forum

Worried about injury

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UhhDorable
So to start with a bit of backstory, I started playing osu a little over a year ago I think, but took a break and picked it up again this spring. Up until last week I've been able to play without any problems, slowly improving and climbing the ranks. However since last week I've gotten worried that I might have injured my fingers in some way. I used to be able to stream up to 220bpm when warmed up, but now whenever I try to stream anything above 160bpm my fingers completely lock up, they don't click at all not even slowly. Bursts up to 5 notes maybe 7 is no problem, but longer than that is when I lock up. I play with mouse and keyboard, right hand aiming with mouse and left hand clicking the keyboard, you know the standard.

I can't say for sure exactly when this started, but it was around a week ago. Singletapping (I singletap, I don't alternate) is no problem even towards higher bpms such as 220-240. I don't experience pain of any sort when playing either. For those wondering about how I position my hand if that affects it in any way, I rest it on the handrest provided with my keyboard and keep my fingers bent when tapping as opposed to straight fingers. I use the index- and middlefinger for tapping.

So basically I'm worried about potentially having injured my hand/fingers in some way. I know getting a doctors opinion would likely be a better evaluation. But getting a doctors appointment isn't as accessible as writing a forum post so I'm giving this a shot. Any and all answers containing help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
UhhDorable

EDIT: By "bent fingers" I meant that I am curling my fingers as I play. Thanks for this tip, but I don't need to hear it another 20 times.
abraker
curl your fingers
samX500
Is there a government departement dedicated to help lost child find their way home? If not we might want to establish one.

Anyway, you can use this to get back home
ColdTooth
curl your fingers
Topic Starter
UhhDorable

abraker wrote:

curl your fingers

ColdTooth wrote:

curl your fingers

Could you elaborate on what you mean?
ColdTooth
If you curl your fingers you can reduce the strain on your fingers, allowing them to tap slightly more efficiently. Takes a bit of time, but it's highly worth it once you get the structure.
abraker
Possibly relevant: http://pianoscience.blogspot.com/2013/06/collapsing-fingers-simple-illustration.html

Also what we mean by curling your fingers is you bend them inward more
Topic Starter
UhhDorable
Oh, that's what I meant by this part, english isn't my first language so I may have phrased it wrong.

UhhDorable wrote:

...keep my fingers bent when tapping as opposed to straight fingers.

Thanks for the link, I've only skimmed through it a bit for now but I'll be sure to read it more thoroughly.
Vuelo Eluko
curl your fingers
Westonini
curl toe
Vuelo Eluko

Westonini wrote:

curl toe
Make me 😼
Westonini
pentaqola
i will just steal some toes for a moment brb
Cahyono29