forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
FlameseeK

enik wrote:

Yep, don't force yourself to FC every song, though you can try getting as higher combo as possible, but don't retry after every miss. If you know you won't FC a song after 2-4 retries - move to the next one. 95% accuracy means a map is still slighty above your level, songs which you can pass with 98-99% accuracy are what you want to FC.
Whenever a song is easy enough for me to get 98-99% in the first place, I usually go for an SS and not just a full combo. Yeah, I probably shouldn't force myself to FC everything, but still... A and S are so close, don't you think? All I need to do is not miss (easier said than done ofc).

It feels like FCs are a different skill set, closely related to accuracy, but not quite exactly the same thing.
enik

FlameseeK wrote:

It feels like FCs are a different skill set, closely related to accuracy, but not quite exactly the same thing.
FC is just about how consistent you are. If you're getting misses because of pressing keys at the wrong time - then you have to improve your rhythm/reading abilities, if you miss a note - it's obviously about your aim, if you do poor on streams - train streams. If you can't say why exactly do you miss or everything above together - then it's probably because a song is too fast for you (AR or BPM).
Accuracy itself kinda doesn't affect ability to FC at all since you still can FC with 90% acc.
Almost

FlameseeK wrote:

enik wrote:

Yep, don't force yourself to FC every song, though you can try getting as higher combo as possible, but don't retry after every miss. If you know you won't FC a song after 2-4 retries - move to the next one. 95% accuracy means a map is still slighty above your level, songs which you can pass with 98-99% accuracy are what you want to FC.
Whenever a song is easy enough for me to get 98-99% in the first place, I usually go for an SS and not just a full combo. Yeah, I probably shouldn't force myself to FC everything, but still... A and S are so close, don't you think? All I need to do is not miss (easier said than done ofc).

Accuracy can also have to do with the map as well. I have gotten plenty of 99%+ on OD8 songs but there are some maps that are OD6 that I struggle to get even 97% on.
Oinari-sama

FlameseeK wrote:

So, I've been working on my accuracy for a while. Even though I go for 95% accuracy or higher, it's not easy to full combo stuff at all. My accuracy is not that high all the time, but it's kinda frustrating when I can generally get like 90/95% and not actually fc a beatmap. Sometimes I get one or two misses at the beginning and know that it will mess up my score even if I play everything else perfectly, which makes it very tempting to retry right away.

(before you ask, I'm not talking about ultra-insane beatmaps, I'm talking about hard / easier insanes song)

Do you think I should ignore these misses and keep on playing the song even if I know I won't beat my best score? Is there anything I can do to improve my ability to full combo songs with more consistency besides the obvious (duh practice)?

Example: Just got 96.86% accuracy on this beatmap http://osu.ppy.sh/b/137111
The insane difficulty looks like hard to me instead. It's a relatively easy song, but I missed 3 freaking times. I think my accuracy was actually quite high for the amount of misses I got, so it feels like I need to work on something else to pull off full combos more easily.
I know how you feel exactly because I play normal/hard maps often too. It is almost too tempting to SS them all, but what I experienced is that it drains away my stamina while retrying the same song over and over and that affects my performance on other songs later.

What I do now is that I set a "quota" for FC everyday (eg need to turn 2 A/B maps into S per day), and a cap on how many times I'm allowed to retry a song (eg 5 retries for <20s, then 2 retries after that). I will sort the songs by Rank and play through them relaxed, till I find one that's "totally FC-able but messed up due to stupid mistakes." Then it's time to slap your face, focus and try to "fufill the quota."

Others may laugh when they read this but that's just how I play :oops:
she_old

she wrote:

sticky pls
FlameseeK

kriers wrote:

Since I really wanted to play like the best keyboard players, I decided I'd do whatever it takes to get there eventually. To my surprise, I was forced down to 120, one hundred and twenty bpm if I was going to maintain an accurate stream using keyboard. I had just finished mad machine at 90% the other day and now I realized the only way to hit a perfect stream was going that low ._. 10 months later and I'm slowly gaining stamina, completing long 180 bpm streams and gradually increasing my maximum bpm while maintaining perfect accuracy of course. Good thing I can play mouse only or I'd never bother ever.

tl;dr: spam =/= real streaming ability :(
I just made a 115 bpm beatmap with anything but streams consisting of stacked hitcircles. As you suggested in another thread, I choose OD 8. Damn, I was hoping getting 95% wasn't going to be too hard, but I can only get about 80%. If I disregard 50's and misses, 1 hitcircle out of every 4 is a 100 when I'm doing well, otherwise it's 1 out of 3. When I try another song I made with streams, same OD but 140 bpm, it's much easier (though I still get 100's, but definitely less than in the other beatmap).

I guess it's supposed to be harder because it requires much more solid technique to follow the rhythm properly.
Bieras
I have problem with single tapping even short streams. I am missing in the end of the stream because my finger is somehow blocking and cant move anymore, lol. Have you got any tips for me?
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Bieras wrote:

I have problem with single tapping even short streams. I am missing in the end of the stream because my finger is somehow blocking and cant move anymore, lol. Have you got any tips for me?
To be fair you should probably be alternating if you're doing streams. It's better to learn to stream slowly too than singletap slower streams, that way you learn rhythm and can start singletapping the streams when you get that part down.
FlameseeK
I've recently bought a Wacom Connect to see how tablets work. I thought it was going to be a little more intuitive though.

If you play with a mouse, claw grip or fingertip work with mid and high sens, whereas palm grip is advised for low sens. Pretty straightforward. If you play with a tablet, the way you hold your pen and position your hand is still too... vague.

I've noticed most top players use full area + windowed. I really like full screen, so I decided to reduce my tablet area instead. It's not much different from my mouse dpi - just enough to control it without having to move my arm. Maximum precision without arm movement.

Now, I've noticed some players talking about hovering vs dragging. A lot of people say hovering is better. For real? It feels like I don't have enough support to have steady cursor control when I hover. I even try to touch my tablet with my middle finger while hovering, but it's like I'm trying to compensate for a problem I shouldn't have because dragging is still steadier. But dragging, just like writing, is going wear the tip of my pen... sure, I have 3 other "tips" (w/e its called) left, but I'm still not sure dragging is the best way to go. And I'm not sure if it would damage the surface of my tablet either (that is, affect its functionality).
buny
it just takes practice and getting used to
Akisun
These all sound like interesting advice for someone like myself, since I'm just barely getting started. I think I will continue to practice when I have time and just enjoy the game.
FlameseeK

buny wrote:

I don't know which is the better technique in the long run. Right now, I see no reason to hover besides durability and I'm not sure that's enough to make it worth it.
buny
took me a while to go from dragging -> hovering but it was worth it
Topic Starter
jesse1412

FlameseeK wrote:

buny wrote:

I don't know which is the better technique in the long run. Right now, I see no reason to hover besides durability and I'm not sure that's enough to make it worth it.
You have less limitations to your movement, every bit of friction caused from touching the pen to the tablet is going to make your movement slower, harder and it will get your hand into weird angles you don't want it to be in.

But either works fine really. Can't think of a "pro" player who touches the tablet though.
buny
it makes snapping incredibly easy
-Soba-
does pen grip matter?
buny
i'd say pen grip would only matter but only in terms of area size

because tighter grip = more control but slower but loose = more speed less control
Naikaze
No, loose more control.
JAKACHAN

jesus1412 wrote:

You have less limitations to your movement, every bit of friction caused from touching the pen to the tablet is going to make your movement slower, harder and it will get your hand into weird angles you don't want it to be in.

But either works fine really. Can't think of a "pro" player who touches the tablet though.
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/remilia-scarlet
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/yodasnipe

Both touch.
kriers

JAKACHAN wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/remilia-scarlet
http://osu.ppy.sh/u/yodasnipe

Both touch.
GensokyoAkuma FC'd BD's Mittens and a bunch of other crazy shit with touch style. His aim capability is one of the best in Europe.
FlameseeK
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks touch is good. I'm not sure if it's even possible to hover at the same place without involuntarily moving the pen. Right now, it feels harder to follow sliders with as much perfection as I do when I touch or play with a mouse. Spinners become much trickier too. I aim for the center of the notes, but when I hover my pinpoint accuracy seems less less precise.

I know things become much easier with practice, but I wonder how much of this is possible to overcome. Some of these things might be an inherent disadvantage of hovering, even if they're not much of a problem once you get really good. I guess I'll have to keep on trying both styles for the time being and see how they feel.
-Soba-

FlameseeK wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks touch is good. I'm not sure if it's even possible to hover at the same place without involuntarily moving the pen.
Studies have shown that Cookiezi's hover precision rivals most low end computers
JAKACHAN

-Soba- wrote:

Studies have shown that Cookiezi's hover precision rivals most low end computers
The scary part is I could believe this.
XI Carrillo IX
You can not decrease area size, if you are using a mouse. . . (Jump) It just takes practice no other way around it. 8-)
buny
sensitivity is virtually the same...
Kanye West
GensokyoAkuma also has the weirdest grip ever
Bweh
Oh great improvement thread

Do you have any tips on 280+ BPM fast singles? They're pretty overwhelming
Zare

Brian OA wrote:

Oh great improvement thread

Do you have any tips on 280+ BPM fast singles? They're pretty overwhelming
Practice
LunarSakuya
When I began, someone told me James Training......
Oinari-sama
Seriously, can we have a rule that bans/deletes posts like "play more" or "practise" in a "How to improve" thread?

People ask for genuine help in a "How to improve" thread and a short, generic answer like "play more" just doesn't help. If you genuinely have something to contribute, you should give more specific advice such as:
  1. Practise *** maps and work your way up
  2. *** and *** may be good for improving ***
  3. Do *** instead of ***
  4. *** may be too hard to jump in straight away, try *** first
I'll just make it clear that I have no grudge against those who posted short generic answer like "play more." It's just I'm sick and tired of seeing them since they bump a thread without offering much real help to the topic.
Zare
Singletapping was explained in the OP tho. There is nothing else to say. He should get some >280 BPM maps and play them singletapping. The more he plays, the faster he will improve. Asking how to improve in a thread which explains how to improve is kinda... contradictory.
Bieras
Have you got any maps to practice triples and streams? I really suck at it. :(
Oinari-sama
Ragnys
Wow, im new to osu and was seaching for that type of topic, thanks guys ^^ thats a nice community here!
kriers
Congratz on sticky! This will be really helpful for new players in the future. :)
Rokk
Quoted from a locked topic:

Wishy wrote:

He doesn't even play standard, jesus.

This is what I hate of this kind of threads, you always get lots of people who can't even play Insanes (or barely) comment and pretty much confuse people.
It says right there on my profile that I play Standard the most. I just have slightly more pp in Taiko.

Why do people always assume I don't play standard? Can't I play Taiko, CtB and o!m a few times without people assuming I don't play Standard? :?
lolcubes
That topic was locked because the topic itself can be found here. Don't go off topic here if possible though.
buny
Opinions from lower ranks isn't as credible as those with higher ranks

You said you have no problem with squares yet your rank is 5 digits; you most likely don't play maps that have difficult patterns yet.
Rokk

buny wrote:

Opinions from lower ranks isn't as credible as those with higher ranks

You said you have no problem with squares yet your rank is 5 digits; you most likely don't play maps that have difficult patterns yet.
I do actually play Insanes and maps with "hard" patterns. I'm not all that good, but I'm obviously not going to get PP and thus high ranks if I get rank #10000 out of 14000 on an Insane song I can not quite comfortably pass.

I've encountered plenty of squares, and the only pattern which really makes me fail is super-spaced high-speed streams. 99% of my fails are caused by me sucking in general, not because of one particular pattern.
buny
most insanes are easy

the squares people talk about are ones such as in atama no taisou
show more