forum

Taiko World Cup #3 (Concluded - Taiwan wins)

posted
Total Posts
show more
MrDonut

MMzz wrote:

What is wrong with mods? If your team is not good enough to play with them you don't even qualify to be the "best" team. Using mods and still performing well shows how good a player or team actually is. You should all be prepared for a difficulty tournament, not just stupid accuracy wars like the past years.
So if you cant handle hidden or double time then guess you shouldn't participate?
AnFace

hknoboru wrote:

It should be stated at the beginning
this

Adding it in after team rosters are locked is a little messed up considering how these things seem to be focused on winning instead of fun
OnosakiHito
We really need to have a talk as team and if possible really soon.
@MMzz: It must not lead into a acc-war, even without mods. It depends on the Map-selectors selections. Just saying.

Edit: Hey, who edited my post? That's not good.
Ariel

Metro wrote:

Good luck Argentina!
Thank you! We will try the best :)
MMzz

MrDonut wrote:

MMzz wrote:

What is wrong with mods? If your team is not good enough to play with them you don't even qualify to be the "best" team. Using mods and still performing well shows how good a player or team actually is. You should all be prepared for a difficulty tournament, not just stupid accuracy wars like the past years.
So if you cant handle hidden or double time then guess you shouldn't participate?
That's being a little crude. Noone said you can't play, but don't expect to stand a chance against the pro teams that are actually experienced players.
Backfire

MMzz wrote:

That's being a little crude. Noone said you can't play, but don't expect to stand a chance against the pro teams that are actually experienced players.
There's a lot of irony in this, as compared to last tournaments.

What I will say, is, mods aren't particularly a measurement of skill, only skills in particular departments, but not all of them, only certain ones. HR is accuracy, HD is reading, and DT is speed. I don't see how doing really good with just one of those is being a pro team. I know players who can rock shit at ANYTHING but when you play them in HD, they will miss quite a lot. It's not what they're used to, and maybe they don't like it? I know a few chinese/jp players that say they aren't good at HD and they're way better than I am.

Sure you're a better player if you can do all and everything efficiently, but I don't think it's right. I'm not scared over it, just annoyed that it's like this. We were told after we signed up. It's similar to signing up for a hot dog eating contest but then they say "oh well you've been eating normal hot dogs in preperation for this, now you gotta eat em with chilli, onions and mustard! Hope you don't mind! We've been wanting to do this for a long time!"
MMzz
Even if we told you at sign ups you would complain, that's why we waited.
Get over it or don't play. You obviously don't understand pro tier gameplay in taiko.
Topic Starter
Loctav
If you don't want to play Hidden,, HardRock or DoubleTime, don't pick it?
Backfire
Of course.
BrokenArrow
But the opponement team will pick it. :/
totoco

BrokenArrow wrote:

But the opponement team will pick it. :/
And someone will die D:
Topic Starter
Loctav
If everyone dislikes it, no one will pick it.
MMzz
I didn't know strategy wasn't allowed in a tournament.
Nashmun

MMzz wrote:

This. It's like saying : "Pls don't put stream maps because I know team X can play it well and we can't so they will pick it". So what ? If they are stronger at stream maps they can but they MUST pick them if they want to win. I think the same goes with mods.
totoco

Nashmun wrote:

MMzz wrote:

This. It's like saying : "Pls don't put stream maps because I know team X can play it well and we can't so they will pick it". So what ? If they are stronger at stream maps they can but they MUST pick them if they want to win. I think the same goes with mods.

Fair enough.

I just wonder: will all the maps be like Chaosmaid from last year tournament, or there'll be some easier maps for first rounds?
MrDonut

MMzz wrote:

You obviously don't understand pro tier gameplay in taiko.
I thought, the championship is more about expanding community, introducing new people into it and having fun after all. But if talking about pro tier gameplay guess mods are suitable.
MMzz

totoco wrote:

I just wonder: will all the maps be like Chaosmaid from last year tournament, or there'll be some easier maps for first rounds?
The maps will get increasingly harder every round, past the difficulty of chaosmaid. Seeing as chaosmaid isn't hard at all.
Juuryoushin
In fact, put mods in a tournament gives more suspense. (Don't kick me but, the first maps aren't that difficult at the 1st round.)
The most players are actually complaining 'cause they can't play a particular mod, (they judge that by "their own skill", basically.)
But a rule is a rule, and if you don't want to do something, it's your problem.

I must admit that this rule has been announced too late. Else, i don't feel disturbed.
Even if I'm not a "very skilled player" (HardRock brrrr), my main goal here is to enjoy this tournament, and not necessarily win it.
Nobody has the same mentality/ambitions, but well. >:

I still wonder if "mod picks" will be more or less difficult than nomod picks.
Topic Starter
Loctav
We aim for the mod picks have a consistent difficulty with the nomod picks. (The mod self in calculated into this consideration)
Yet it can be not that successful sometimes then we we wish it to have.
Kuro

MMzz wrote:

totoco wrote:

The maps will get increasingly harder every round, past the difficulty of chaosmaid. Seeing as chaosmaid isn't hard at all.
inb4 Anime trans - Hommarju feat. mamiko [mineriko1027`Taiko]

f**k yeah 8-)
totoco

Kuro wrote:

inb4 Anime trans - Hommarju feat. mamiko [mineriko1027`Taiko]

f**k yeah 8-)
lol, (offtop: i'm in love with the girl who cosplayed Lamdadelta... she has crazy smile... and she blocked me yesterday, game will be painfull :D)
also, looks scary to me :D

===edit===

WHYYOUWANNAKILLME?

even on auto it's unbeatable :D
OzzyOzrock
play every song with flashlight

true skill
AnFace

MMzz wrote:

Even if we told you at sign ups you would complain, that's why we waited.
Get over it or don't play. You obviously don't understand pro tier gameplay in taiko.
This is really upsetting. A lot of people are in this for fun and the opportunity to play in a team with friends against other taiko players (pro or not.) But the vibes I'm getting from these posts is that if you aren't a pro then you shouldn't be in this. I understand that there are teams coming into this to try to win, but taiko (and osu as a whole) is just a game. People are taking this a bit too seriously

This has nothing to do with mods
Topic Starter
Loctav
This is the official World Cup of this game. What do you expect?
AnFace

Loctav wrote:

This is the official World Cup of this game. What do you expect?
Definition of GAME
a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

Maybe some fun for everyone involved
OnosakiHito
I'm getting more and more PM's from people because of the TWC, so I will give here an answer to calm the situation a bit down, if possible.

To be honest, I have mentioned this mod-selection one year ago and talked about it with Loctav.
And I need to admit that I support the use of these mods, but just if there is a small number of it. That means you would have a higher possibility for choosing normal maps instead maps with mods. This would mean you are able to stick to a smaller number of mod-maps and specialize yourself for one of them. It would support the view of a strategy way as MMzz mentioned and makes your decision easier if you are gonna go to use them or not as Loctav said(because of the lower amount).

It is really a pitty that it got announced that late, but maybe some of you understand the current situation after my post and I hope you are a bit more statisfied about it right now. Further things will be discussed by the staff and changes -if needed- announced this time soon enough(even though just some days are left).
AnFace
Mods are not the issue right now.

You guys need to realize that not everyone is in here to win. People going around saying "you aren't good enough to play in here" is really an awful thing
Topic Starter
Loctav
Okay, let me clarify some things about modselection.
First: You are never forced to play a match with at least 1 mod. The mappool is designed in a size, that every match can be completely played without the useage of ANY mod.
Also, keep in mind, that not every team is capable of playing every mod. But yet, every team can select a mod only ONCE. This means, that if Team A is good at HD, they can use this advantage only ONCE in the entire match. If they have luck and can also win on HR, they can pick it. But if they are unfortune, the opponent is good at HR and they suck, so it's the opponent's advantage. Also it's very rare that an entire team is good at a specific mod. Usually it's only 1 or 2 of them. And in most cases, the opponent can provide also a player that is doing on this mod good, as well. But the rest of BOTH teams could perform poor, so picking a mod, even if 1 of your team is excellent in it, can be the wrong choice.
If your own team is uncomfortable with mods, don't select them. Be aware that most mod-players can only play excellent WITH their mod, not WITHOUT. From my side, it's very hard for me to FC maps without HardRock, with HardRock it's easy-peasy. For OnosakiHito, it's the same with HD.
So also remember, that if the opponent is only good at mods, and sucks without it, you can still win if you simply pick the nomod picks (which are as difficult in their own shape).

This is strategy. Just because you can't play a certain mod, that doesnt mean that you autolose. It has been seen in the OWC, that most matches had very low mod-selection - and I expect even more on TWC.

Yet keeping mods out makes many of our current participants being unable to reveal their true strengthes (especially they perform way more bad without their favorite mod) - so it's excluding them (I didnt participate on last TWC because I simply can't play without HardRock, and same goes for the majority of the HR/HD players).

Sure this tournament is for you, for having fun. But this is also a World Cup, not a random multiplayer. We give out physical prizes, we stream it to a huge audience, this is the biggest thing happening in Taiko no Tatsujin.
If you want to play like you want, I can understand that. No one wants to exclude you. But sure the main target of this tournament is to please the highest of the highest ot match up and battle for the crown. This can be enjoyable and many people do so. But if you feel you don't fit into this, you have mistaken the purpose of a "World Cup" then.

Unlocking this.

Edit: And yes, I am sorry that the announcement came so late and unexpected. We actually discussed this a lot and came to the conclusion that this might be the best. Also the "system" behind it (as explained above) tries to aim for pleasing everyone. That's why we use it. It's not about raising the difficulty. It's about giving this thing a variety layeer.
OzzyOzrock
lol we're all shit at taiko that's final
Backfire

OzzyOzrock wrote:

lol we're all shit at taiko that's final
gg US A.
lepidopodus
lol, at least I never said about mods neither PM and posts so don't blame me.

Edit: oh god, why 'reject PMs' setting does not work well with mass-PM. Whatever.
AnFace
KRZY
I gave much shit to these guys during the beginning stages of owc. I thought they had no idea what they were doing, and everything they did seemed nonsensical and making things worse than they were. However, after a long discussion with Loctav before the third group stage match, I decided that, no matter how I didn't like their decisions, I must go with them because the staff sees things from every aspect, not only from the player's. And then, throughout the rest of the tournament, I did not have to complain once more because for us at least the tournament went smoothly and without problem.

I think you guys should trust the staff and give them a chance. They may make strange-sounding decisions and they may present it with worse wording. However, they aren't the assholes they might seem to be at first, and at least they have an idea of how they want to do it--and it works, however nonsensical it may look at first.

To players: If you do have problems with their decisions, please ask them privately why their decision was so in a civilized manner. They have good reasons for every decision they make, and they can explain in detail through forum PM. It's when people let emotional bursts out on public forums that things get out of hand.
mliencheng
Mods give more fun to the game, i'm just disappointed why this is announced after the limit date of roster change
HashishKabob
I personally feel mods is a good way to balance the imbalance inside teams (not all teams have players of exactly the same skill level). Plus it adds an interesting dynamic to strategies for song/map selections.

On the same token, a lot of players do not do well with any sort of mod, thus at a disadvantage.

But there are many skill sets an individual can posses for taiko. Some are 1/6th burst+stream masters, some are good with certain mods, some have incredible accuracy or stamina or speed. This diversity of skills is what truly makes a taiko player good. You must be well rounded as a player to be considered the taiko world champion(s). Team diversity and communication is what will win this competition. Not just speed and good reading.

I wish you all the best of luck to this years competition.
OzzyOzrock
maybe i said this

i didn't

but we should have all teams use FL + HD + HR + DT + SD for every match to make it fair
[TaikoTori]
Sigh. Nobody is forcing you to play in the TWC. There are Modpicks, k, and now? Just play. Its not like you will die if you don't win or something xD

Oh, and AnFace, you are contradicting yourself, first saying everyone here wants to win and later mentioning that it is a tournament for fun :P

This Tournament is there to see who really is the best, so i don't see a problem with anything here.

Its not like you can't make a tournament yourself and invite other players to it. The whole year.

Just have fun, its a game, nothing more (:
OnosakiHito

lepidopodus wrote:

Edit: oh god, why 'reject PMs' setting does not work well with mass-PM. Whatever.
Hahaha, I can feel this words.

Anyway, I think it's okay for now guys. As KRZY said, just PM the staff if you have questions or problems.
We will answer you for sure.

So maybe let's start a bit easier with a picture most people know from the TWC 1# and 2#:

As Nashmun say: ,,The anti-disturbing-paper", or so. I have used in the past when I was a praticipant as well!
It did really help me to be less nervours in the tournament. hehe
Cyclohexane
Oh my god the nuclear signs, the rotation isn't exactly 120° why
Yowane _ Haku
back to the osutaiko!
特訓ダ!特訓!
show more