forum

Offline High score uploading?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
Hiya, I'm a person who has a somewhat limited internet connection (OK, it's a total rip off), and I was wondering if it is at all possible to include a feature where the scores reached in offline mode are added to your online ranking. I don't know whether this is feasible, but is it a possibility?
Echo
I believe peppy said that the current method of storing scores locally is too insecure and could be easily compromised, making it easier to "cheat". However, I'm sure it can be done if you bug peppy ;P
Jarby

Echo wrote:

I believe peppy said that the current method of storing scores locally is too insecure and could be easily compromised, making it easier to "cheat". However, I'm sure it can be done if you bug peppy ;P
There isn't a secure way to prevent players from cheating.
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite

Echo wrote:

I'm sure it can be done if you bug peppy ;P
Yeah, or i could get banned ;P

I suppose it would only be too easy to make an aimbot or something for Osu! and uploading from a local offline machine would make it impossible to track.

Is it possible to make the local scores harder to access?
Echo
It shouldn't be hard to make it impossible to cheat an offline score (impossible being a relative term).
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Jarby
If the internet has taught me anything, it's that anything can hacked or exploited. The risk isn't worth it.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
Ok, I understand, thanks for informing me on this though.
awp

peppy wrote:

This is bad news for the 0.0001% of you without internet connections, but hopefully that will change for you (when you get a better net connection) in the near future.
So long as the client remains functional I don't think there's any major reason to complain.
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite

awp wrote:

So long as the client remains functional I don't think there's any major reason to complain.
You have a point. Osu! still runs offline. Which is a good thing :)

That reminds me; for some reason Offline local scores and online local scores are different. Is there a reason for that? Say I finished a level offline and got a B grade. when Online, Osu! doesn't see that B grade even when in offline high scores.
James
practice offline, then play online for scores?
awp
and obscure your statistics
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite

awp wrote:

and obscure your statistics
Yeah... Some people must be like the prosecutors in Ace Attorney: They only do it for the perfect win record. For som reason that's NOT the reason I want to be playing Osu!
Ekaru
It's because often, FCing an easier difficulty can get you a higher score than getting, say, a B on a harder difficulty. All the B does then is not get you any points, and just brings down your accuracy, hence being pointless, because it brings down a statistic. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how most people like that think, and how I sometimes think. ;P

Go go pointless stats that people still care about for some reason! ...<_<; ...Including me sometimes. XP

and I recommend practicing with Spun Out. That way, you can 'balance' (as in, make your accuracy unaccurate) your statistics while chatting at the same time - the new way to do things! Then you go and get an S. Using Spun Out to practice also has other benefits, which I'm too lazy to mention. ex: Keeping your 8ness/9ness going.
Mickeyps
I beat 6 songs... Turns out my internet cut out as soon as I started the first song due to an error from the provider :(
Shiro
Don't bump a 5-year-old thread.

Uploading an offline replay will most likely never be possible. Play the maps again.