forum

[Archived] OBS Causing FPS being halved and 10ms

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CliffordTBRC
Problem details:
I noticed this on the 12th/13th October. I use compatibility mode as it gives me the lowest input lag. Previous to that date I was running Osu in Compatibility mode, unlimited fps and getting around 2-3ms with 210-240 fps. I was able to stream using obs and have the same fps and ms. But as of the 12th/13th of October I believe there was an update to Osu (might be wrong). After this date I had noticed that when OBS is open capturing osu, it would drop down to 93-107fps and id be sent up to 9.3-10ms and it would stay like that up until i exited obs and restarted osu.

I tried restarting Osu whilst obs was still open, same thing happens. I went through and changed fps from unlimited to 120 and vsync, turned off compatibility mode and it still happened while obs is open and capturing osu. I rolled back gpu driver and it still happened, its now on the most recent driver, still has same issue. ive tried limit capture frame rate, multi adapter compatibility, same thing happens.

Im currently using a laptop as I wait for my pc to be returned. It is i7-8550U @1.80ghz, AMD Radeon 535 and it has 8GB's RAM.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
With OBS

Without OBS

osu! version: Stable 20191006.1 (latest)
TakumiBoi
how about this, obs is using a crap ton of your computer capacity but there are some minor things you can do.
im at school rn so this wont be a comprehensive list but i'll edit it when i get time.
1. turn off the preview on obs
2. if possible reduce the pixel output
3. if on laptop you can either plug in the charger to makesure the secondary gpu is off/or disable the secondary gpu under devicemanger
4. this one is simple but close every either program that is unnecessary and running in the background
5. you can change th
Topic Starter
CliffordTBRC
Laptop is plugged in to charger, when i set osu to High performance in switchable gpu settings for amd it goes to 20 fps and 37ms, obs wont capture it. deleting this profile allows me to play in 240fps with 1-3ms. When i open obs, it dies and goes to 10ms, 105fps

Update: I deleted the OBS64.exe profile using high performance in amd switchable graphics settings, for now OBS is capturing and osu is working 240fps, 3ms. After a few mins it went and stayed switching from 17-18-19-20 ms

after disabling preview in obs it stays at 9.3ms. Still not able to play like this. Having osu open with obs capturing is making the input and fps an issue, osu is fine by itself when i run it.
ThomasYou03
You're very much better off going to their Discord and ask for support from OBS experts: https://discordapp.com/invite/obsproject
Topic Starter
CliffordTBRC
I've dug this post up to confirm that my issue is not to do with OBS.
Searching for similar posts i found this one, https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/886181. The issue is the same, and the comment from Polkisss includes screenshots, that replicate my exact issue.

He also has an AMD Radeon 530 GPU, which is exact same family as my AMD Radeon 535.
I have come to a conclusion that this is happening to a lot of people that own laptops with this family of Switchable AMD Radeon GPU's.

I am able to run Osu smoothly on my integrated Intel UHD 620 GPU.
If I Swap Osu to high performance on my AMD Radeon 535 i start lagging and get 10ms input lag.

tl;dr - Don't have Osu run on switchable AMD GPU.