forum

New tablet recommendations / where to buy CTL/CTH-480 these days

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sick Like Me
Hello,
I came back into the game recently, but my tablet is not in the best shape anymore, so i decided to buy a new one. Id like to hear some recommendations, until now i played with Wacom CTL-480 and it was perfect. If i could, I would buy the same one again, but since this model is hard to get these days (maybe through ebay but i dont like shopping via this website), I was wondering what model should i pick. I thought going for CTL-4100K is the best option becouse it should be just a new version of CTL-480 i guess? But Id be happy to hear your thoughts about this tablet or other options. Price doesnt matter much, I want something that will work for next couple of years (I have been using CTL480 for almost 6 years and its still usable.)
Implojin
get a tablet cover if your 480 is still working, ctl-480 is still the best
Topic Starter
Sick Like Me
Does it somehow affect my gameplay while dragging? I never used it. Also the problem is that sometimes cursor just stops, it doesnt happen very often but still. And i dont think its pen issue, becouse I maybe kinda spilled my coffee on the tablet surface XD.
Ayayano
Go to foxbox.io, their covers are niice imo.

Does feel different but in a good way
Edit: i drag and i like the covers a lot
Topic Starter
Sick Like Me
Ok thanks. Btw if any of you guys know some really trusted website where i can buy CTL/CTH-480, i would be happy. I like this tablet a lot but i think ill seriously need a new one soon. Price doesnt matter to me.
dung eater

Implojin wrote:

subjective

or if you have found any objective comparisons on tablets it would be nice to see.
Vuelo Eluko

placeholder wrote:

Implojin wrote:

subjective

or if you have found any objective comparisons on tablets it would be nice to see.
Subjectively the best because of how proven it is.
A tablet is still a tablet at the end of the day, but as a pilot you're still probably feeling more comfortable flying a boeing 767 than some design that JUST rolled off the assembly and has never been flown before. Are there any unforeseen problems or structural weaknesses in the design? It's psychological. The build quality is definitely a concern in tablets in particular, especially newer ones that cut more and more corners as time goes on.

Stuff like polling rate is vastly overstated in importance, you aren't magically going to hit jumps more often if you've got a 200 per sec poll rate instead of 133.

I'd say being proven is even more important in osu! than in planes, because frankly tablets gain NOTHING that improves usage for osu! in newer versions.
dung eater

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

placeholder wrote:

Implojin wrote:

subjective

Subjectively the best because of how proven it is.
A tablet is still a tablet at the end of the day, but as a pilot you're still probably feeling more comfortable flying a boeing 767 than some design that JUST rolled off the assembly and has never been flown before. Are there any unforeseen problems or structural weaknesses in the design? It's psychological. The build quality is definitely a concern in tablets in particular, especially newer ones that cut more and more corners as time goes on.

Stuff like polling rate is vastly overstated in importance, you aren't magically going to hit jumps more often if you've got a 200 per sec poll rate instead of 133.

I'd say being proven is even more important in osu! than in planes, because frankly tablets gain NOTHING that improves usage for osu! in newer versions.

Saying something is best requires objective measurement and a criteria by which you evaluate them to me. Most liked, popular or recommended is not enough.

Going up from 133 rps can make your aim and reading sync better magically by decreasing delay. I'm pretty sure delay fucks it up for me in very high cs maps.

I found syncing aim with a mouse much easier and the tablet aim fuckup feels the same as playing on a higher delay monitor (with mouse).
Vuelo Eluko
That's the problem, there's not an appreciable difference between any tablets, save ones for glaring issues like unsolvable input lag or tiny hover distance. It's not like mouse where sensors make or break. A tablet is a tablet.
Implojin

placeholder wrote:

Saying something is best requires objective measurement and a criteria by which you evaluate them to me. Most liked, popular or recommended is not enough.

Going up from 133 rps can make your aim and reading sync better magically by decreasing delay. I'm pretty sure delay fucks it up for me in very high cs maps.

I found syncing aim with a mouse much easier and the tablet aim fuckup feels the same as playing on a higher delay monitor (with mouse).

Hawku tested a bunch of tablets back when the XP-Pen G640 was new. This is the best objective data re: tablet latency/smoothing performance that I've seen.

http://hwk.fi/TabletTest/

If you know of anyone having done similar measurements, I'd like to see them. It would be great if someone would do a comparison test between the newer tablets that claim higher report rates, but I haven't seen any tests more recent than hawku's.

Anecdotally, I own a CTH-480, an XP-Pen G640, and a PTH-660. For osu purposes, the CTH-480 has the lowest latency. (But also a correspondingly lower USB report rate.) Personally (and take this with a bunch of salt because I'm just a terrible 5 digit), I find that when I'm doing fullscreen high bpm jumps I'd rather have a tablet with as close to zero latency as possible, than have 2x the rate of visible cursor position updates. Having your cursor lag behind your hand position due to hardware smoothing is something you adapt to, but it's a handicap that you /don't/ have to play with. The perceptual benefit of a higher hz cursor can help you with tracking, sure, but I think that having a good monitor is more important for eye tracking in this regard.

Also, anecdotally:

Which tablet do you see top 10 players using, time and time again?

If someone asks "Which tablet is best for osu", there's really only one appropriate answer. Is the 480 perfect? Hell no. But it's proven, and that's a heck a lot more than you can say for some random tablet off of aliexpress.

edit: Also, it's true that most tablets are good enough. Some people use a CTL-490. You're not cookiezi or vaxei, you have >= 450ms to read your circles and you really don't need to think about MINIMUM LATENCY. This is just a hardware nerd thing, at least for any player that's not setting top scores.

(I surely would like it if a 1000hz+ USB3.1 tablet with good tracking existed, though, just to reduce jitter.)
Topic Starter
Sick Like Me
I want CTL-480 mostly becouse i used it for almost 6 years and never encountered any problem and I was happy with it. Anyway, today my friend told me that he has a CTH-470 almost never used, and offered me that if i want he will sell it to me for ridiculously low price. So i will test it and if im satisfied with it ill just use this one.
epikness

Sick Like Me wrote:

I want CTL-480 mostly becouse i used it for almost 6 years and never encountered any problem and I was happy with it. Anyway, today my friend told me that he has a CTH-470 almost never used, and offered me that if i want he will sell it to me for ridiculously low price. So i will test it and if im satisfied with it ill just use this one.

cth 470 is basically a older cth-480. It should be basically the same with some very very minor differences.