forum

Allow individual mod use in Multiplayer [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +910
Topic Starter
haha5957
First of all thanks to xann for redesigning OP for me!

Reason

The main reason for this request is to have more fun with eachother.
Multiplayer is a mode to spend the time you have with others, it can also be used compete with others and other uses would be practice.
There are cases of close friends that would love to play together but the difference in their skill level is too great. Usually either one would get bored or or sick from playing on a level they don't like or can't handle.

Features
Global Mods
  • The host decides these mods.
    Everyone in the room has to play with these mods.
    Selected mods will appear as big icons in the mod section below the song bar.
Allowed Mods
  • The host decides these mods.
    Every mod will be allowed by default.
    Time changing mods can't be selected here. This is because multiplayer should be played realtime, the host will decide the speed.
    Everyone in the room is allowed to pick from these mods.
    Allowed mods will appear in the "Player Individual Mods" selection menu for each player.
Player Individual Mods
  • Each player can choose the mods that were marked as "allowed" by the host.
    When Double Time is on Nightcore will be available and vice versa.
    Selected mods will appear as little icons next to each player's name.
Alternative Method
  • In case this costs too much work and time for peppy, or whatever the reason might be so Global mod and Allowed mod can't be seperated.
    Just let non-host players in multiplayer room to choose whatever mod that doesn't change playtime. And just add a checkbox, being "Disallow users to select mod individually", so individual mode select can be disabled with it if host wants.

Examples

SPOILER
haha5957 (#3200), ykcarrot(#56) and Seren(#49000) are close friends and made a room to play together, as you can see the differences in their ranks(and probably skill levels) are significant.

So haha5957 selects a standard insane map.
haha5957 sets no global mods and allows all other mods for usage. This means the game speed will be 1.0x.
ykcarrot selects Hard Rock and Hidden.
Seren selects Easy and Relax.
The song ends and everyone had fun.

Seren receives host and selects a standard hard map.
Seren sets Double Time as a global mod. The game speed will be 1.5x.
haha5957 changes his Double Time to Nightcore.
The song ends and once again everyone had fun.

ykcarrot receives host and selects a nearly impossible map.
ykcarrot decides to have mercy on everyone and sets Half Time as a global mod.
xann(#13500) joins the room.
haha5957 doesn't select any mods.
Seren selects Autopilot.
xann selects Easy and SpunOut.
The song ends and everyone was able to have fun

xann receives host and wants to compete haha5957.
xann adds Auto to Allowed mode list, and removes other modes from Allowed mode list.
ykcarrot and Seren selects Auto.
haha5957 and xann doesn't select any mods.
ykcarrot and Seren was able to watch haha's and xann's compete realtime, and once again, everyone had fun.

Zare

haha5957 wrote:

I don't think i need more reason and long stuffs here, seems like we have enough reason here since purpose of multiplayer is to kinda "enjoy together", not "HEY LETS BATTLE!" thingy.
disagree. Multiplayer is a competition to determine who is best. Everyone is supposed to play the same map with the same mods to decide who wins.
Luna

Zarerion wrote:

disagree. Multiplayer is a competition to determine who is best. Everyone is supposed to play the same map with the same mods to decide who wins.
I usually play multi to have fun, not to win. Grab some friends, turn on Skype, laugh at how everyone is failing because playing while talking is hard. Fun times, you should try it.
Zare

Luna wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

I usually play multi to have fun, not to win. Grab some friends, turn on Skype, laugh at how everyone is failing because playing while talking is hard. Fun times, you should try it.
I'm not saying Multi isn't supposed to be fun. You know, challenging your friends can be very fun as well.
Topic Starter
haha5957
ok then. but it wont break its purpose because you can ask people to use same mode. or maybe we can add "force host's setting" or something like that.
DaddyCoolVipper
Support, this'd be nice.
[BlinK]
Support.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

Luna wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

Oh gosh, I love doing this. And bragging about your combo when someone misses, and missing due to that is awesome too.

Also, support.
benguin
Hmm...interesting, I'm going to remain neutral on this one though. Even if I'm playing in a room with people who are much better than and they are playing insanes on dt which is something I'm incapable of, I still just try my best and have fun xD But like Luna said, it's even more fun when you're on skype with the people you're playing with, good fun :3
RBRat3
Big issue is that DT will shorten the song length making enabled users have to wait on normals
Topic Starter
haha5957

RBRat3 wrote:

Big issue is that DT will shorten the song length making enabled users have to wait on normals
my first post already saids that dt and ht should be only allowed by host because it changes playtime..
Keredna
This post is pretty similar to what you're asking i guess http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/97167/start=0
vRiven_old
Yes please ! Support.
G0r
Whenever I get a friend on Osu! for the first time, they always want to play with me, and of course I always either kick their ass at everything, or pick things they can't play and then they get pissed, or I get crazy bored when we play Normals, because they're not good enough for even Hards yet. If I could play those Normals on DT with HD or even DT HD HR, then at least I wouldn't get bored, and it'd give them a way to feel like they're playing well if they can FC the Normal somehow and beat my score because I missed a beat on DT HD HR. I support this request wholeheartedly, and I believe that this will go a long way toward growing the community. It will make the game more multiplayer friendly when your friends aren't already Osu! players.

I understand why some people are saying this is a bad idea, because they're thinking from the perspective of people who compete with other competent players, but honestly it can't hurt anything, assuming that it is something that the host can control, and it could help people like me who are having a hard time finding ways to include their friends in the game.
ann_old
I support this, and yes no half time should be allowed when the host is hosting nomod, but double time should not be a problem? it'll be the choice of the DT user to wait, and the host doesn't suffer from this.
Also additional icons that show which mods you've selected before the song starts (next to your name) would look nice.
Tom69_old
This is an awesome idea. Dropped a few stars. I agree with the previous post.
theowest
Maybe to prove that someone is 1.5x faster than you.
ann_old
It doesn't have to be for showoff, usually when I check out multiplayer there are only "boring" rooms. It'd be nice to be able to play with other people while still choosing your own mods. Playing by yourself isn't always fun, friends are not always online or willing to play either, it's a great opportunity to make more friends too.
theowest
with doubletime, someone will finish 1.5x faster than the others. They'll have to wait.

Big problem there.
ann_old

theowest wrote:

with doubletime, someone will finish 1.5x faster than the others. They'll have to wait.

Big problem there.

xann wrote:

no half time should be allowed when the host is hosting nomod, but double time should not be a problem? it'll be the choice of the DT user to wait, and the host doesn't suffer from this.
No speed reduction should be allowed, if the host hosts a song with DT, everyone will use DT, if the host doesn't put DT then the players can choose for themselves.

Else a mod filter that the host can define per song will come in handy here. the host can decide that nobody may use HT and that everyone has to use DT, the rest of the mods are user's choice. (MUST / NOT ALLOWED filter)
Topic Starter
haha5957
xann's idea feels great to me. if host uses halftime, users can halftime , nomod or doubletime. when host uses nomod, others can doubletime or nomod. if host doubletimes, others are forced to do doubletime.

Waiting time can be tolerated by people who decides to use that mod. Maybe some sort of "just don't if you wanna wait"thing

However if this isnt possible or this is something that peppy dislikes, i still think hardrock, nofail, easy, hidden, flashlight, (autopilot,relax) should be allowed anyways..

Adding "force host's playtime changing mods(default)" , "force host's mods", "no restriction on mod use" would solve every problem listed above i think..
Sakura
Let the host decide which mods are to be used by everyone in the room and which mods are allowed but can be selected by each player individually would be better imo.
ann_old
Sakura's idea is even more ideal.
But some additional icons that show which mods you've selected before the song starts (next to your name) would also be nice incase the host forgets to disable a mod (example: half time) for all players. And then someone chooses HT to troll.
I know it's the host's own stupid fault to not notice, but anyone can make mistakes or get caught off-guard(host going round)
Sakura
Little icons next to each player's name for their individual mods, big icons in the mod section below the song bar for global mods.
Soly
Topic Starter
haha5957
seems like reasons are enough and details are described well by Sakura. I would like to know how peppy thinks about this ;w;
Tanzklaue
one plays with dt.
another one trolls with ht.

I see that happen already.
ann_old

Tanzklaue wrote:

one plays with dt.
another one trolls with ht.

I see that happen already.

Sakura wrote:

Let the host decide which mods are to be used by everyone in the room and which mods are allowed but can be selected by each player individually would be better imo.
and for hosts that forget to restrict some mods:

Sakura wrote:

Little icons next to each player's name for their individual mods, big icons in the mod section below the song bar for global mods.
would help as reminder when someone selects half time
Reyden
Sounds good to me :D
Wishy
Must use mods: mods host is using.
Optional mods: all of them except Easy/Half-time

Example:

Host decides to use Hidden.

Every other player MUST use Hidden, but can add FL/DT/HR if they want.

There also should be an option to disable this feature.
theowest

Wishy22 wrote:

There also should be an option to disable this feature.
yeah, like the room creator can pick which mods can be used.
t/99948
show more