forum

Lyrics Field? [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Azure_Kite
What about a Lyric's field, possibly at the bottom of the play field?
Zatoichi
What?
Sinistro
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

James
just storyboard it, it would take time though
Gemi
Lyrics support has been asked for many times. I personally think it's an addition worth making at some point, but there are more important things to include first.
An64fan
This was asked rather recently, actually. Peppy said no. And to just storyboard it, as whatever text you could pull out onto a graphics program would be a hell of a lot nicer than some boring or ugly font you'd be stuck with using if the editor had something for lyrics.

Tbh the only lyrics support that I'd really like to see is maybe a pull-down box on the main menu if the mapper added, say, a lyrics.txt in the .osz. (Feature request, maybe?)
Echo
Don't forget you need to time it when you do lyric subtitles.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
AceOfArrows
StepMania already does this, and it's been an option for years. Of course it's rather unlikely that the person playing the song is going to use the lyrics, but sometimes people do watch you play (although I suppose that depends where you sit in your house), and popular songs do sometimes compel people to sing along.

Also, .lrc is the format used by StepMania as well, and it is a very simple format to use. I've actually written a good number of lyric files myself; you basically give a time cue for each line (it's capable of thousandth-of-a-second accuracy) and tell it what to display at that point. You can even code in a color to display the lyrics in if you so desire.

Let's not forget that if Peppy were to code it the right way, he could make it so lyrics display somewhere while listening to music on the main menu, or in the extended chat (somewhere where there's a bit of room, of course, although in the extended chat that might be a tall order), as time cues in .lrc files depend not on the notes but on the actual music file itself.

.lrc format supports per-word highlight, which I suppose, if you had the patience, could be used for per-syllable highlight.

Another idea would be, if you're beatmapping for an anime song, just stick in a video from a fansubbed version that comes with karaoke-style lyrics. I've also done that a whole bunch of times. That makes it so you don't have to do a .lrc file for that particular song (although in my experience, fansub lyrics are ocassionally a bit or more incorrect, so if you have any knowledge of the Japanese language, you may want to check the fansub's accuracy first).
LuigiHann
I'm in favor of throwing in LRC support, just because it would be easy. Clever mappers could probably use it to add custom subtitles as well.
Echo
Of course, the extension would be .osl or something right :P
LuigiHann

Echo wrote:

Of course, the extension would be .osl or something right :P
Why? Wouldn't it be simpler to just accept lrc files as-is?
CheeseWarlock
I'm neutral on this. There seems to be a fair amount of community support for it, and I don't see any downsides to it. And no, I think it should just be .LRC, since then people could use it with their own media players. Let's not pull a Sony and make things proprietary when they don't have to be.
Echo
I wasn't being serious ;P
Jarby
This feature would be even better if you could set 'lyric bookmarks' in osu!, as when for the lyrics to start, instead of having to manually edit the .lrc file.
CheeseWarlock
Gens