantly further than before, mouse acceleration is still turned on
Thanks a lot. By that test I would say its off. I wish it was an actual control panel option though lol... just so i could clear any doubt.
Zare
windows mouse options -> cursor options -> enhance pointer precision or whatever it's called in the english panel -> uncheck box
Nerve_old
TIL: Setting audio offset per song increases my accuracy. I used a "one size fits all" offset for the longest time. Took a bunch of Vyvanse and was able to see and hear the audio off set for each song pretty darn well. They aren't the same IMO. I also noticed that the offset can change during the song when the creator probably took a break for a few days and came back or someone else helped with the same song with different input lag. Some of the more well known mappers create songs that sync perfect with my offset at 0. Customizing the offset per song has increased my accuracy potential significantly.

Or am I just paranoid /placebo? lol
KoveGames

Zarerion wrote:

windows mouse options -> cursor options -> enhance pointer precision or whatever it's called in the english panel -> uncheck box
No. This depends on what you're used to, I play a million times better with it on.
Zare

KoveGames wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

No. This depends on what you're used to, I play a million times better with it on.
Uhm...
Espionage724

KoveGames wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

Your mouse accuracy is based upon the wind then :p You want your cursor movement to be as consistent as possible, and Enhance Pointer Precision does the opposite.
Cokezi-
So in the 6 active months I've been playing this game literally 99% of my time is spent farming hard/insanes with HD HR.. I can EASILY read and play ar10+ stuff(i've beaten airman/dancenumber on HR) it's just a few patterns that really get me (Big black square slider jumps, airman bottom left top right etc.).

I really want to be able to read these patterns and play them, where should I start?

Also I can barely read ar8 and definitely nothing below that.
Almost
Play less HR because it limits your ability to read.
RaneFire
Too bad there's no real reason to play low AR since. It will just become a "look I can play all AR's" (look at me!) feeling, if you do accomplish it.

Practically everyone can play low AR, while not everyone can play high AR. The mods are there to increase the difficulty, otherwise it is a battle of the SS's. Although getting less than an SS is not a true reflection of your rhythm accuracy either, neither is an SS.

The people who can only play high AR chose to do so because of the competitive nature of the game. If the scoring system were different, they would know both... because it's at a point where every map needs to be played at AR9.6+ to get a rank.

The "pro level" (ugh) is the point where osu! stops being a rhythm game. Until then it's a rhythm game. To be the best from there onwards, it's all about improving your [reading/aim/speed] and [reactions/anticipation/memorisation]. But you need a decent amount of skill in rhythm first. It's just that those other skills will improve much much more, and rhythm takes the back seat. If you get worse accuracy on really hard maps, it's not exclusively because your accuracy/rhythm sucks, it's because those other skills suck, and naturally affect it.

Learning low AR will toss out the second skill bracket, and place new rules on the first one, which naturally changes all aspects of/and puts more weight on reading, putting the handbrakes on your aim and speed. It is actually quite a huge change and this is why, in other rhythm games, AR is customisable and players usually settle on 1 speed or a small range of speeds, forever. In osu!, that is currently AR9 - AR10.3, forced on you by the game for rankwhoring reasons.

So before you think about learning the "lesser skills" - ask yourself... Dafuq am I doing this for?
show more