forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
mer_old_1
How do i deal with like 10-15 circles in the same location? Always loses it at this point... I use mouse while playing.
enik

Limek wrote:

How do i deal with like 10-15 circles in the same location? Always loses it at this point... I use mouse while playing.
It's called streams, you have to use both fingers to clear them. You can read more about streams in the OP.
[T]rickster
How do I avoid seeing/reading patterns as a whole?
enik

[T]rickster wrote:

How do I avoid seeing/reading patterns as a whole?
It comes from the ability to read many circles on screen at once. You can try to separate big hard patterns to a few different small patterns (ex. read Squares as 2 lines of 2 circles) but ideally what you have to do is: take 2 circles of any pattern A and B, A is the starting point and B is the circle we have to jump on and move your cursor from point A to B in a straight line (no matter how the whole pattern looks like) as slow as possible, without changing speed. It means that right after reaching center of the B circle you need to click to get 300. Basically, what Auto does (and cookiezi). This method will help understand map flow better, improve reading and snapping ability.
Also playing lower ARs and Easy mod helps a lot with this issue.
mer_old_1
Is there any good, known way of training on Hidden mode?
GoldenWolf

Mer wrote:

Following the beats of the music
And practice a lot
Hattori Heiji

GoldenWolf wrote:

Mer wrote:

Following the beats of the music
And practice a lot
And use your feeling ~
AlexSant
thank you for the post, I find the hitsounds very annoying but they're essential for a good rhythm, by the way sometimes the videos make the it very hard to see the notes it's good to disable it.
B00l3t

AlexSant wrote:

sometimes the videos make the it very hard to see the notes it's good to disable it.
This and dimming the background helps a LOT
- Cloudy -
Thanks for sharing
will try some out especially spinners, always fail when I wanna continue with hitting :(
Shiningbolt
Alright. I only skimmed through this stuff, but I'd like people's input on this one.

Spaced. Streams.

Slightly overlapping or not overlapping at all, these things cause serious issues for me. They deviate from the norm and-
Err...I'll just get to the point and ask my question.

How do you read them?

Especially streams that move in a circular pattern, streams that gradually space out more, or worse, streams that gradually space out more while moving outward in a circle.
GoldenWolf
I look and read every stream circle by circle (at least when I need to in order to FC it) and I move my cursor over every circle, if the spacing change during the stream I adapt the speed at which I move the cursor
I also look at ~5 circles away in a stream, so I plan ahead a bit at which speed I move the cursor

And of course; Practice
enik
Watch at the whole stream to understand the speed at which you have to move your cursor, but aim to each circle. Spaced streams are mostly hard because they require not only accurate streaming but also precise and smooth cursor movements.
Sotodashi
Coming back after a long hiatus really puts some stress on you.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Sotodashi wrote:

Yeah but I always feel like my accuracy improves when I leave for a while. Weird.
BlackbirdSWE
After all is practice the only thinks you can do to improve yourself, have never read anything so don't have any knowledge but I do have some OSU! Friends that are better than me.
Sotodashi

jesus1412 wrote:

Sotodashi wrote:

Yeah but I always feel like my accuracy improves when I leave for a while. Weird.
My speed and reads definitely goes bad though.
Rawn
Xho
I improved by joining multiplayer lobbies with hard / insane maps while I couldn't even pass hard maps. Just keep sticking to it and you'll notice progress. I myself can't really improve when I play singleplayer because I will only play maps that I can FC.
Also, when I had just began osu! I thought it would be best to start alternate tapping from te beginning. I can somewhat alternate decent now but my singletap/streaming stamina is shit, so my advice for new players would be to just stick with singletap unless you get 1/4 notes. Singletapping should be easier when you just started anyway. I'm actually training my singletapping on low bpm maps now.
Mamoru Senpai
God bless you for this thread, lol. I hope it will help me with squares (They are nearly killing me on every map).
MortalBlade
when i finally got my tablet after 2 years i did some really hard songs with a friend to practice and after 2days (actually 3-5 hours) i was able to pass insane
although im still better with mouse
Xanaehla
All I did is to practice ~
Neroh
Had my tablet for just over a week now. I always wondered why people used almost the whole tablet relative to the screen and I was sat using a tiny box. I've increased the size now to almost the whole tablet and jumps are so much easier!

One practice of mine is to try full combo a song I can full combo, but with hidden. After playing hidden so much I find it's not too difficult to read and that playing with approach circles is a lot easier than it was before.
Almost
Larger tablet size means less chance of movement error.
Rorik
I'd been doing all of my playing with mouse left click button only, but recently I've started switching to keyboard left hand and mouse right hand. I've noticed myself alternating the x/z keys with a finger on each instead of doing the single click you mentioned. Is it worth sticking with that way or is it just going to be a bad habit in the end?
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Rorik wrote:

I'd been doing all of my playing with mouse left click button only, but recently I've started switching to keyboard left hand and mouse right hand. I've noticed myself alternating the x/z keys with a finger on each instead of doing the single click you mentioned. Is it worth sticking with that way or is it just going to be a bad habit in the end?
Personally I think that alternating should be learnt as a secondary technique, and 1key should be used primarily. I'd learn 1key first and start alternating later on.
Fahe
First and foremost thanks a lot to jesus1412 for this thread and to all its contributors, lots of helpful informations and maps in the different threads linked and answers.

I've chosen to alternate pretty much everything, and once again I see it criticized as a technique. I have several gameplay problems, but determining whether or not it's linked to alternating I couldn't say.

One of them being long streams, I guess it's related to it, as I tend to mess up the timing or the cursor position as the stream goes on. Any tips to determine this when I'm watching my own replays ?

Another problem is repetitive triplets (for example in http://osu.ppy.sh/s/37994 utter chaos diff', or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/11153 magnetic and mega force diff's). Can't seem to be able to combo them in maps of 150+ bpm for some reason. Should I treat them as streams with small jumps inbetween. As I noticed this, watching myself play I realized I messed up my alternating when triplets or repetitive stacks of 3/5/7 appeared too often on 160+ bpm maps : no more zxz xzx but rather zxz zxz. Any idea on how can I get rid of that bad habit I must have taken quite some plays ago :?

Lastly (for the moment :D ) any idea of the correspundance between 1/4th mapping and 1/3 ?
I love this map (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/39412) but the 1/3 streams, and 1/6 stacks messes me up, can't seem to get the right tapping speed (I'll get a full 300 on one stream, and mess the next one for no apparent reason..).
I.e a 160bpm mapped in 1/3 is equivalent to a 120bpm mapped in 1/4 (and therefore 1/6 stacks should be considered as 240bpm) or am I totally wrong ?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the semi-wall of text :oops:
enik
Hi,

Fahe wrote:

One of them being long streams, I guess it's related to it, as I tend to mess up the timing or the cursor position as the stream goes on. Any tips to determine this when I'm watching my own replays ?
It's not caused by alternating for sure, most likely you can't stream consistently that bpm yet or can't read long streams properly. For the second issue I'd recommend listen to music and hitsounds more instead of watching at your cursor+stream, it really helps a lot on streams, also play more maps with spaced 1/4 notes, something like this one http://osu.ppy.sh/s/55115#

Fahe wrote:

Another problem is repetitive triplets (for example in http://osu.ppy.sh/s/37994 utter chaos diff', or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/11153 magnetic and mega force diff's). Can't seem to be able to combo them in maps of 150+ bpm for some reason. Should I treat them as streams with small jumps inbetween. As I noticed this, watching myself play I realized I messed up my alternating when triplets or repetitive stacks of 3/5/7 appeared too often on 160+ bpm maps : no more zxz xzx but rather zxz zxz. Any idea on how can I get rid of that bad habit I must have taken quite some plays ago
This problem is indeed cause by your playstyle, repetitive triplets or other repetitive 1/4 stacks is a nightmare for alternaters and it's the main reason why this technique is harder to master than single tap. Basically, you should be able to start any 1/4 or not pattern with each finger equivalently good. Tips: alternate more or single tap.

Fahe wrote:

I.e a 160bpm mapped in 1/3 is equivalent to a 120bpm mapped in 1/4 (and therefore 1/6 stacks should be considered as 240bpm) or am I totally wrong ?
Yes, seems correct to me, 160bpm mapped as 1/3 1/6 can be considered as 240bpm 1/2 1/4.

EDIT: I think we need more cool links in the OP, I found those useful:
SPOILER
Alternating vs Single tap
t/142228
t/143860
http://news.ppy.sh/post/56949145760/clicking-styles

Low AR / Easy Mod
http://news.ppy.sh/post/56948486143/eas ... ow-and-why

Tablet: Hovering vs Dragging
t/140463

Tablet: Area size
haven't found a good thread, maybe just this

Almost wrote:

Larger tablet size means less chance of movement error.
Fahe
Thanks Enik for the answer, now I know where I'm going with my alternating patterns and those nightmarish triplets :cry:

Slowly improving on streaming, still stuck around 150/160bpm for longer ones but at least I'm not losing faith :D
Topic Starter
jesse1412
Tidied up the thread a little and added more to the threads list.
WhatsHappening_old
Same with everything in life. Practice practice practice! If switching to a harder difficulty you could play it at half speed to get the general idea of the map.
Rorik

jesus1412 wrote:

Rorik wrote:

Personally I think that alternating should be learnt as a secondary technique, and 1key should be used primarily. I'd learn 1key first and start alternating later on.
figured I might as well add a status report, been doing things according to the recommendations in this guide (major changes were learning the 1key and turning hitsounds back on) and I've made it to my goal of being able to sightread almost all of the easiest 5 star songs with full combo or very close to. And finally moved into the top 2,500 for the U.S. didn't think I'd be quite as proud of that as it turns out I am haha.
annanokeiji
The biggest problem I have is the spinners... for example on the beginner thread song "ikenai taiyou" I have an SS using HR and FL mods but I lose so much bonus on the spinner that using the SO mod to get 20,000 gets me a better score than playing without it which I get about 10000 which is not enough to make it worth turning SO off as the spinner is about 40% of the total score. How can I improve at spinners?
Almost

annanokeiji wrote:

The biggest problem I have is the spinners... for example on the beginner thread song "ikenai taiyou" I have an SS using HR and FL mods but I lose so much bonus on the spinner that using the SO mod to get 20,000 gets me a better score than playing without it which I get about 10000 which is not enough to make it worth turning SO off as the spinner is about 40% of the total score. How can I improve at spinners?
Just spin slowly in a small circle in the middle and just gradually improve your speed. There really is no point in training your spin speed or anything like that because there is always something better to be training.
Tsukimi Luna
Like before...
I have the accuaracy, the reading ability

But i simply dont have the speed/stamina to single tap 100bpm/or long 190+ bpm long streams.....
What am i doing wrong?

Because i see scrubs in osu! that cant read shit or have shit accuaracy which are able to stream freedom dive speed...
Soarezi

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Like before...
I have the accuaracy, the reading ability

But i simply dont have the speed/stamina to single tap 100bpm/or long 190+ bpm long streams.....
What am i doing wrong?

Because i see scrubs in osu! that cant read shit or have shit accuaracy which are able to stream freedom dive speed...
People have different muscles. Only way to improve your speed is to play fast maps, that's all i can think of. There are no magical ways to improve your speed.
You can try fingerlifting too rofl
Gretsch
Those people are probably using left click/x to stream
[NanoAI]
I've been getting good grades on my songs but my accuracy keeps falling down still. Can anyone explain this? :(
Rorik
Well I've started to notice 2 main problems I'm having, firstly 2 singles placed on top of one another then moves to a different spot and again 2 on and on, all of these are at a consistent 1/2 beat apart. Is there any advice for not rushing the second note of each of those, and getting it to feel more consistent? Apart from practice since I can't seem to find any good maps to practice it on. And secondly streams that are spaced so that they are not at all covered up by the previous note. I can't seem to manage the timing of fingers vs mouse movement.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Rorik wrote:

Well I've started to notice 2 main problems I'm having, firstly 2 singles placed on top of one another then moves to a different spot and again 2 on and on, all of these are at a consistent 1/2 beat apart. Is there any advice for not rushing the second note of each of those, and getting it to feel more consistent? Apart from practice since I can't seem to find any good maps to practice it on. And secondly streams that are spaced so that they are not at all covered up by the previous note. I can't seem to manage the timing of fingers vs mouse movement.
If you can't find something, find a song with constant 1/2 or 1/4 beats at a bpm you like and just map what you want. Really I only ever noticed the first problem when there is a huge jump between the stacks; sounds like a habit you'll learn to get out of over time honestly. As for spaced streams, you're pretty fucked honestly, everyone is.
show more