How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
740
show more
boat
Don't waste your time grinding one map if not for a high rank on it particularly. Your muscle memory needs to know more than two maps to become good overall and not only on said maps in particular. Spend a bit of time practicing certain patterns if you like, but doing nothing but freedom dive all day quite frankly wont teach you anything.
TocoToucan
How to learn reading maps like these?
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/135804
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50131
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/45306
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/120030

I'm trying to read and play these maps like usual AR9 TV-size maps, but it doesn't work. I'm looking at approach circles and objects in general, but there are too many circles on my screen at the same time and I don't understand how to play the map(I can play with HT, but after turning HT off I'm still the same low-skilled toucan).
I know that it is unreal to learn something by not doing it, but Retry-kun doesn't help me.

some of my tries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9XxTIFlb8A (passed, but I'm not able to repeat it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98iSnvqQ7bQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYg9hH2bxqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJIaR3qvKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6cToLjsL3k
Sotodashi
Sorta feels like I've run into into a wall, even though the probability of that being true is not really that high.
Oinari-sama

TocoToucan wrote:

How to learn reading maps like these?
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/135804
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50131
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/45306
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/120030

I'm trying to read and play these maps like usual AR9 TV-size maps, but it doesn't work. I'm looking at approach circles and objects in general, but there are too many circles on my screen at the same time and I don't understand how to play the map(I can play with HT, but after turning HT off I'm still the same low-skilled toucan).
I know that it is unreal to learn something by not doing it, but Retry-kun doesn't help me.

some of my tries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9XxTIFlb8A (passed, but I'm not able to repeat it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98iSnvqQ7bQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYg9hH2bxqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJIaR3qvKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6cToLjsL3k
Try to play maps of lower BPM and less complex patterns as a starter. For example Nordic Stars - Crying In the Rain.

One usually learns faster when one plays something that is just beyond his/her level, so expect to Fail every song. It's important to gain experience at this stage so make friend with NF and just keep playing.

Don't spam just a single map though, I find having a variety of maps helped me improve faster. Once you get used to reading AR9 in maps like the example above, you can move onto faster/more complicated maps. One thing at a time ;)
Fenarth

Sotodashi wrote:

Sorta feels like I've run into into a wall, even though the probability of that being true is not really that high.
I feel like I hit a wall as well as well ;_;
I have a really hard time FCing maps because I miss random easy notes in the middle of the song
Its a really consistent problem and really annoying

Also I had no idea how osu worked and I played for fun so for my first 500 plays or so I did really hard songs I liked with no-fail on and killed my accuracy rating with 50-70%ers

I also have a really big issue when songs change tempo because the approach circles get funky


However by far my biggest problem is when notes appear on notes that are still there. I fail these every time and I usually have to go into edit mode and view the parts at 0.5 speed and memorize it or it just wont happen
Oinari-sama

Fenarth wrote:

However by far my biggest problem is when notes appear on notes that are still there. I fail these every time and I usually have to go into edit mode and view the parts at 0.5 speed and memorize it or it just wont happen
Here's a tip for dealing with those stacked notes: learn to read the approach circles like counting ripples on water surface.

Whenever you see a bunch of notes stacked together, pay attention to the approach circles and you'll find them coming towards the centre of the stack, as if you're watching ripples in a pond after someone drop a stone into it (well.. the reverse of that). The distance between each "ring" corresponds to the hit timing. The denser the rings, the faster you have to hit them and vice versa.

Once you get the hang of the first few stacks in a map, you should be able to do the rest without too much effort. See if that helps.
Anonymous_Osu_Player
I think the best way to improve is by playing HR and DT more.
It'll improve Accuracy of hit, Accuracy of jump, Reaction of approach circles, all that you need to become better.
justin3528

Fenarth wrote:

I also have a really big issue when songs change tempo because the approach circles get funky

However by far my biggest problem is when notes appear on notes that are still there. I fail these every time and I usually have to go into edit mode and view the parts at 0.5 speed and memorize it or it just wont happen
When I first started I found I had similar problems, so I asked my friend for some help and he said to just listen to the song. It sounded kinda stupid at the time but I realised that I was focusing too much on the hit circles rather than following the actual song. I found that I could concentrate more on my cursor while having my accuracy better than before. Of course it does help a lot to know the song before hand, but if you follow the speed of the song in stacks and know when it ends, you don't really need to know how many hit circles there actually are X_X
Tshemmp

Anonymous_Osu_Player wrote:

I think the best way to improve is by playing HR and DT more.
It'll improve Accuracy of hit, Accuracy of jump, Reaction of approach circles, all that you need to become better.
But it will worsen your reading skills on lower ARs, even up to the point where you have trouble reading AR 9... Might be good to play low AR maps once in a while I guess...
thelewa


made a video that can teach anyone to stream more accurately
Bells
Any streaming advice for mouse only players?
TRIYP
For streaming with mouse only I can only stress that practice is by far the most important thing you can do for improving your streaming ability. JUST PLAY MORE. Find your most comfortable bpm range(for me it was 160-180) and warm up with maps in this range. After you feel like you've "mastered" this range slowly expand it to include bpms outside of it. i.e. don't expect to jump from 160 to 200 just because you do well on 160. Increase it AND decrease the range in intervals of 5 bpm or so and you'll get the hang of streaming. The low bpm streams will give you more control and the higher bpm streams will help with your speed. After a while of just doing streams, reading them becomes significantly easier and playing them will be worlds easier.
tldr; just practice.
- L A U R A -
I have to train my stamina usw....
but just try to fc harder maps than you play now and you get better, or play with diffrent mods.
my baddest mod is flashlight, so sometimes i play just with flashlight T-T (didn't get better... fuck FL)
Fenarth
I finally beat http://osu.ppy.sh/s/22276

:D big milestone for me this thread has helped alot especially the bit about the squares

I think the best advice I got in this thread was to play HD for a bit, it really helped with my accuracy and overall play, I went back to no-mod though it simply isnt as fun
CruzadoqL
I need some advice to improve at hd+hr on hard maps, I really suck ;_;
Bells

Crxz4do wrote:

I need some advice to improve at hd+hr on hard maps, I really suck ;_;
I find its a lot of muscle memory and just remembering the parts that trip you up
Callum
~
laport
If you think you should be higher than another player, try smoking more weed!
TRIYP

Callum Melville wrote:

I can't seem to go any faster than 100bpm with singles and I'm having trouble understanding the elbow method. Does anyone have a different explanation or technique?
What I did to increase my single tapping speed is just slightly work on increasing your max bpm by small amounts. You say you can't go faster than 100bpm, so find maps that have 100 bpm singles and play those. Then find maps with like 102 bpm singles. Play those maps until you feel as though you can single tap 102 consistently. Rinse and repeat until you reach your desired bpm. There is no magical way to gain speed. You just need to train yourself up.
mer_old_1
How do i deal with like 10-15 circles in the same location? Always loses it at this point... I use mouse while playing.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply