forum

[Guideline Change - osu!catch] - Overall Difficulty

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JBHyperion
So currently we have this Guideline in the osu!catch RC's General section:

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. For cases where the two values are not equal, the Overall Difficulty should be less than or equal to the Overall Difficulty of the next hardest difficulty.

I think what this rule/guideline was initially meant to prevent was cases where a top-diff had lower AR (and therefore OD) than the diffs below it as a stylistic choice / gimmick, in order to ensure harder diffs gave more Ranked score.

However if this is the case, the current wording does the complete opposite: permitting you to use higher OD than normal on lower diffs up to and including the AR/OD of the diff above. I don't see a case where this would be beneficial at all, so this seems like a mistake.

I think what you wanna say to achieve the effect I mentioned previously is:

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. If a difficulty uses a lower Approach Rate than one or more difficulties in the tier below it however, the Overall Difficulty should be equal to that of the highest Overall Difficulty value in the lower tier.

I make the distinction of "difficulty tiers" (e.g. all diffs labelled as Rain fall under the same difficulty tier) since variation in OD (and thus score) amongst difficulties in the same tier doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Simple example use case - Overdose AR lower than Single Rain

Rain: AR/OD = 9
Overdose: AR = 8.8, OD = 9

Complex example use case - Overdose AR lower than one or more Rains

Rain 1: AR/OD = 8.5
Rain 2: AR/OD = 9
Overdose: AR = 8, OD = 9

Unless I maybe totally misinterpreted the wording of this, in which case I am an idiot sandwich.
Secre
i agree
wonjae
ar 8 od 9 is nasty
fayew
i agree pleasechangethanks
Topic Starter
JBHyperion
Additional note that this might be a good time to incorporate "you can use lower OD to prevent score underflow on extremely long maps" (or something like that) as well.
Ascendance
I'm worried about using the term "tier" because we don't really have a definition for something like that, I'd change it to "difficulty level" instead because that term is used more.

JBHyperion wrote:

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. If a difficulty uses a lower Approach Rate than one or more difficulties in the difficulty level below it however, the Overall Difficulty should be equal to that of the highest Overall Difficulty value in the previous difficulty level.

Or something. Tier technically sounds better but should probably keep things consistent. Otherwise, I'm cool with pushing this rule.
Topic Starter
JBHyperion
Difficulty level is fine too

You're totally not traumatised by Tier Lists still I see
Ascendance
Alrighty, this seems like a pretty simple rewording so let’s go with uhhh a week’s worth of discussion time for the following proposal:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. If a difficulty uses a lower Approach Rate than one or more difficulties in the difficulty level below it however, the Overall Difficulty should be equal to that of the highest Overall Difficulty value in the previous difficulty level.

You’ll have until Monday, September 23 at 4:00 UTC to leave your input. If there are no open discussions that warrant revision by this point, the proposal will be amended into the Ranking Criteria with immediate effect.
Xinely
Agree also i thought od and ar should be same since long time ago
Bunnrei
nitpick gang (additions in italics)

Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as Overall Difficulty does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the maximum score of a difficulty. However, if a difficulty uses a lower Approach Rate than one or more difficulties in the difficulty level below it however, then the Overall Difficulty should be equal to that of the highest Overall Difficulty value in the previous difficulty level.

other than that it seems gucci
pishifat