forum

PAXAUS 2019 Tournament (need assistance)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Brutalbic
Edit:
Thanks everyone who commented, I had a chat with a few of you and got a lot of helpful information.
We will use the feedback from some of you who I spoke to on Discord, as well as from some of you who attended to bring a much better and larger one next year!

-----

Hey all!

I'm one of the deputy managers for PC Freeplay this year at the gaming convention PAXAUS in Melbourne.

This will be my 6th year volunteering at the convention, previously I know many players in the Australian community who have attended over the years and quite a few of you have been playing Osu - I told them keep playing (we monitor gametime stats) and one day we might do a tournament for it.

I've helped out and participated in a few Australian Taiko tournaments in the past, and for the first time ever we not only will have Osu pre-installed on the PC area computers but we are also planning on having a tournament as well!

Previously the tournaments I have participated in have gone for several weeks with 1 round each weekend, double elimination.

Unfortunately the convention only goes for 3 days so I'm trying to come up with ideas on how we should run this.

Lets get down to it

The Details:
  1. Standard only tournament (may change if we do it again next year)
  2. Keyboard & Mouse Setup (User can bring their own tablet if preferred)
  3. Using some of the standard map packs since they would be the most common
  4. About an hour or two dedicated to this tournament

Its okay for us to run something that isn't strictly competitive, and its the kind of game that I'm sure will attract a lot of non-professionals. So having a totally casual tournament that's more like people just playing together for fun is okay.

If anyone else run a single day tournament or would have any suggestions on how this could work would be greatly appreciated, if this goes well we might do it again with more planning ahead next year.
GranDSenpai
YES
Monk Gyatso
I wont be defeated
Jordan The Bear
Will be there to bend Monk
Dumii
I will pump Monk Gyatso.
Gala
keen to watch Monk Gyatso get fucked
cavoeboy
Hey!

I've got quite some experience being around and hosting my own tournaments for around 2 years, including a couple very short tournaments (1 and 2 day duration) and organizing COE2019 (LAN event) where we also had a tournament.
I would be more than willing to help out and can get you in contact with the entire osu! tournament community to make sure this tournament runs smoothly.

Since you mentioned there's only 2 hours dedicated to this tournament, that leaves you with very few options. There's a lot of factors that affect match length and thus tournament length.
There's the amount of PCs available, the best of, bracket size and a lot more. I don't think I'll be able to explain everything just in this post so it's better to send me a message on Discord (cavoeboy#0001) with your ideas and how you'd like everything to go down and we'll work out something cool :)
Topic Starter
Brutalbic
Thanks Cavoeboy. Yeah I realise there is very few options on how it can be done, the as mentioned in my post we've only done very lengthy ones (I think they went for like 5-6 weeks with a round each weekend).

Depends how things go this year will decide whether this will happen again next year, if it goes well or the tournament slots get filled up really quickly we could expand on this next year, maybe even cast some of the matches on twitch live from the convention with the special tournament client.

I'll definitely be in contact with you soon :)
deflateddolphin
I'd love to help with the map pools.
I've been pooling for tournaments for about a year now, and you can see most of my experience on my profile.
Feel free to contact me through discord at Deflateddolphin#2495
Cindergoat
Hello! I would like to help reffing in your tournament! I have reffed in a lot of small tournaments since last year, such as osu! Tinder Tournament, Banger Bonanza and Loved Tournament. I attended COE2019 and watched the tournament Cavoe hosted so I get how it will work at your gaming convention.
Edit: Legend#3817 on discord
phophicles
Hey man,
I'd be keen to do the mappooling for this tournament, been pooling for a while and I have some experience with open bracket, my discord is phophicles#5154 if you want to contact me
Kano
Keen
Delis
KEEN
ahmad
A lot of the top Australian osu! players will be there on saturday