forum

[Serious] How do i "enjoy game"?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Akumaii
Hiya, so i've been getting really mad and feeling frustrated etc. while playing osu, i do have moments where i enjoy the game of course but most of the time i just get mad at things happening, whether its me shitmissing/just missing or my grip slipping or whatever, i know it's all about the mindset, but how do i exactly change my mindset/ take the first steps to changing it? please help, i have huge motivation rn and i've watched the rrtyui documentary not long ago, and i really wanna be like him (in terms of mindset), thanks :)
Lights
Play offline for a month. Don't upload any scores or login to your account. If that doesn't work you might want to find a different hobby
Topic Starter
Akumaii

Lights wrote:

Play offline for a month. Don't upload any scores or login to your account. If that doesn't work you might want to find a different hobby

Are you sure that playing offline will do the job? i've always viewed playing offline as a way to relive stress or just get better to get better plays or smth similar
Endaris
Contemplate what makes the game fun for you.
You seem to very driven by competition and it's arguably difficult to keep a positive attitude as running into plateaus is pretty much inevitable in the long run.
Are there other aspects that make the game fun for you?
Which of these aspects aren't overlapping with the competitive aspect?

On plain bad days, focusing on aspects that have nothing to do with the competitive aspect can keep you in the game.

Beyond that you should also question your own expectations:
Is FCing that map really that easy?
Does a combobreak really detract so much quality from a play just because it doesn't give pp anymore?
Try to be your own judge and don't get pressured by the numbers the system hands out.
Many of the plays I consider my most impressive aren't in my top plays but they still make me feel accomplished because I'm aware of their existence.

Set your own goals and if you can, set maps as your goal, not rank or pp. Getting a 99%+ 1 miss score on a map you set as a goal can be frustrating but being just 1 miss away from the goal or getting no pp at all is still a great difference in terms of perception. This helps me a lot as frustration builds up a lot slower that way and I'll often finish a play that I consider good.
Topic Starter
Akumaii

Endaris wrote:

Contemplate what makes the game fun for you.
You seem to very driven by competition and it's arguably difficult to keep a positive attitude as running into plateaus is pretty much inevitable in the long run.
Are there other aspects that make the game fun for you?
Which of these aspects aren't overlapping with the competitive aspect?

On plain bad days, focusing on aspects that have nothing to do with the competitive aspect can keep you in the game.

Beyond that you should also question your own expectations:
Is FCing that map really that easy?
Does a combobreak really detract so much quality from a play just because it doesn't give pp anymore?
Try to be your own judge and don't get pressured by the numbers the system hands out.
Many of the plays I consider my most impressive aren't in my top plays but they still make me feel accomplished because I'm aware of their existence.

Set your own goals and if you can, set maps as your goal, not rank or pp. Getting a 99%+ 1 miss score on a map you set as a goal can be frustrating but being just 1 miss away from the goal or getting no pp at all is still a great difference in terms of perception. This helps me a lot as frustration builds up a lot slower that way and I'll often finish a play that I consider good.

alright thanks! ill try to do these things
Almost
Why the hell are you getting mad about mistakes? Take ownership of them instead of getting frustrated about them. You don't shit miss for no reason nor is your grip slipping for no reason. Find solutions to your problems rather than just casting them aside as issues that arise out of bad luck or whatever else you're attributing them to.
D3xII
honestly, you just have to want to play osu, even if it makes you mad, osu is a determination-based game, it is also one of the most rewarding, the more you dedicate yourself to it, the more you get better, and enjoy the game