forum

How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Dekonare

buny wrote:

Has anybody actually improved from this?
Yup, just keep practicing and practicing.
buny
Oh I didn't know you improved by practicing.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

buny wrote:

Oh I didn't know you improved by practicing.
That's why I made this thread 8-)
Aqo
practicing certain things made me worse at other things

jesse what do

halp
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Aqo wrote:

practicing certain things made me worse at other things

jesse what do

halp
Practice suicide so you can be better at life 8-)

EDIT: Changelog: -100% kawaii
+100% cool
Zakdawg
Aren't there any tips regarding how to improve overall endurance and finger speed?

That would be most welcome as I personally cant accurately stream faster than 180 bpm :(
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Zakdawg wrote:

Aren't there any tips regarding how to improve overall endurance and finger speed?

That would be most welcome as I personally cant accurately stream faster than 180 bpm :(
Personally I'd say short fast streams help, but really it is just practice.
buny
lift n strem 500bpm
she_old
sticky pls
Dekonare
Lift lift stream lift lift stream...
FlameseeK
I'm not sure if what I'm gonna say happens only to me, but I believe other players might experience at least similar issues. Sorry for the wall of text down below.

Basically, I started out as a mouse only user. It was the most intuitive thing at that time and easier than trying to use the keyboard + mouse. Then I ran into a big problem - my mouse grip vs "moving triplets" and streams. When I played mouse only, I noticed that I "lock" my mouse movement when I click for coordination and stability - this made triplets and streams super difficult. I lose stability and my cursor ends up shaking too much if I don't lock my mouse position because I'm a claw grip/fingertip kind of player. I'm pretty sure a palm grip would "solve" this issue, but that's out of the question at this point. I wanted to know out of curiosity though - are there ANY really high level mouse only claw grip players who do streams without problems?

This is the reason I decided to switch to mouse + keyboard. Triplets are pretty easy to do now. Yeah, I got better, so even if I play without a keyboard it's not too hard anymore, but it's still a bit tricky when it's not a static triplet. Streaming is way easier too. However, I found out I have a new issue - jumps.

Remember when I said I "lock" my mouse position when I only use my mouse? I've recently come to realize that this makes sick jumps much easier to do. It's much harder to coordinate mouse + keyboard when doing jumps, like if I miss a single note I usually lose track the pattern (and my accuracy is just worse this way too). It's like my mouse moves in a different way if I do jumps with mouse only... a better way. I love to play some insanely hard songs on slow... when playing airman it took me quite a while to get my jumps with mouse + keyboard close to the level of my jumps with mouse only. And I'd never been able to get to the first break in the big black on slow because of those sick jumps, but yesterday I noticed that I actually COULD get to that part if I used my mouse button to do the jumps. My "jumping accuracy" feels smoother this way. Is this by any means normal?

My problem is that a hybrid technique like this might make things confusing because I always need to decide how to play certain parts. I'd rather have a reliable style than having to worry about how to practice and having a less consistent technique. But I'm afraid my keyboard + mouse jumps might not be able to catch up with my mouse only jumps... I wonder if I should keep on practicing keyboard + mouse exclusively, maybe try to retrain my muscle memory for jumps in a way or something... Any thoughts or similar experiences? Any words of encouragement towards either style are appreciated.

TLDR - Moving triplets and streaming feel harder with a mouse only claw grip / fingertip style, but sick jumps feel harder with keyboard + mouse. Not sure if I should work on a hybrid technique or keep practicing sick jumps with keyboard + mouse. :(
Almost

FlameseeK wrote:

I'm not sure if what I'm gonna say happens only to me, but I believe other players might experience at least similar issues. Sorry for the wall of text down below.

Basically, I started out as a mouse only user. It was the most intuitive thing at that time and easier than trying to use the keyboard + mouse. Then I ran into a big problem - my mouse grip vs "moving triplets" and streams. When I played mouse only, I noticed that I "lock" my mouse movement when I click for coordination and stability - this made triplets and streams super difficult. I lose stability and my cursor ends up shaking too much if I don't lock my mouse position because I'm a claw grip/fingertip kind of player. I'm pretty sure a palm grip would "solve" this issue, but that's out of the question at this point. I wanted to know out of curiosity though - are there ANY really high level mouse only claw grip players who do streams without problems?

This is the reason I decided to switch to mouse + keyboard. Triplets are pretty easy to do now. Yeah, I got better, so even if I play without a keyboard it's not too hard anymore, but it's still a bit tricky when it's not a static triplet. Streaming is way easier too. However, I found out I have a new issue - jumps.

Remember when I said I "lock" my mouse position when I only use my mouse? I've recently come to realize that this makes sick jumps much easier to do. It's much harder to coordinate mouse + keyboard when doing jumps, like if I miss a single note I usually lose track the pattern (and my accuracy is just worse this way too). It's like my mouse moves in a different way if I do jumps with mouse only... a better way. I love to play some insanely hard songs on slow... when playing airman it took me quite a while to get my jumps with mouse + keyboard close to the level of my jumps with mouse only. And I'd never been able to get to the first break in the big black on slow because of those sick jumps, but yesterday I noticed that I actually COULD get to that part if I used my mouse button to do the jumps. My "jumping accuracy" feels smoother this way. Is this by any means normal?

My problem is that a hybrid technique like this might make things confusing because I always need to decide how to play certain parts. I'd rather have a reliable style than having to worry about how to practice and having a less consistent technique. But I'm afraid my keyboard + mouse jumps might not be able to catch up with my mouse only jumps... I wonder if I should keep on practicing keyboard + mouse exclusively, maybe try to retrain my muscle memory for jumps in a way or something... Any thoughts or similar experiences? Any words of encouragement towards either style are appreciated.

TLDR - Moving triplets and streaming feel harder with a mouse only claw grip / fingertip style, but sick jumps feel harder with keyboard + mouse. Not sure if I should work on a hybrid technique or keep practicing sick jumps with keyboard + mouse. :(
You could just use your keyboard for streaming only and your mouse for everything else...
FlameseeK
I don't regret switching to keyboard + mouse,the only thing that is truly harder as of now is jumps. The weird thing is, I should be doing jumps just as well as I do without the keyboard by now since I made this switch quite a while ago. I'd say more than 50% of the time I've spent playing osu so far has been with a keyboard to say the least. That's what baffles me.

Is this a natural disadvantage of using the keyboard? I'd like to hear what kind of experience other players have with this. It's kind of frustrating to have practiced more with the keyboard and still do worse jumps.

EDIT: As for having a hybrid technique, there are some really crazy songs out there and I'm afraid it will mess things up in the future.
Oinari-sama

FlameseeK wrote:

I don't regret switching to keyboard + mouse,the only thing that is truly harder as of now is jumps. The weird thing is, I should be doing jumps just as well as I do without the keyboard by now since I made this switch quite a while ago. I'd say more than 50% of the time I've spent playing osu so far has been with a keyboard to say the least. That's what baffles me.

Is this a natural disadvantage of using the keyboard? I'd like to hear what kind of experience other players have with this. It's kind of frustrating to have practiced more with the keyboard and still do worse jumps.

EDIT: As for having a hybrid technique, there are some really crazy songs out there and I'm afraid it will mess things up in the future.
I think the reason why you feel that it's easier to do jumps with mouse button is because of extra surface friction. Surface friction is a function of normal force applied to the surface, ie the more down force you apply to the mouse the larger the frictional force you experience. The down force resulting from your fingers pushing mouse downwards (also having a firmer mouse grip thereby applying extra down force) increases friction when you push the button and acts as a break when you approach a note.

When you switch to pure keyboard, you don't need to apply as much down force (since you don't have to push the mouse buttons anymore) and hence you've lost that extra friction as "breaks." Are you overshooting beats at the moment?

Unfortunately I'm only a low ranked 4-digit player so I can't give you any real advice on how to get better at keyboard. Maybe adapting your mouse grip is the key to getting that "break" back?
Maneuver

enquire wrote:

FlameseeK wrote:

You could just use your keyboard for streaming only and your mouse for everything else...
Tablet ?
Topic Starter
jesse1412
I think this thread should be stickied, we really do get a thread a day about "how can I improve at X".
kriers
remove anything that's not serious or an inside joke in it and I think it has a good chance of getting stickied
Topic Starter
jesse1412

kriers wrote:

remove anything that's not serious or an inside joke in it and I think it has a good chance of getting stickied
I think I pretty much did.
kriers
Down to actually streaming. I like to split streams into two categories, long and fast (sexual joke goes here).
Not quite yet ;p
Aqo

kriers wrote:

kriers wrote:

Down to actually streaming. I like to split streams into two categories, long and fast (sexual joke goes here).
Not quite yet ;p
It is sticky

dun dun tish
FlameseeK
So, I've been working on my accuracy for a while. Even though I go for 95% accuracy or higher, it's not easy to full combo stuff at all. My accuracy is not that high all the time, but it's kinda frustrating when I can generally get like 90/95% and not actually fc a beatmap. Sometimes I get one or two misses at the beginning and know that it will mess up my score even if I play everything else perfectly, which makes it very tempting to retry right away.

(before you ask, I'm not talking about ultra-insane beatmaps, I'm talking about hard / easier insanes song)

Do you think I should ignore these misses and keep on playing the song even if I know I won't beat my best score? Is there anything I can do to improve my ability to full combo songs with more consistency besides the obvious (duh practice)?

Example: Just got 96.86% accuracy on this beatmap http://osu.ppy.sh/b/137111
The insane difficulty looks like hard to me instead. It's a relatively easy song, but I missed 3 freaking times. I think my accuracy was actually quite high for the amount of misses I got, so it feels like I need to work on something else to pull off full combos more easily.
enik

FlameseeK wrote:

Do you think I should ignore these misses and keep on playing the song even if I know I won't beat my best score?
Yep, don't force yourself to FC every song, though you can try getting as higher combo as possible, but don't retry after every miss. If you know you won't FC a song after 2-4 retries - move to the next one. 95% accuracy means a map is still slighty above your level, songs which you can pass with 98-99% accuracy are what you want to FC.
FlameseeK

enik wrote:

Yep, don't force yourself to FC every song, though you can try getting as higher combo as possible, but don't retry after every miss. If you know you won't FC a song after 2-4 retries - move to the next one. 95% accuracy means a map is still slighty above your level, songs which you can pass with 98-99% accuracy are what you want to FC.
Whenever a song is easy enough for me to get 98-99% in the first place, I usually go for an SS and not just a full combo. Yeah, I probably shouldn't force myself to FC everything, but still... A and S are so close, don't you think? All I need to do is not miss (easier said than done ofc).

It feels like FCs are a different skill set, closely related to accuracy, but not quite exactly the same thing.
enik

FlameseeK wrote:

It feels like FCs are a different skill set, closely related to accuracy, but not quite exactly the same thing.
FC is just about how consistent you are. If you're getting misses because of pressing keys at the wrong time - then you have to improve your rhythm/reading abilities, if you miss a note - it's obviously about your aim, if you do poor on streams - train streams. If you can't say why exactly do you miss or everything above together - then it's probably because a song is too fast for you (AR or BPM).
Accuracy itself kinda doesn't affect ability to FC at all since you still can FC with 90% acc.
Almost

FlameseeK wrote:

enik wrote:

Whenever a song is easy enough for me to get 98-99% in the first place, I usually go for an SS and not just a full combo. Yeah, I probably shouldn't force myself to FC everything, but still... A and S are so close, don't you think? All I need to do is not miss (easier said than done ofc).

Accuracy can also have to do with the map as well. I have gotten plenty of 99%+ on OD8 songs but there are some maps that are OD6 that I struggle to get even 97% on.
Oinari-sama

FlameseeK wrote:

So, I've been working on my accuracy for a while. Even though I go for 95% accuracy or higher, it's not easy to full combo stuff at all. My accuracy is not that high all the time, but it's kinda frustrating when I can generally get like 90/95% and not actually fc a beatmap. Sometimes I get one or two misses at the beginning and know that it will mess up my score even if I play everything else perfectly, which makes it very tempting to retry right away.

(before you ask, I'm not talking about ultra-insane beatmaps, I'm talking about hard / easier insanes song)

Do you think I should ignore these misses and keep on playing the song even if I know I won't beat my best score? Is there anything I can do to improve my ability to full combo songs with more consistency besides the obvious (duh practice)?

Example: Just got 96.86% accuracy on this beatmap http://osu.ppy.sh/b/137111
The insane difficulty looks like hard to me instead. It's a relatively easy song, but I missed 3 freaking times. I think my accuracy was actually quite high for the amount of misses I got, so it feels like I need to work on something else to pull off full combos more easily.
I know how you feel exactly because I play normal/hard maps often too. It is almost too tempting to SS them all, but what I experienced is that it drains away my stamina while retrying the same song over and over and that affects my performance on other songs later.

What I do now is that I set a "quota" for FC everyday (eg need to turn 2 A/B maps into S per day), and a cap on how many times I'm allowed to retry a song (eg 5 retries for <20s, then 2 retries after that). I will sort the songs by Rank and play through them relaxed, till I find one that's "totally FC-able but messed up due to stupid mistakes." Then it's time to slap your face, focus and try to "fufill the quota."

Others may laugh when they read this but that's just how I play :oops:
she_old

she wrote:

sticky pls
FlameseeK

kriers wrote:

Since I really wanted to play like the best keyboard players, I decided I'd do whatever it takes to get there eventually. To my surprise, I was forced down to 120, one hundred and twenty bpm if I was going to maintain an accurate stream using keyboard. I had just finished mad machine at 90% the other day and now I realized the only way to hit a perfect stream was going that low ._. 10 months later and I'm slowly gaining stamina, completing long 180 bpm streams and gradually increasing my maximum bpm while maintaining perfect accuracy of course. Good thing I can play mouse only or I'd never bother ever.

tl;dr: spam =/= real streaming ability :(
I just made a 115 bpm beatmap with anything but streams consisting of stacked hitcircles. As you suggested in another thread, I choose OD 8. Damn, I was hoping getting 95% wasn't going to be too hard, but I can only get about 80%. If I disregard 50's and misses, 1 hitcircle out of every 4 is a 100 when I'm doing well, otherwise it's 1 out of 3. When I try another song I made with streams, same OD but 140 bpm, it's much easier (though I still get 100's, but definitely less than in the other beatmap).

I guess it's supposed to be harder because it requires much more solid technique to follow the rhythm properly.
Bieras
I have problem with single tapping even short streams. I am missing in the end of the stream because my finger is somehow blocking and cant move anymore, lol. Have you got any tips for me?
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Bieras wrote:

I have problem with single tapping even short streams. I am missing in the end of the stream because my finger is somehow blocking and cant move anymore, lol. Have you got any tips for me?
To be fair you should probably be alternating if you're doing streams. It's better to learn to stream slowly too than singletap slower streams, that way you learn rhythm and can start singletapping the streams when you get that part down.
FlameseeK
I've recently bought a Wacom Connect to see how tablets work. I thought it was going to be a little more intuitive though.

If you play with a mouse, claw grip or fingertip work with mid and high sens, whereas palm grip is advised for low sens. Pretty straightforward. If you play with a tablet, the way you hold your pen and position your hand is still too... vague.

I've noticed most top players use full area + windowed. I really like full screen, so I decided to reduce my tablet area instead. It's not much different from my mouse dpi - just enough to control it without having to move my arm. Maximum precision without arm movement.

Now, I've noticed some players talking about hovering vs dragging. A lot of people say hovering is better. For real? It feels like I don't have enough support to have steady cursor control when I hover. I even try to touch my tablet with my middle finger while hovering, but it's like I'm trying to compensate for a problem I shouldn't have because dragging is still steadier. But dragging, just like writing, is going wear the tip of my pen... sure, I have 3 other "tips" (w/e its called) left, but I'm still not sure dragging is the best way to go. And I'm not sure if it would damage the surface of my tablet either (that is, affect its functionality).
buny
it just takes practice and getting used to
Akisun
These all sound like interesting advice for someone like myself, since I'm just barely getting started. I think I will continue to practice when I have time and just enjoy the game.
FlameseeK

buny wrote:

I don't know which is the better technique in the long run. Right now, I see no reason to hover besides durability and I'm not sure that's enough to make it worth it.
buny
took me a while to go from dragging -> hovering but it was worth it
Topic Starter
jesse1412

FlameseeK wrote:

buny wrote:

I don't know which is the better technique in the long run. Right now, I see no reason to hover besides durability and I'm not sure that's enough to make it worth it.
You have less limitations to your movement, every bit of friction caused from touching the pen to the tablet is going to make your movement slower, harder and it will get your hand into weird angles you don't want it to be in.

But either works fine really. Can't think of a "pro" player who touches the tablet though.
buny
it makes snapping incredibly easy
-Soba-
does pen grip matter?
buny
i'd say pen grip would only matter but only in terms of area size

because tighter grip = more control but slower but loose = more speed less control
Naikaze
No, loose more control.
show more