forum

Ability to turn off ingame chat without going offline [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
Nessuka
This is a feature that really should be implemented and would help for those who get the 'chat lag' which occurs from long messages, invalid chars and linked words.

Due to my gaming PC dying, I've had to use my 2004 laptop which can handle the game just fine (offline) but going online (the chat) triggers lag spikes which greatly hinder gameplay, what I', asking is that there could be a way to use online rankings and stuff without the chat.

Possibly a little "Kill chat/Enable chat" button along the bottom where the "show ticker" "hide chat" etc buttons are could work?

Thanks
Suimya
t/59701/start=0&&hilit=invisible maybe something like this?
MillhioreF
For now, just close #osu by right-clicking it in the "New..." channel selector list!
Topic Starter
Nessuka

Sekai-nyan wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/59701/start=0&&hilit=invisible maybe something like this?
not really, no, that's just hiding yourself while leaving the chat functioning still and working in the background.
Sakura
Press F8?
[BlinK]

Sakura wrote:

Press F8?
Topic Starter
Nessuka
Again, missing the point.

Let me explain.

When you press F8 or just hide it, it never actually kills or stops it, if it did, next time you opened it there would be a few seconds of lag or loading (of all the previous messages), it does not do that and that means it is always running no matter what unless you go offline, which is exactly the problem.
[BlinK]
I get no lag and my pc is the worst there is.
Topic Starter
Nessuka

[BlinK] wrote:

Well, things like that are just client differences, like saying "I have no issue running it, and I'm on Windows 98 unlike XP which you're on" and don't really make all that much of a difference on the suggestion at hand.

All I know is that this issue affects me and select others and is caused directly by what I stated in the OP.
deadbeat
so pretty much. it'll be like playing osu offline, just with score submitting :/
[BlinK]

Twilight Sparkle wrote:

[BlinK] wrote:

Well, things like that are just client differences, like saying "I have no issue running it, and I'm on Windows 98 unlike XP which you're on" and don't really make all that much of a difference on the suggestion at hand.

All I know is that this issue affects me and select others and is caused directly by what I stated in the OP.
The issue is, Do you know why its affecting you?.

Because if its not affecting others. It could be something on your end.

I dunno, being halfasleep makes my brain hurt.
[BlinK]
OH WAIT.

2004 laptop

Wow..

I need to l2read.

EDIT: Maybe toggle an appear offline mode, which disables chat and shows people your offline, buuut still connected to bancho.
Sakura
1) Why does it bother you that the chat is running when you cant even see it?

2) If it lags only when you're loading it, then you can control when it will lag, so there's not a problem?

3) If PM/Highlight bothers you, you can disable those in options.

I really see no need to "turn off" the chat.
Topic Starter
Nessuka

Sakura wrote:

1) Why does it bother you that the chat is running when you cant even see it? - It isn't bothering me, it's that even while hidden/closed new incoming messages are still read into the memory and cause stuttering frames, especially when these messages contain unicode chars and/or are links too.

2) If it lags only when you're loading it, then you can control when it will lag, so there's not a problem? - The statement about your previous comment renders this one invalid, what I was saying about lagging while loading was a fact to prove your earlier post was inaccurate to what I was saying.

3) If PM/Highlight bothers you, you can disable those in options. - it has nothing to do with this.

I really see no need to "turn off" the chat. - I do, and I'm sure others (with less powerful computers) will too.
Anzo
Please tell to us what your graphics card is.. I consider "chat lag" as a graphical lag because of how osu! renders text as a chunks of images, I think.
Topic Starter
Nessuka
The infamously bad GMA950 chip on an Intel 945GM chipset.
TheVileOne
98.9999999% chance of this happening.
Asda Meal Deal
Pawsu

ctg1996 wrote:

Can you not bump threads in the completed request subfourm?