forum

[resolved] White screen of death

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
techsnow
Problem details: I've been having this issue on osu recently (started maybe about 2 weeks ago) where every time I am playing I will get a literal white screen of death. My entire monitor turns white (random times) and it only happens while playing osu. The only way I can fix it is by turning off my monitor and turning it back on. Yes, I can hear, move my mouse, and click things while its in white screen mode and its really weird (but I can't see the screen of course). I'm using an acer predator XB241H monitor on 180hz and I have no clue what the issue could be. Sometimes I'll get days I have no white screens at all, sometimes I will get it a bunch and it doesn't go away for a while, and then it will go away. Has anyone had these issues before? I never ran into this problem till recently so I don't know if its an issue with the game or my hardware.

I reinstalled my drivers for my graphics card. Also I always got the white screen while I am in game playing a map, I just got it while I was on the escape menu of a song while texting. Now I am having an issue where after turning my monitor off and back on again, it gives me a black screen and I have to hit the windows key or alt tab and tab back into osu for it to show properly again.

2 Months later: I still am having the same issues. It's really random and it either happens super frequently or not at all. It happens on any skin I play on, and after a long time of testing I still have no clue what might trigger it. I thought waiting on a couple osu updates might help, but that doesn't seem to work. I have tried playing on fullscreen or windowed, still doesn't work. Got a new hard drive, made sure things were closed in the background so osu was the only thing running (to see if it was a ram issue) and still nothing. Only on osu, this doesn't happen in any other game.

Edit: I do play on a dual monitor setup, I have no clue if this could be part of the issue. Here is a picture of said white screen: https://imgur.com/a/6yga8Jd

osu! version: Stable 20190924.2 (latest)
TakumiBoi
i can't guarantee it but it may be a driver issue, can you win+g to check your internal properties inside the game?
Topic Starter
techsnow
I'm not completely sure how to find that. Win+G Doesn't do anything for me because I don't use the game bar and have it turned off because it bugs a lot, unless you mean checking nvidia geforce experience alt+z? I can check again, but I am very sure that my graphics card is up to date.
2IBI
does it say any message? when it turns white and is the white opaque?
TakumiBoi

techsnow wrote:

I'm not completely sure how to find that. Win+G Doesn't do anything for me because I don't use the game bar and have it turned off because it bugs a lot, unless you mean checking nvidia geforce experience alt+z? I can check again, but I am very sure that my graphics card is up to date.

how about through task manager, i'm pretty sure there's a panel to check the parts usage
Topic Starter
techsnow
2IBI, no it is not transparent at all. There is no message. My game doesn't actually close, its just the screen itself that turns into a white screen. If I move my mouse, I can still hear the sounds that come from the game (music, pressing esc and going to main menu, hovering over buttons, etc.), and I can even move my mouse to my second monitor and there is no issue.

TakumiBoi, here is a photo of my PC performance while in game. I took this screenshot while playing a map. When it comes to my processes or background things running, I only have my discord and antivirus running and of corse osu the game itself.

https://imgur.com/a/sP41vXV
Topic Starter
techsnow
I've researched a couple of other older threads that had similar issues, such as disabling bloom and softening which are already disabled on my osu. My drivers are all updated and I still have the same issue. I don't know if using compatibility mode would help or not, but when I tried to use it, it would give me a little bit more MS delay so I didn't really want to use if it possible...

I don't think its an issue with memory either, I made sure to close out everything in the background, even stopped my antivirus from doing backup scans or anything. Wondering if I may need to just uninstall osu and download again, would that work?

My white screen of death happens at random points in my game, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, and sometimes it seems to happen every two minutes or so and it gets really annoying for me. If anyone else can suggest a fix I would appreciate it.

Edit: It seems like after the initial white screen hits, closing osu (through my second monitor) doesn't fix it! It still persists even with the game closed. I have a switch that completely hard resets the monitor and I have to switch it on and off every single time to fix it. Turning the screen off and back on doesn't actually fix it. (usually when I do turn the screen on and off though, it will show the company logo before turning on, but instead it just goes back to the white screen instantly, no logo, nada.)
Death
Seems like an issue with your monitor if messing with it seems to fix the issue? Maybe something isn't connected properly? Try plugging it into a different outlet, make sure the cable that connects your monitor to your computer is also plugged in well.
wikipedia
that ram always at 7,2 gb eh
Topic Starter
techsnow
Death, Well I don't know if that is true or not, since for some reason it ONLY happens when I'm playing osu, no other game do I have this white screen issue. I did what you recommended and plugged it into a different outlet, tightened any loose cables and so far there has been no white screen on osu as of yet, but its random so sometimes it doesn't happen for a bit and sometimes it does. I will update you again if it happens again though, if the problem seems to be fixed this week then it should be resolved. If not, I will probably update or make another thread to see if you guys have any more suggestions.

wikipedia, Yes, in that example, I said that I had osu, discord, and my antivirus (scanning constantly btw) running in the background. With everything off, it usually stays around 2-3gb average.
Topic Starter
techsnow
Nope, it seems like it still is occurring. I was not having any white screen for a solid hour, till it popped up again and then it started happening every couple minutes, so I got off.
Death
Again, I don't see how this could be a software issue if turning off your monitor and turning it back on fixes it. But, if you are sure it isn't some hardware issue either, then I suppose there are some things that you still haven't tried.

Try using the default skin for a bit to see if that makes any difference. Try enabling compatibility mode (even though this gives you slower frame times, it's still worth trying to figure out if the issue appears with it enabled). If this started happening immediately after a driver update, try rolling back those drivers to their previous version.
Topic Starter
techsnow
I know its really strange. Like I said before, I have no clue why this keeps happening, and I don't know if its an osu specific issue. And when I say "turn it off and on" its basically like unplugging it and replugging it back in, it just has a switch on the back so you don't have to do that. Turning the monitor itself off (like the screen without unplugging) doesn't fix the issue and it stays, if that makes sense. The reason why I don't really think its hardware related is because this issue only occurs on osu. I have never had this issue with any other game before.

I have tried using compatibility mode and it seems to fix it? Played for like 2 hours and I didn't get it, but as soon as I turned it off, it started happening again. Compatibility mode is really glitch for me though, like the map backgrounds are weird and I often get a audio failure message from osu on the bottom right of my screen when scrolling through my maps, even though the audio is completely fine. If compatibility mode being off is the issue, is there anything I can do to play with it off and not have white screens? I never had this issue in the past and I always played with it off.

And I don't think its a drivers issue since this has been happening for two months almost, sorta out of the blue and not after driver updates or anything, and I keep all my drivers up to date.
Death
I think if compatibility mode works it is almost certainly a driver issue.

Try uninstalling whatever drivers you currently have installed using Display Driver Uninstaller and then redownload them from your GPU manufacturer's website.
Topic Starter
techsnow
I uninstalled all my nvidia drivers with the DDU program and reinstalled, it still seems to be happening.
Death
No clue then. Maybe try rolling back your drivers to some older version (before you started having this issue) instead of installing the latest ones.

In my opinion this is either some weird driver/OS issue or a hardware issue and you haven't played with compatibility mode enabled for long enough to actually experience any issues with it. I can't think of anything else that would cause a white screen that can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting your monitor. Maybe you can also check to see if you happened to install a Windows update around the time you started having issues, and if you did maybe consider rolling that back as well.
Topic Starter
techsnow
It actually just happened to me during compatibility mode now. I guess its a hardware issue? What should I do now?
Death
I'd still just to see if you happened to install a Windows update right around the time this started just in case. Again, not really sure what could be causing behavior like this.
Topic Starter
techsnow
Doesn't seem like it. My old post was about 3 months ago and I said it happened at least two weeks before that, so around early July, and my oldest updates I have recorded is around early August. Even if I wanted to see if I did, there doesn't seem to be any history of anything older.

Edit: The issue could possibly just be monitor specific, since I have two monitors and I might have found something out. I don't know if I just haven't encountered the issue yet or not, but it seems like playing on my second monitor (not having my main one plugged in) doesn't give me a white screen, but having my predator monitor only plugged in gives me a white screen still.
Topic Starter
techsnow
I think I have finally found what the issue was. It seems like me overclocking my monitor to 180hz made it not like osu or something...? I have kept my monitor hertz rate to 144 and the issue seems to have just disappeared. I don't know why this fixed it, and I have no clue why it gave me a white screen for overclocking the refresh rate. I have played osu for about 3 days now with no issue.

Seems fixed. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and helping!
show more