forum

osu! World Cup 2019 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
juankristal
We are currently working on fixing the wiki page. The wording of the FM rework is a bit odd, but once the wiki page is up you will understand the point behind it.
KortezR
"New FreeMod rules implemented. Now both HR and HD are enforced on all FM picks."
Name it ForceMod. It is not FreeMod anymore

"Group stage has been removed. Instead, after Qualifiers we will have a double elimination style Round of 32."
Good change, like it

"Failed scores now do count."
Excuse me what? Why? For what? It is not such kind of tournament where it is needed imo
Data Bytten
assuming failed scores is for ease of pooling, if its for any other reason you should revert it. it's not fun for players but from a spectator perspective the ability to come back from nothing is a good reason to keep watching, otherwise the other team can just run their lead ahead and there's no reason to keep watching. yes, it's less fair on the competitors, but the hype factor is undeniable. (also, if you're going to cause something like this, you may as well remove hp from osu! as a whole, no? owc kinda sets a standard like that.) (update; why can teams still pick nf with this rule in place, thats so bm)

assuming hd/hr enforce means someone must take each and not that all members of a team must take one or the other, otherwise you have literally ruined strategy and that is terrible (update; its not thank you)

pick/ban rework; skeptical. assuming it's frontloaded, like ohc? if so, it's fine but not great. probably easier on streamers (a plus) but knowing things ahead of time doesn't give it that ups-and-downs feel tournament is good at providing (highs, then downtime while picks are going on, then highs again). (update; this is actually a nothing of a change lol)

qualifiers change, phenomenal. do this going forward
poolsize i think its fine but im not practicing it ask players on this one
seeding changes probably good (update; well guess we dont know because no public seeding zzz)
scheduling changes probably good (update; not sure what change was but i think this is fine)

will update when wiki running
Sunohara Shun
"The round of 32 and round of 16 will have a 5-2-2-3-2 format
The quarterfinals, semifinals, finals and grand finals will have a 6-3-3-4-3 format"

glad to see this happen <3 having a +1 dt pick is kind of cool since FM is another HD/HR pick so it's normal to have 1 more dt.
sausage948
Looking forward to this OWC! But I have a couple of questions:

1. Will MP links for the qualifier lobbies be released after the qualifier stage concludes?
2. Will you guys attempt to stream all matches in the knockout stage? I know this was always the goal in previous OWCs, but there's a lot more matches this time around. :P
chezbananas

Data Bytten wrote:

assuming failed scores is for ease of pooling, if its for any other reason you should revert it. it's not fun for players but from a spectator perspective the ability to come back from nothing is a good reason to keep watching, otherwise the other team can just run their lead ahead and there's no reason to keep watching. yes, it's less fair on the competitors, but the hype factor is undeniable.

Data Bytten wrote:

it's not fun for players [...] it's less fair on the competitors

you answered your own question
D I O
How are commentators for OWC decided? I really want to commentate matches, so if you are accepting new commentators, I would love to be considered!
AnimeKUNN
What is the minimum Global rank can someone have in order to join the OWC?
Topic Starter
juankristal

sausage948 wrote:

Looking forward to this OWC! But I have a couple of questions:

1. Will MP links for the qualifier lobbies be released after the qualifier stage concludes?
2. Will you guys attempt to stream all matches in the knockout stage? I know this was always the goal in previous OWCs, but there's a lot more matches this time around. :P

MP results will be released after the qualifier stage concludes. Ideally with MP links too, but since they will be private it could take a while.

We will also attempt to stream all matches on the knockout stage though we cant promise it. From Quarterfinals onwards we will 100% stream all matches (unless there is a reschedule and ends with overlapped matches)
Topic Starter
juankristal
Also, we oppened the applications for staff positions!
MasterAnimit

juankristal wrote:

We will also attempt to stream all matches on the knockout stage though we cant promise it. From Quarterfinals onwards we will 100% stream all matches (unless there is a reschedule and ends with overlapped matches)

So why didn't you do second stream, like pepole ask you (afaic) from 2017?
Another Flower
Personally, I dislike the change about fail scores. I think if the tournament don't want to see players failing, they can just avoid picking Dopamine or Knight of Nights maps. Players need to take care on their hp bar, and it's just what they should do to reach victory imo.

I like other rule changes, but I think a secondary livestream is needed. Because even there're only 16 matches at maximum in a single weekend (which is way less than Group Stage's 48), it's not easy to avoid schedule overlap, and double streams could give staff and teams more space to choose their match time.

Another thing annoys is that the wiki page seems not updating frequently and on time. I checked MWC4K page and the results of GF is still not updated, and the same thing happened in the last year iirc? I can understand that keeping updating the wiki page is hard work, but I hope I can find the newest and the most accurate information about our world cup there.
wimble
I think the inclusion of failed scores kills a lot of the hype, I think it makes the players a lot less nervous if they have a dominant lead and it's a skill in itself to hold your nerve at the end of a map.
Zephyte
failing was a part of being able to do a comeback/nerves being actually dangerous/high hp maps especially hard if you feel nerves or the situation is a really "tense" one etc. etc. I agree with a few others that I dont like that one change at all. Failing is always something "looming" over someones head. It might have been introduced so that potential freezes etc. dont render the score completely useless, but meh. Picking hard maps or generally playing in this environment might be nerve-wracking, but the possibility of missreading/missaiming etc. was always an integral part of the game and why you always hope for this not to happen to anyone, its part of the game. Might as well remove HP out of the game if you can apply NF on all maps.

Qualifier-determined seedings instead of rank seedings is great, really nice change! This transitioning into a ro32 sounds cool.

The "Freemod" change confused quite a few people but with it being rewarded at the wiki page it seems decent enough. One HD and one HR at least required per team, more mods just being a possibility is nice- strategy aspect remains and thats a good thing.

Not sure about one additional DT map later on, but we will see how it works out. Could work as balance compared to HD/HR/FM pools, but take care to not make the overall pools too targeted at a specific skillset aka high ar/bpm only. Should be a good part but not all (but you know that either way, so not worried here).

Also hyped, thanks for once again spending so much effort, I wish the whole staff team as much fun and hype with this as your average viewer and hopefully players will have. Hope your hard work is rewarded and everything goes smoothly
MerfoldeSharke
Those, who passed to the cup:
#1 – USA
#2 – UK
#3 – Poland
#4 – Canada
#5 – Brazil
#6 – Germany
#7 – Taiwan
#8 – Australia

#9 - South Korea
#10 - Netherlands
#11 - China
#12 - Russia
#13 - Indonesia
#14 - Romania
#15 - Hong Kong
#16 - Sweden

#17 – France
#18 – Norway
#19 – Japan
#20 – Italy
#21 – Austria
#22 – Mexico
#23 – Singapore
#24 – New Zealand

#25 – Finland
#26 – Denmark
#27 – Chile
#28 – Belgium
#29 – Czech Republic
#30 – Spain
#31 – Latvia
#32 - Turkey

Those, who didn’t:
#33 – Argentina
#34 – Malaysia
#35 – Uruguay
#36 – Slovakia
#37 – Philippines
#38 – Portugal
#39 – Ukraine
#40 – Israel
#41 – Hungary
#42 – Vietnam
#43 – Switzerland
TimeFleeze
I have a problem.
Indonesia and Romania have same
(Weighted Average)15.1875
Why Indonesia is seed 13 and Romania is seed 14?
Topic Starter
juankristal

Time Frozen wrote:

I have a problem.

This is because based on our second metric (map average) Romania did better than Indonesia. Romania scored 14.7 and Indonesia 15.7
TimeFleeze

juankristal wrote:

Time Frozen wrote:

I have a problem.

This is because based on our second metric (map average) Romania did better than Indonesia. Romania scored 14.7 and Indonesia 15.7

Wait....“Romania did better than Indonesia”,I think that Romania is seed 13 and Indonesia is seed 14,Romania's seed is higher than Indonesia.
sausage948
Is there any ETA on when the MP links for the Qualifiers will be made available? I want to make the Map Rankings spreadsheets I made in the previous years (such as this one I made for the OWC 2018 Group Stage), and I would like to make one for the Qualifiers as well. I don't mean to come across as impatient (I'm fine with waiting a bit for these MP links), but I would like to know how long I can expect to wait if possible.
Topic Starter
juankristal

sausage948 wrote:

Is there any ETA on when the MP links for the Qualifiers will be made available? I want to make the Map Rankings spreadsheets I made in the previous years (such as this one I made for the OWC 2018 Group Stage), and I would like to make one for the Qualifiers as well. I don't mean to come across as impatient (I'm fine with waiting a bit for these MP links), but I would like to know how long I can expect to wait if possible.

There won't be available. We have all the players scorings on them if you wish to use them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ6XcrNVDiTZP9C2Cq59sGC5X50NvzkLtv7D7OttD9MDR59CAB9KvVZ8noo197qs5Ltwfg5TnEoE8tq/pubhtml#