forum

Taiko World Cup #3 (Concluded - Taiwan wins)

posted
Total Posts
show more
BrokenArrow
What did I miss?
OnosakiHito
Let's just say Ozzy lost his face. :D
AnFace

OnosakiHito wrote:

oh no I hope he finds it
Yowane _ Haku

AnFace wrote:

OnosakiHito wrote:

oh no I hope he finds it
In the Chinese ‘lianna’ can be translated as 'where is the face?'

:D
totoco

OnosakiHito wrote:

m0ar. tell us m0ar, bitte :D
(or give a link)
Ca Calne

kazukisinx wrote:

Kazuki's DC's too OP
This koneejo missing only for play the tie breaker -.-
Report my team intentionally feeding pls thanks
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i know he plan that already :D
OnosakiHito
Mappool 1-3 is out!
Find it here: p/1800621

Sorry for the delay.
Flanster
Installer link added, click Browse and select your Songs folder, wait for the installer to extract, when its done, just F5 in osu!
Two Fruit Cakes
The songs thus far have been ridiculously easy for a tournament. It's almost insulting.
Makar

Two Fruit Cakes wrote:

The songs thus far have been ridiculously easy for a tournament. It's almost insulting.
This will change in the knockout stages.
Kuro

Makar wrote:

Two Fruit Cakes wrote:

This will change in the knockout stages.
inb4 Taikosaki and firce maps everywhere in knockout stages
Samwais
Heard Ozzy's singing just now.

I was moved to tears ;w;
XK2238
Gangnam Style should be HD+FL

jk
Kuro

Flandre XKarlet wrote:

Gangnam Style should be HD+FL

jk
lol, I would die with just FL
Niko-nyan
and i think i hate the gangnam :D
Makar
Thailand never showed up for their match (nobody, waited 50 min), so USA B wins 4:0
Ca Calne
nice tiebreaker map :3
[Luanny]
Only time <333
Nashmun
When are the group statistic sheet going to be updated ? It would be nice to keep it up to date before round 3 starts ;)
MrDonut
Still no Azis in mappool. Guess it will be tiebreaker for finals.
totoco

MrDonut wrote:

Still no Azis in mappool. Guess it will be tiebreaker for finals.
LOL

p.s. I want demetori maps for tiebreakers :D
Backfire
Gangnam Style? Nightcore? All these boring ass anime songs?
Come on.
Makar
Ono did the mappool for the previous two rounds, but Loctav added another mapset selector so things may change. Plus, Knockout stage is harder.
Kuro
Hmm.. I wish Remote Control was one of the DT picks, that would have been fun
HashishKabob
Are you guys running this tournament as a joke? No seriously, because there are maps in here that are as easy (if not easier) than round 1 maps here.
This is supposed to be a competition to determine the best of the best. You can't cater to everyone's needs in a competition because then it's no longer a competition, it's MLP happy sunshine tournament where everyone's fantastic and everybody wins.

If only lepy were still around =S
BrokenArrow
This is actually still round 1
What I'm trying to say is that we're still on the same stage as 2 weeks ago, therefore the maps should be on an equal level of difficulty, or am I wrong?
Nevertheless I have to say that this mappool does suck, there are tons of maps which would fit better into a world cup. inb4 you could send your own map suggestions, ikr
I'm expecting a huge difficulty jump upon reaching knockout stage
HashishKabob
Oh.. well shit. That explains it I guess.
I didn't really understand the whole "group-stage" thing since the choice selection of wording/placement on the OP makes it.. interesting to interpret. (Re-re-re-RE reading it I think I finally understand the point though.)

Why not just call the rounds Preliminary Rounds and Elimination Rounds? Sounds much better (and less confusing) than Group Stage and Knock-out Stage.

I'm gonna have to agree with BrokenArrow on this. These maps have been very disappointing to play. I can think of countless others (and I did, and I submitted my suggestions) that would have been much more effective to utilize here, ESPECIALLY if group-stage is for determining appox skill levels. These maps are pathetic and are mostly acc runs for high skilled players (makes for very boring competitive play). I also have a sneaking suspicion that once Eliminations (knock-out stage) has arrived that BOOM massive difficulty jump. I'm talking a jump from the 4-7star maps we've been playing to instant 9-12star. I'd be willing to bet money on it in fact. I'd also be willing to wager that you're going to piss off just about anyone who's left after these preliminary rounds end because of that.
Backfire

HashishKabob wrote:

Oh.. well shit. That explains it I guess.
I didn't really understand the whole "group-stage" thing since the choice selection of wording/placement on the OP makes it.. interesting to interpret. (Re-re-re-RE reading it I think I finally understand the point though.)

Why not just call the rounds Preliminary Rounds and Elimination Rounds? Sounds much better (and less confusing) than Group Stage and Knock-out Stage.
They've gotten harder in the past.

Also this is the worst map-pool so far, I didn't think we could dip deeper. It's alright though, I won't be playing till knockouts (probably).
Makar
Well hopefully next one will be better now that we have 2 mapset selectors :p
Also, read the OP, you are free to PM suggestions to Ono.
Backfire
I sent a very long list to ono the other day. I hope some will be added. I think not only maps are poor but even the songs. It needs some variety.
OnosakiHito
It seems like there are still many things unclear, so I should probably explain everything now. Sorry to letting you guys unknown, hope I can clear in this way many things,

As BrokenArrow mentioned before, we are still in the same round-phase(1-X), so that means that all maps need a similiar difficultie-spread. That's the default manager has gaved us.
Round 1-2 was easier as the other two rounds because, people were suprised that Round 1-1 has been made so hard, so we decided(or I did so) to make a higher spread from easier to harder maps. At the end it turned out that no one wants to play 7* Maps, so we(or I) switched in Mappool 1-3 back to the previous system.

Anyway, to use the system is no problem, but to find the right maps, because there are more factores which we need to take care of.
- Music genre
- Mapper it-self
- Mapping style
- Level

I do agree that there are better maps, but you need to see it from another point as well.

We could use all the good maps from the Touhou bracket, but this isn't a Touhou World-Cup. Neither it's a TV Size-World Cup or something else. Maps need to be choosen with different songs, that means sometimes, that some mappers appear just 1-2 times because they mapped just one genre, since we can't use just one or two genres in one Mappool.
That makes us to come to point two, about the Mapper who made a difficultie. We want to avoid having a certain mapper emphasize in a mappool, because we knew what happened in the TWC '12. People were upset that their maps got not choosed, but from another one about 4~5 at once. Of course I can choose from the most known mappers the maps and you know who they are. But doing this is not right. It should be self-explaing why(I hope so).
This in turn, brings us to the third point, the mapping style. Having different mappers brings us more styles into the mappool, which makes the skill-spread bigger, what means, that it is more fair to everyone to find a map he is able to play the best(A solution is not, in my opinion, to find mappers who are mapping different genres/songs/styles, because else they would appear to often as well).
So that makes us to come to the last point, the level of the maps. If the Skill-Spread is higher, you are able to play your dedicated level/skill. Of course I/we am/are endeavored to have a relatively balanced level, but under this circumstances it's not that easy as you think, especially for easier maps. :/
We lack in the community with - I say it like that - good and decent mapped easy difficulties. We do have more harder maps which are mapped from okay up to amazing, which will makes us the KO-stages probably easier for map/song-chooses.

Speaking about the KO-stages, there won't be any sudden jumps from 8* to 12* or so.

Also let me just say, that most of the recent suggested maps has been allready added 2months ago in our list, but which are right now too hard for the current Stage due to the default which is given to us, and which is actually reasonable?

I hope you understand the situation now. We are really endeavored to make it somehow enjoyable for everyone.
If you have questions just ask me.

Also thanks for the first map-suggestions.

Edit: I forgot to mention: Try just for fun for your-self to find some decent easy mapped Hatsune Miku maps. Maybe you will notice something.
HashishKabob

Backfire wrote:

I sent a very long list to ono the other day. I hope some will be added. I think not only maps are poor but even the songs. It needs some variety.
who cares about songs? what do you think this is, some kind of lame rhythm game?

@OnosakiHito
Did you read my post at all? I understand your point of view, and I agree to an extent. But you still cannot make a tournament that is based around catering to everyone's skills/needs/wants. You just can't, there is no way in hell you can make a successful, interesting, and competitive gameplay tournament by ensuring everyone's "opinions" are accounted for and implemented. When you start to cater to everyone's needs, you lose sight of the true goal; to make a competitive and interesting tournament where the best get to show who they are-- and you being to find yourself overwhelmed with players' objections and whatnot, which just causes chaos in which the outcome is.. less that acceptable. Then, in the end, your left with a empty gut feeling and NO ONE is happy. You have to find a medium where
1.) You stay true to the original mindset of making a competitive tournament.
2.) Players can still have an input, but only to the point where it does not interfere with the goal.

You have many players from around the world who wish to show their skills in this competition. But these players have a massive skill gap ranging from FCing mediocre Onis to masters of multiple mods on Inner Oni+. The only way to solve an issue like this is to niche the tournament in one direction or the other. Aiming for a mid to high-end players would be my suggestion (since this is a competition of skill, not fun). This way, those who want and can have a chance for top 4 will be able to and players who can't, can still enjoy the ride.

TL;DR
YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. So entertain the ones worth it, and make them happy first.
OnosakiHito

OnosakiHito wrote:

That's the default manager has gaved us.
Even if I agree, I can't do anything, sorry.
Xakyrie

HashishKabob wrote:

So entertain the ones worth it, and make them happy first.
"Worth it" isn't necessarily the right wording for what you're saying. Why are you giving values to people when all members of the tournament should be treated equally? What you mean to say is rather, you should put a higher priority on higher levels of skill because this is a tournament which determines just that. The function of a tournament is to challenge the best of different nations in a series of trials in skill, in which the end result is a winner. Ascending teams are those who prove themselves to be better than the rest, even if it comes down to accuracy for now (Group Stage is technically for everyone, don't expect stupid hard maps in these rounds). Those who can prevent faltering and show greater consistency will make it.

On another note, I guess if anyone has any suggestions for the upcoming rounds that would like to still submit some maps (and is too afraid to PM Ono), feel free to send them to me. I say this because I have actually come in contact with the majority of the teams and their members thus far and do suspect a level of comfort in discussion (not that this should be a problem). It would also be convenient since I do check my inbox regularly while awaiting replies from the teams for scheduling purposes.
Topic Starter
Loctav
You cant expect from the group stage to be hard and challenging enough for possible finalists. It has always been the case that the apparant strongest teams were bored in groupstage, since the maps were kinda easy. But for the majority, it isn't easy, it's challening.
The filter of the groupstage is to sort out the lesser skilled teams by using maps, that they can still play and compete with.

The filter on knock-out stage is way harsher, since the difficulty jumps will be way more drastic. We consider RO16 or Quarterfinalists as way more skilled than we did on Group Stage, where simply EVERYONE could participate, if they signed up with a team.

Please always consider that the group stage is no stage where the highest tiers of players can show off. But to be counted to the best ones, you need to walk through the "easier levels", too. This is common practise - and you should know that.

Also "entertaining the ones that are worth it" sounds like I should favorize certain parts of players. I actually do so. In Group Stage, we favorize the weaker ones, in Knock-Out Stage, we surely adjust the difficulty to the remaining teams.
And to proof that you are worth it, the easier levels shall be an accuracy fight for you. And if you really want to be called "the best", you shall also be able to be thebest on the easy stuff (which isnt the case many times)

Any discussion about the mappools difficulty in group stage is utterly pointless and I ask you to quit the discussion at this point. Thank you.
AnFace
I want to read all of this but w0w

just replace every map with http://osu.ppy.sh/s/43100

maybe change a note or 2 for variety

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/812 no wait I mean this
totoco
After all i've seen here i can say, that weak teams can actually "use" the tournament for major skill improvement (like i did)
for last 3 weeks i had more progress than in a half of a year :D (lol n00b get out from tournament)

anyway, weak teams fight their best on those "easy" maps, so those with potential might meet stronger opponents and... well.. if their skill will rise enough - even beat them, or at least prove to everyone and themselves that they're worth the competition (hope anyone will understand what i say)
Makar
Time to replace the mp3 with ozzy's
MYRKUL
At this point I'm starting to think we won't have a TWC without discrepancies

@HashishKabob: You just can't adjust TWC only for some players. In that case you would have 4 or 5 powerful countries, and people like me or totoco would never have joined. That's the really unsuccessful, uninteresting and uncompetitive.

But these mappools could be better.
AnFace
I regret reading everything

show more